2010 PC game of the year according to gamespy is... CiV!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by SHaW1986, Dec 24, 2010.

1. plesniak

plesniak Warlord

But it ain't no game of the year...This is just a prime example of 2K and Gamespy sucking each others richards.:lol:

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's an intelligent move to try to maximize profit.

But this attempt is so transparent it's too hard to take seriously :lol:.

3. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

yeah starcraft 2 was second runner up.

4. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

I love the game, but under no circumstances does it deserve a true 'game of the year'. However, with that said, the title of 'game of the year' is handed out by 5000 different institutions so pretty much any game that gets made anymore is someone's game of the year.

5. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

It is certainly "Game of the Year". It may not be the best game, but it's release and the ensuing controversies have been quite significant for the game business.

6. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

tmit has presented well thought-out reasons why other games are superior, and many/most of those are likely to be fixed in part because of his input. however, many in our little group seem ****bent on trashing the game b/c it wasn't what we wanted it to be, but without offering reasonable alternatives or even modding it ourselves.

it's very interesting that there is such a huge disconnect between almost every single experienced game reviewer a hard core group of vocal civ5 haters. The reviewers like the game because it appeals to more casual users and they don't have 500 hours to play every single game. This was a conscious design decision by firaxis, most likely strongly influenced by sid himself in fact. If they had released civ4.5 or its equivalent the game would have been so complex that even many hardcore civ fans wouldn't have played it. society in general and the gaming community in particular are very different today than they were even 5 years ago, don't blame firaxis/sid/shafer/etc for not building the game you wanted.

do I think that civ5 should be goty? probably not, but I'll bet that it's at least in the top 5 on most lists.

7. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

The only award Civ 5 has won that it deserves is "Most Disappointing game of 2010" from Tom Chick.

This particular award is a joke, and so is Gamespy.

8. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Cataclysm. (Pun intended!)

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

While V has a lot of disappointment in it, it is also nowhere NEAR the worst/most disappointing game either, unless you expected it to make breakfast and give you massages and other activities I shouldn't mention. Catherine still might find a treaty in that pocket though.

Seriously, each year seems some WOOFER game releases. At least V has some play value.

10. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

I expected to be playing Civ 5 more then 2 weeks after getting it. Right now, I'm playing Civ 4 and AI War.

So, I was pretty disappointed.

11. ClarenceSeedorf

ClarenceSeedorf Chieftain

Great game...happy to see it acknowledged by Gamespy

12. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

Well gamespy and 2k are, well lets just say there close buddies.... its called marketing.

13. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Let me tell something sir, it knows how to defend mountain passes. That is for damn sure! I am having a good time playing at the moment!

14. Revoran

Revoran Prince

To be fair, the worst and most dissapointing games are two very different categories.

I would even say that most dissapointing is more subjective than worst as it depends on how much the individual was expecting.

Personally I enjoy civ V very much and in a week when I get my 460GTX will be loving it even more.

15. Kaitsuh

Kaitsuh Chieftain

This is a pretty blatantly bought out review. Just like the ones that came out before release that tricked tens of thousands of fans of the series into buying this disgraceful game.

Next time use less money on removing features, and also less money on buying reviews, and you'll have enough resources for making a respectable continuation for the series.

16. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnnn, Now where did I put my Rose Colored Glasses?

17. migkillertwo

migkillertwo Prince

I agree. Granted I've been a huge fan of Civ V since before its release and still love the game, but there are too many problems with Civ V for it to deserve "PC game of the year" IMHO. The extremely long wait at the beginning of the game for anything meaningful to happen, the not-so-great graphics and yet very demanding system requirements were another big problem for me. And the load times. I have a 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, it should not take this long to load turns.

Oh, and I dont know if there has been a "renaissance" of PC gaming.

18. migkillertwo

migkillertwo Prince

The game doesn't have to be objectively "bad" to be very disappointing. It was very hyped and failed to deliver, like kane and lynch sorta.

19. blind biker

blind biker King

Sarcasm?:confused:

20. HannibalBarca

HannibalBarca Chieftain

Starcraft fans would be more angry about this, if they weren't too busy actually playing the real PC Game of the Year. ;)