2008-2009 Mlb offseason

:goodjob: Ozzie Smith, the Cal Poly Mustang. My favorite SS of all time. :D

The cards seem to usually do a pretty decent job reforming players. I hate when i see their name on any free agent pickup. I'm glad I'm not a padres fan, they could be pretty brutal to watch this year.

Breaking News!!!

Yankees Got Teixeira!!! 8 years, 180 million. He stays out of Boston, Swisher stays out of the line-up, and we got arguably the top three free-agents this off-season. Hell to the yea!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

Yea, those plucky Yankees are never major players in free agency...

My point is rather 1) He stays out of Boston, and 2) They picked up what I said before the off-season started was their biggest need, another bat to protect A-Rod. The fact they also managed to sign arguably the best two starters on the market as well is just icing on the cake.

Of course all of these acquisitions don't equal a World Series ring. I'm excited the Yankees managed to fill every hole they had in their team while Boston has pretty much the same exact team it did a year ago.

You also beat Boston in getting A-Rod. How's that been going for you? :p

I love this lying. It's no longer "we got him," it's "we beat the Red Sox" to him. No, it's the Yankees going out and attempting to buy a World Series Ring.

You also beat Boston in getting A-Rod. How's that been going for you? :p

We didn't beat the Red Sox getting to him - he'd be in that uniform had the Player's Association not prevented A-Rod from restructuring his contract to make the deal work for Boston. When the Yankees heard A-Rod was available they made the deal to get him.

I love this lying. It's no longer "we got him," it's "we beat the Red Sox" to him. No, it's the Yankees going out and attempting to buy a World Series Ring.

No, it's about fielding the best team possible to win a World Series. What, because New York has a lot more money than the rest of baseball means they aren't allowed to spend it for the sake of "fairness?" And yes, if a rival in your division is attempting to acquire a player that would make them a better team, wouldn't you do anything to prevent said player from joining your rival, whether it's driving up the price or, in this case, signing him? Signing Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett happened because the Yankees are trying to improve the team from last year's disappointing season. We tried the youth movement in the rotation and it backfired completely, so we signed the best pitchers available to fill that gaping hole. Plus, we had the opening at first base for Teixiera. So, we aren't signing everybody for the sake of signing everybody. We had holes, and we filled them through free-agency.

No, it's about fielding the best team possible to win a World Series. What, because New York has a lot more money than the rest of baseball means they aren't allowed to spend it for the sake of "fairness?" And yes, if a rival in your division is attempting to acquire a player that would make them a better team, wouldn't you do anything to prevent said player from joining your rival, whether it's driving up the price or, in this case, signing him? Signing Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett happened because the Yankees are trying to improve the team from last year's disappointing season. We tried the youth movement in the rotation and it backfired completely, so we signed the best pitchers available to fill that gaping hole. Plus, we had the opening at first base for Teixiera. So, we aren't signing everybody for the sake of signing everybody. We had holes, and we filled them through free-agency.

I have no problem with signing a good player. I do have a problem about fans lying about it and saying it was to prevent another team from acquiring said player. No, it was to acquire a World Series. And we reserve our right to laugh when 2 other teams with lesser payrolls finish ahead of the Yankees. You didn't try the youth movement, but I'm not going to get into that.

Now while it's obvious we have a difference of opinion here, I definitely take issue here with you calling me a liar. We had a hole at first base, and we signed Teixiera to fill it. It just-so-happens the Red Sox wanted the player also which is a significant 'bonus' to the deal. So how you can argue that we got Teixeira and company to "just to buy a World Series Ring" is absurd.

Now while it's obvious we have a difference of opinion here, I definitely take issue here with you calling me a liar. We had a hole at first base, and we signed Teixiera to fill it. It just-so-happens the Red Sox wanted the player also which is a significant 'bonus' to the deal. So how you can argue that we got Teixeira and company to "just to buy a World Series Ring" is absurd.

$411 million in one winter. A luxury tax of $30 million (is that more than the Rays, who made the World Series?) Asking the city for $300 million. That's buying the World Series ring. There seems to be a discrepancy in the Yankees money management logic.

Here's to the Sox and the Rays battling it out for 1st, while the AJ and the entire Yankees outfield lingers on the DL and New Yorkers march with their pitchforks to the Steinbrenner's mansion to demand their tax dollars back on their new stadium... *crosses fingers*

Seriously though, as a Sox fan this sucks but my team does the same thing so I can't really complain. No question the Yanks filled major holes, but in my opinion the key signings were CC and AJ, and a big question is will AJ stay healthy. 2 aces is very different from one ace. Considering his history I am confident the reverse will be the case.

And dont forget that before A-rod, the other guy you guys "stole" from us was the supposed "ace" Jose Contreras. :lol:

(Not that Tex is in any way comparable to Contreras, just thought it was worth pointing out;))

Now the sox just have 20 mil more to spend at the trading deadline.

Sammy's coming back :)
Sammy Sosa is still waiting for an offer to play in the major leagues, according to a report published by Dominican newspaper Listin Diario.

Sosa
Sosa, who had previously expressed his intention to retire from baseball after the next World Baseball Classic in March, believes that he can still have an impact at Major League Baseball level.

"I still don't have an offer and I shouldn't be looking for offers out there," said Sosa, the National League MVP in 1998 and the only hitter to surpass 60 or more homers in a season on three occasions. "Any team who wants to sign me should have the initiative and make an offer."

Sosa added that he's still in good physical shape in hopes of making a comeback to professional baseball.

"Those who saw me training know that I'm hitting the ball with the usual authority. I just hope to get the chance to prove that I'm still a threat," said Sosa at a charity event sponsored by his foundation.

The Dominican slugger did not play in the first edition of the WBC in 2006. That same year, the right fielder rejected a contract offer from the Washington Nationals.

The second edition of the WBC, with 16 countries in the field, will begin play in March. The Dominican Republic will play its first-round games in Puerto Rico.

Sosa, who turned 40 on Nov. 12, is currently a free agent who had 21 home runs and 92 RBIs in 114 games in 2007 with the Texas Rangers. Playing against the Cubs, his former team, Sosa became the fifth player in history to hit 600 home runs, following the path of Barry Bonds (762), Hank Aaron (755), Babe Ruth (714) and Willie Mays (660).

I hope he can overcome his struggles with the English language. His story is an inspiration to us all really.

Maybe him and T.O can form a charitable organization.

Top Bottom