1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 NFL Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Supr49er, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Though that may have had more to do with what he thought of Miami than vice versa.
    Especially if he already had an offer from Seattle on the table. Ross doesn't seem to be
    doing a very good job of making his franchise look attractive.

2. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Sure. It seems clear that the Dolphins really wanted him, although he was their Plan B behind Manning. Takes two to tango, though.

Now they're making moves towards Alex Smith, who isn't even an upgrade over Matt Moore (or at least, not enough of an upgrade to warrant the cash that they'd have to throw at him). It's looking like the Dolphins have utterly collapsed in free agency already.

3. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Reports now are Manning to Denver! :scan:

4. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

and TeBow to somewhere else.

5. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I expect Tebow to go to Jacksonville. Khan has stated his love of Tebow*.

*'s marketability

6. Dachs

So, who is Manning going to be targeting in Denver? Like, for passes?

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Can't understand why Manning picked a team with virtually no legit passing targets, and 2 old (or injured) running backs....especially when he could have won a super bowl with San Fran.

Also, lol at Miami. They seem to be totally screwed now.

8. Azale

Azale Deity

Demaryius Thomas kinda emerged last year, near the end. Now he's got a QB who can actually throw a spiral.

9. madviking

madviking north american scum

I'm gonna call KC will do better than Denver in the division.

10. Dachs

They do seem to be positioned better. Assuming Manning has a rocky first season with one of the worst offenses in the league, anyway.

I was thinking this before, but Barnwell's recent piece helped solidify my thinking: does the Winston deal mean that the Texans have identified a serious flaw in the player - some undisclosed injury, maybe? - that the Chiefs aren't aware of? It seems implausible that the Texans would just ignore him to avoid $5.5m of cap hit, especially since he is such a quality tackle.

11. madviking

madviking north american scum

Yea, I was reading that the Winston release seems kinda suspicious, but I just think it's cynicism among the football writers. :dunno:

12. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I see Barnwell's point, but the Texan's cap situation is such that that could be
    the only motivation. Time will tell.

On Peyton to Denver - It will be interesting to see where Tebow winds up, and if Denver can trade him or has to release him.
    I don't see how they could keep him now, even ignoring Elway's lack of faith in him.

13. cain3456

cain3456 Prince

I am not buying this until I actually see Peyton Manning in a Broncos uniform taking snaps in an actual NFL game. However much they payed to get him, it's too much.

14. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

Yeah, I can't figure that out. Elway dumped just about every offensive player with a shred of quality, and now Manning is happy? :crazyeye:

Maybe he thinks that since the cupboards are bare, he can pick build it to his own liking. :dunno:

Oh, yeah. I'm going to revel in it. :lol: Dumping the quarterback who got you to the playoffs and won a game there, no matter what that QB's name is or the replacement's is, will not gain respect from me. I hope Tebow gets to give him a whipping with the Jaguars. :goodjob:

15. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

if by QB you mean Marion Barber and Denver's kicker, then yes.

Tebow most certainly didnt lead them to the playoffs. he led them through some lucky but entertaining 4th quarters at the beginning and then lived down to the hype the rest of the season. the team should really thank MB3 and an injured pittsburgh.

denver might still suck, but it won't be 'retribution' for a good team decision. and peyton is another 'good guy', the kind that the fan base will still love, just not so outwardly as they do Teezus.

16. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

It'll be interesting to see how quick the 49ers now run back to Alex Smith. And how Smith responds to that... ;)

17. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

If I were Smith, I would be tempted to give them a slap in the face and sign with another team. (Tempted, mind you. ;))

That said, I think he'll probably let it go and sign with them, considering they went to the NFC Championship game together.

Also, a blast from the past.

Link to video.

My thoughts on that blast:

18. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Honestly dude, what are his options? Continue to be a mediocre quarterback on a crap team that won't go anywhere (and will basically be like the mid-2000s 9ers all over again), or return to the 9ers with even more throwing options than before, under a coach you like and who has helped bring about a very solid year, and have a very, VERY good shot to go to (and possibly win) the superbowl next year? I don't even think the temptation is there when you look at those choices.

19. Butterball

Butterball Bear

so ... where will Tebow and Smith end up?

20. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I expect Tebow to be in either Miami or Jacksonville, and that Smith will end up in New Orleans. (No, he won't be playing on New Orleans. ;))