2010 NHL offseason thread

SuperBeaverInc.

Groucho
Dion as captain. That's funny. How did I miss that one. Good luck TO.

The other two stories are, meh. At 40+ (42 I think) it was time for Blake to retire, unless he wanted/wants to pull a Chelios. Tampa is in 'rebuild' mode, so it kinda makes sense.

On a personal, local note, I am a little upset the Flames arent going to be making any moves in the offseason wrt management, but hey, what can I do. On ice I think we are handcuffed, so a new guy wouldn't be able to do anything. Should be another interesting season next.

What about others?

Tried to get to the parade and rally today but got delayed. Someone parked a car on the train tracks of the line I was riding in on. The car was hit by a train, but nobody was injured. It did cause my train to be delayed by a couple hours. I was able to catch the final 5 minutes of the rally. The closest I could get to the stage was a couple blocks. I really didn't see too much. They say there were 2 million people there today. Very busy day in Chicago, The parade/rally; Blues Fest, The Cubs-White Sox series, there were also some World Cup enthusiasts about town.

It's nice that I can say I was there, even though it meant being packed like sardines with 2 million very sweaty people in jungle humidity. Half the people were wearing their very hot long sleeve Blackhawks sweaters.
The train ride was even more hot and claustrophobic. But I really can't complain.

edit- Now with pictures.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Wow. What an event today! I walked over about 8 am and was situated about parallel to the Cubs flag (in 2nd picture) about 5 deep off the street. You can actually see my girlfriend's son on my shoulders in the 2nd picture you posted Danny. He's the kid with the Toews jersey to the left of the red light (he's high up and believe me it was a work out with the heat). I had to take my Hawks sweater off since it was so hot and crowded but so worth it!

My friend couldn't make it up to where I was so he and a bunch of random Hawks fans rented a room at the Hard Rock Hotel till 1 pm. He took some amazing pictures, we took some and I gave my email address to a woman that is sending some too. I will try to post them later.

What an amazing run. These guys love playing with each other and it's going to be tough to lose any of them. Unfortunately, it's time for a Blackhawks Capopylypse. Toews gets $1.2 for winning Conn Smythe which is an additional hit to the cap. But for now, it's our Cup!!

Wow. What an event today! I walked over about 8 am and was situated about parallel to the Cubs flag (in 2nd picture) about 5 deep off the street. You can actually see my girlfriend's son on my shoulders in the 2nd picture you posted Danny. He's the kid with the Toews jersey to the left of the red light (he's high up and believe me it was a work out with the heat). I had to take my Hawks sweater off since it was so hot and crowded but so worth it!

My friend couldn't make it up to where I was so he and a bunch of random Hawks fans rented a room at the Hard Rock Hotel till 1 pm. He took some amazing pictures, we took some and I gave my email address to a woman that is sending some too. I will try to post them later.

What an amazing run. These guys love playing with each other and it's going to be tough to lose any of them. Unfortunately, it's time for a Blackhawks Capopylypse. Toews gets $1.2 for winning Conn Smythe which is an additional hit to the cap. But for now, it's our Cup!!

That's pretty funny, I had posted these pictures in a couple other places and had a couple people say "you were right by me, I was over there" although you can't actually see them in the picture.
As far as the cap goes there is the possibility that the cap could go up $2 million or more http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/loose-pucks/Caps-and-possible-NHL-salary-cap-increase--95161969.html. That would really help. It would have been nice had Duncan Keith won the Conn Smythe, but it's a pretty good problem to have.

Clearly full credit for the victory belongs to me and my bandwagon jumping. :mischief:

My favorite picture taken from the Hard Rock Hotel. I have more but will only post them if requested.

They don't call him Captain Serious for nothing. :rockon: Is he looking right into the camera or what? Kaner doing what he does. :hammer:

Another one that was sent to me from a different angle.

You know what's so cool about hockey other than being a fantastic game? The Cup! This Cup is the fan's Cup as much as it's the team's Cup. You Canadians get to see it up front all the time in the small hometowns these guys grew up in. Totally freakin' cool.

In Chicago, I know people who partied with the Cup at bars they were in and my best friend even touched the Cup when the team picked up Jordan Hendry (they live in the same building). There's no other sport or trophy like it. I guess it makes it that much sweeter considering it's the toughest championship trophy to get.

Back to pictures...more if you want over the next weeks...

Before: I was where the lowest garden in the picture is.

After: As the police slowly allow the crowd to converge.

Some of the best to ever wear the Indian Head.

I have all the buses but another view of the Cup.

Wow, thats quite the crowd. I wish I could experience a Stanley Cup parade firsthand. :p

Even though its only June, I'm curious. How many people here would be interested in an NHL fantasy league come next fall? I noticed a lot of people participating in the playoff thread, so I figure we could get quite a few. Last year we didn't have enough interest to get one started, and the year before that only 6, so the CFCFHL has been getting less and less activity each year.

There were about 2 million people at the parade.

I didn't see any of the other fantasy leagues but I would play.

I see Iginla coming to play for Montreal

Keep dreaming. Iginla isn't going anywhere. :p

Kane kinda looks like a new Roenick to me... but with a cup..

I'd join a CFCFHL if it was set up.

Keep dreaming. Iginla isn't going anywhere. :p

Im a dreamer, besides I already wrote to Montreal's GM so things are moving now and they cannot be stopped! :p

If the Flames actually did trade Iginla, I, along with most of the city, would be very, very, very angry.

If the Flames actually did trade Iginla, I, along with most of the city, would be very, very, very angry.

Dind`t he agree to lift his no-trade clause a little while back. Something about being unhappy with the flame`s administration?

Anyhoo He would probably want to play with Camalleri... :p

I'd join a CFCFHL if it was set up.

I`d set it up! If all goes well I could set one up for next season.

A espn fantasy league probably simple as hell like rotisserie style pool. head to head require way too much attention and Im taking part in a big pool of my own already and I have no time for more than one head to head pool per season!

Dind`t he agree to lift his no-trade clause a little while back. Something about being unhappy with the flame`s administration?

Anyhoo He would probably want to play with Camalleri... :p

I`d set it up! If all goes well I could set one up for next season.

A espn fantasy league probably simple as hell like rotisserie style pool. head to head require way too much attention and Im taking part in a big pool of my own already and I have no time for more than one head to head pool per season!

No, he said he would lift it if the team management decided it wanted to make a fresh change.

Not sure about a rotisserie league. We used to do that, but changed over to head-to-head because everyone wanted that.

Yeah i just saw that, you beat me to the punch.

TBH I dunno what to think about that. From what I read they are 2 big power forwards (which was missing in our lineup) but none of them ever played regulary in the NHL.

they were both top draft picks for the blues but I dunno what I should think about the trade?

Is it just me or the goalies are not worth much in the NHL????

Opinions good or bad trade???

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

Top Bottom