2008-2009 Mlb offseason

For 7 years. Enjoy the first four, and then I'll laugh as you're stuck with a huge, bloated contract while a 400 pound CC sits on the DL.

However unlikely this is, I'm hoping he has an awesome first three years, then decides to opt out hoping for even more money and the Yankees don't resign him. I'd be surprised if he made it four years without landing on the DL for a lengthy period of time.

regarding the mets' BP acquistions - on paper, it looks great. but as a friend of mine who hails from the great state of Missouri would say, "show me!" :p iow, i'll believe it all when i see it :)

sabathia is a nice pickup for the yankees. a little too much coin for my tastes. but the yanks will need all the help they can get imho. they really need another bat...

Couldn't agree with you more. Personally, I'd rather have the 7 years and 161 million go to Teixera (and a little extra even) as I think the Yankees would have gotten more bang for their buck. In my opinion, an everyday, switch hitting, high on-base % bat with power and solid defense has slightly more value than an every 5 day ace. But it's what the Yankees needed, and still need.

EDIT: And speaking of bats, Mike Cameron is not the bat I was looking for. We're better off with Brett Gardner in center - better defense, faster, although with much less power, and a helluva lot cheaper. Bad move in my opinion trading away Cabrera for him - I really hope this deal falls through.

did the cameron for cabrera deal go through? i agree; i would never trade a young dude like that for cameron. he is decent but is not what the yanks need imo. he is boom or bust and has lost a half a step or two in the OF. admitedly, cabrera had a crappy year last season. but one crappy season does not a career make :)

as for my beloved phils :love: there's talk that they made an offer to RHP d lowe. he is taylor made for that rinky-dink ballpark they play in and he's sturdy (which i like). they need another bat, too, in the OF to replace burrell...although i wouldn't mind seeing him get resigned. dude took a ton of flak over the years in philly and kept his chin up. not many dudes can say that :) at least in that town!

The Cabrera - Cameron deal has not yet been completed. Fortunately, they've hit a snag where 1) the Brewers want Cabrera plus pitching, something the Yankees will not include and 2) The Yankees want the Brewers to pick up some of Cameron's salary, which is highly unlikely.

If the Yankees were to acquire Cameron, they would have added two players (Swisher and Cameron) who hit for some power, strike out a ton, and don't hit for average. How is that improving the offense?

Darn, Heilman and Joe Smith gone. I liked them. Putz's stuff isn't amazing and I have doubts about his ability to handle New York. Reminds me of the Braden Looper acquisition for some reason.

Lannan, Zimmerman, and perhaps Milledge if he turns it around big time in 09 are all possibilities. They gotta start somewhere, otherwise anybody good they develop or acquire is just going to leave via free agency. After 102 losses, the Nationals aren't going to turn into a free agent hot-spot overnight.

Lannan is good. Zimmerman is overrated, everyone talks about him being the Nats cornerstone. It's been 4 years and he's still a mediocre player. Milledge isn't going to turn it around. They're not going to be a hotspot, but if they acquire Teixiera, that's a big improvement over what they have. And it will put some people in the stands.

swisher should be nice. he's solid. but i'd never part w/ a dude as young as cabrera for an old dude like cameron. guy's seen better days imho. and strikes out a ton to boot. he'd get crushed in nyc after he strands a few runners.

btw, how sweet would it be to see manny in pinstripes :lol: i could see him doing it just to stick it to the bosox (and to go 'home', too).

addit - zimmerman is the real deal imho. granted, he could probably hit some more. but he as sound as there is at the hot corner. put him into a lineup w/ some protection and he's .280-.290 w/ 30/100. also, i get the impression that the nats' new park is spacious. no? i mean, a pitcher's park? i thought it was the other way around when last season began...perhaps our nats' fan/s here can elaborate?

addit - zimmerman is the real deal imho. granted, he could probably hit some more. but he as sound as there is at the hot corner. put him into a lineup w/ some protection and he's .280-.290 w/ 30/100. also, i get the impression that the nats' new park is spacious. no? i mean, a pitcher's park? i thought it was the other way around when last season began...perhaps our nats' fan/s here can elaborate?

The problem is that he has no protection. With Teixiera (or really, anyone that doesn't suck) he could be doing a lot better. He does play in a spacious park, but it didn't seem that way with the Nats pitching.

swisher should be nice. he's solid. but i'd never part w/ a dude as young as cabrera for an old dude like cameron. guy's seen better days imho. and strikes out a ton to boot. he'd get crushed in nyc after he strands a few runners.

So will Swisher. Stayed tuned...

btw, how sweet would it be to see manny in pinstripes :lol: i could see him doing it just to stick it to the bosox (and to go 'home', too).

Manny in Pinstripes...
Makes me cringe more than a Cabrera - Cameron swap. The guy's a mercenary - granted we 'buy' a lot of our players too (see: Sabathia), but his selfish act doesn't belong anywhere near the Bronx, with the sole exception of him being in visitor's gray.

Looks like we got a 50-50 shot at landing A.J. Burnett too (with the Braves as the other possible/likely destination). Great, Carl Pavano the 2nd... And this time for more than twice the money!

And how about Cole Hamels calling the Mets "choke artists?" :lol:

Damn the philllies got Ibanex I wanted him.

And now the Yankees got Burnett too - 5 years, $82.5 million. Anyone want to start a pool of how many separate times Burnett lands on the DL? I say 5 over the course of the deal.

That's alot to give to a guy who might be 4th in this rotation...behind Sabathia, Chamberlain, and Wang I would assume?

I thought he was a lifetime .500 pitcher. Hell, depending on what is going on with Hughes, he might be fifth.

when healthy, he's got filthy stuff. of course, that's a big IF whether he can stay healthy. but i saw him pitch plenty when he was w/ florida. dude's got a really good arm and is a solid no.2 imho.

Hmm, Cards pick up Khalil Greene (lifetime .248, 2008 .213), and decide not to offer anything to Aaron Miles (lifetime .289, 2008 .317). Now I know that batting average ain't everything, and Miles is more at home at second than at shortstop, but....

yes, but i can't help but think of the last time that StL acquired a SS from SD... :p

greene has a little pop in his bat and SD isn't really a hitter's paradise. so i think the kid could thrive for the Cards :)

Well, that's a king thought El J (though I just don't see Khalil as another Ozzie Smith... :lol:)

Top Bottom