1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 NFL Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Supr49er, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I'll repeat that it's my opinion that the thought of working for Ross/Ireland sends
    FAs and coaches running screaming for the hills. And it didn't help that Parcells left
    a trail of scorched earth behind him.

2. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Hey, at least they signed the incomparable DAVID GARRARD to a one-year deal!

3. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. I've come across someone who thinks that Vince Young is the greatest QB since Dan Marino. :shake:

4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

And in completely unsurprising fashion...the 9ers re-signed Smith for exactly the same amount they originally offered. Apparently the story goes that Smith was not pissy about the 9ers talking to Manning, he was pissy because they didn't tell him about it until literally minutes before the story broke on ESPN. According to a couple newspaper articles I read (since the 9ers are again quickly fading into that desolate pit of un-newsworthyness called "West coast sports team"), the higher ups are claiming mea culpa for the whole thing so Smith doesn't get all butthurt with Harbaugh.

5. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I hate to say it since I like the 9ers as an organization but Smith will be exposed for what he is this year. I'm sure they'll be solid but not what "they could've been" will be their 2012 story.

6. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Meh, I disagree. Smith will never be an elite QB, mostly because he is, if not anything else, safe. He never (well, a few now memorable moments excepted) takes big risks. When this is combined with Head coaches without any respect for the guy and just about nobody to throw to, things aren't going to go well for you. I think he'll be solid, and if anything, he'll be a little better as he now is going to have a metric buttload of targets to throw to, but then again, I'm more than a little biased in this circumstance. But we'll see next season. I'm nothing if not excited.

7. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

The 9ers schedule is a lot tougher this year. Still, while I don't think Smith is an elite QB, I do think he's good enough to manage a SB win. Unless a Manning rolls your way, he's good enough.

8. emzie

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...n-jacksonville-jaguars-others-tim-tebow-derby

I don't understand how a person as good as Tebow was ever able to excel at a position that is anything but good-person friendly.

9. Dachs

If Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer can win rings...

10. Azale

Azale Deity

Tebow to the Jest for a 4th.

Somewhere Theige silently weeps.

EDIT: 4th and a 6th. Bronchos tossed in a 7th.

11. Azale

Azale Deity

ALSO according to Adam Schefter, Sean Peyton suspended the entire year and Mickey Loomis 8 games over the bounties incident. Saints fined $500,000 and second round picks in 2012 & 2013.

12. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Yeah, we've been nuked from orbit. It was fun while it lasted.

What the hell is Tebow going to do on the Jets?

13. Dachs

They got it backwards, but nobody notices if a GM is suspended for the season.

I've already gone through my "hate Loomis" and "disappointed in Payton" phases, and I've never liked the Goodell Era NFL enough to be more than catatonic about that. Right now I just hate the Cheatriots (even more) because of the wrist-slap they got over Spygate compared to this.

14. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Team Chaplain?

Reduce weekly expletive usage?

15. emzie

A year sounds... kinda insane. I expected Payton gone 4-6 games and a first round pick this year + GM for the season.

On the other hand, I'm sure this will put a stop to any other bounty program anywhere in the NFL for the next 20 years.

You'll have a point when the NFL is sued over excessive video taping practices.

Line him up at fullback split from Sanchez. I figure he was brought into try and unify the team, since Sanchez is a prima donna cry baby and the rest of the team hates him. They'll love Tebow. And Tebow will be friendly towards Sanchez. Not a bad move.

16. Dachs

Oh, I absolutely know why it happened. I understand that the bounty program was a horrible thing that never should've been allowed to happen, and that the people who instituted it and perpetuated it need to be punished somehow. I understand that the NFL's injury liability looks a lot worse and plays a lot worse in court and in the papers than a simple case of blatant, obvious cheating. I also understand that the line between an actual bounty program and what is widely considered to be "normal practice" for NFL players in terms of how they treat the players on the other team and the barely-controlled violence on the line of scrimmage is a pretty permeable one.

Clamping down on the Saints' bounty program is many things for the Goodell NFL (like a way to demonstrate that the league office isn't totally toothless and that threats need to be taken seriously). One of the more depressing things that it is, is a way to deflect criticism that football is a sport of thugs whose players can suffer serious health consequences as a result of normal play. Crack down on some of the most blatant thuggery and tacitly approve of the overwhelming majority of it. The Saints aren't a scapegoat - the organization did some pretty [crapp]y things - but they're a convenient way for the league to ignore its actual problems.

Plus, the Saints don't play in Massachusetts, so they don't get a free pass.

17. Serutan

On the NY Times Fifth Down Blog page, there's a tweet from Schefter that there's
    language in Tebow's contract that might torpedo this deal.

18. emzie

Yep, like a hurricane.

19. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I think it's time for Aint's fans to start cutting out the eye-holes in their paper bags.

Listen to Jets fans chanting his name by the end of week five? :lol:

I like that idea.

20. Serutan

This whole thing with the Saints (plus the salary cap penalties) leads to an interesting scenario:
    Goodell learns of a team doing something nefarious, but due to the number of owners he's PO'd
    previously, slamming this owner will pretty much guarantee he'll lose his job when his contract
    expires. What does he do?