2011-12 MLB Off-Season Thread

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7165040/ten-questions-heading-offseason

1. Is this the offseason that Yu Darvish gets lured away from Japan?
2. Who will be on the trade market?
3. What is the free-agent market like for relievers?
4. Where will free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes go?
5. Is a new collective bargaining agreement close to happening?
6. Who will be the Cubs' manager?
7. Who will be the Red Sox's manager?
8. Will CC Sabathia opt out of his deal with the Yankees?
9. Where will Prince Fielder sign?
10. Where will Albert Pujols sign?

Looks like the Cleveland Indians are not picking up Grady Sizemore's 9 million dollar option, which makes him a free agent. I think the Tribe would like to get him back at a lower salary, but I imagine other people would be interested in Mr.Sizemore. When he's healthy, he is an elite centerfielder, with power and speed. The problem is, he is almost never healthy anymore. How much do you think he's worth? Would you want to sign him? I'm not sure if the Indians have the money to sign a real OF to replace him, and an outfield with Choo, Brantley and Fukodome is not going to score many runs...

Speaking of Cleveland, they apparently just got Atlanta's Derek Lowe for a low level pitching prospect. Atlanta is eating all by 5 Mil of the salary.

Yay? I don't know anything about Lowe.

last i saw of lowe, he was running on fumes when the braves were in the midst of their toilet bowl plunge in late september. i guess he's worth a shot. but caveat emptor :)

sizemore is interesting :) if healthy (a big if), he can be productive. $9M may be a lot. maybe somewhere between 5 and 9? he had micro-fracture surgery i think. not a real good long term thing.

Speaking of Cleveland, they apparently just got Atlanta's Derek Lowe for a low level pitching prospect. Atlanta is eating all by 5 Mil of the salary.

Yay? I don't know anything about Lowe.

Lowe is a fairly average grade pitcher who was surprisingly unlucky this year having both an above average BABIP and HR/FB rate. (This was especially true doring his meltdown late in the season where he put up about an 8.50 ERA but only a 3.45 xFIP and SERIA of around 3.56)

Overall a fairly solid 4-5th starter but he's no Cliff Lee or even Vance Worley.

Lowe was our Opening Day starter against the Phillies just two years ago, but he had a terrible year this past year. I think he's not far off from reaching 40, but he can't do much worse than he did this year down the stretch.

I think Lowe is now probably at best a 4th or 5th rotation spot. Being uncharitable, I think he's just the kind of guy that keeps mediocre teams mediocre. I doubt if he would have made the Braves rotation next year.

Maybe the Indians just wanted a healthy safe arm which they knew was going to provide 30+ starts, at a knock-down cost. But I would be surprised if he turns in more wins that losses for them. He had some great years inn the past, but he really feels like someone who is losing the battle with age.

Yeah, I'm perfectly okay with picking up a durable, ground-ball, inning eater to be our 4th of 5th guy. The top of the Indians rotation is pretty well set (Ubaldo, Masterson, Tomlin), and Carmona figures to be the 4th guy. That leaves Gomez, Huff and Lowe to fight for that last spot. With a rotation as young as ours, Lowe seems like a nice guy to have.

I'm more worried about our new gaping hole in Centerfield (we NEEDan outfielder with strong offensive production), and at 1st base (since Matt LaPorta sucks) than I am about any of our pitchers.

In random news Phillies sign Jim Thome to a one year deal. I guess it's meant for him and Mayberry to switch off at 1st until Howard is recovered sometime in June. Yay I guess.

Big Z is back!

mlb.com said:
Zambrano made his first start on Sunday for Carbies, giving up two runs on four hits -- including a solo homer to former Cubs teammate Bryan LaHair -- over 2 2/3 innings in a 5-4 loss to Magallanes.

Zambrano, who did not get a decision, also walked two, struck out three, made a throwing error and hit a batter.

Back in the game - and back to his best :goodjob:

PS When they say "hit a batter", do they mean with a pitch, or was this in the dugout?

In random news Phillies sign Jim Thome to a one year deal. I guess it's meant for him and Mayberry to switch off at 1st until Howard is recovered sometime in June. Yay I guess.

I'm sad, but I think us Tribe fans knew we wouldn't be able to keep him, with Hafner around, and Thome unable to play 1st every day. I'm a little surprised he went back to the NL, but hopefully he can be productive there. As long as he has an Indians cap in the HoF, I'll be happy.

despite what the bandwagoners think in philly, thome ain't playing in the field this year. he won't fill in for howard. sure, he'll bring a mit to spring training. but he's not playing in the filed. aside from that :) it's great to have him back. those were heady days when he signed with the phils in '03. changed around the perception of the ballclub. so it's nice to have him back. read today that he'll be the first ever phil with 600+ homers. that's a lot of taters :)

MLB.com claims that: "Thome indicated to Phillies GM Ruben Amaro that he believes he can play first base three to five times a month, if needed. Regardless, Thome's primary role will be pinch hitting"

3-5 outfield games a month ? And that's probably optimistic. I guess he can still hit with power, but is that really a good use of a roster spot for the Phillies ?

i would be surprised to see the dude play 3 to 5 times in the field all year. they'll have other options at first if howard is to miss any time. plus, they might sign someone who can play elsewhere (ie LF) thus freeing up mayberry to play at first in howard's potential absence.

MLB.com claims that: "Thome indicated to Phillies GM Ruben Amaro that he believes he can play first base three to five times a month, if needed. Regardless, Thome's primary role will be pinch hitting"

3-5 outfield games a month ? And that's probably optimistic. I guess he can still hit with power, but is that really a good use of a roster spot for the Phillies ?

We had Ross Gload doing the same thing last year. Thome is 10x the bat Gload is so it's a good plus for the Phils.

you know that gload led the NL in pinch hits last year? i will do cart wheels down Broad Street if Jim Thome leads the NL in pinch hits next year :lol: granted, gload was busted up but can't overlook the fact that he was semi-successful.

rumors swirling that the Miami Marlins are hot on Jose Reyes and his luxurious spouse :)

Top Bottom