1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 Civfanatics Keeper League: Year 7

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Zapp Brannigan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

As the new guy I'm probably least qualified to 'discuss', but me being me...

MobBoss is absolutely right, and the whole issue amazes me no end.

I was quite happy to have just one fantasy team, and also quite happy to take on a second one here (for the company since this is a favorite internet place). But what I have learned about fantasy football from doing so is that NFL.com is vastly different from yahoo.com in many ways...handling of the waiver/free agent issue being one that weighs heavily for NFL.com.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

New or old to the league, everyone can have an opinion.

Tim, its not a yahoo thing. All the other leagues I am in on Yahoo have a set (non-continuous rolling) waiver wire that resolves usually Tuesday night.

It's a very simple thing for the commissioner to change this setting.

This is actually the only league I've ever seen set like this. But being active in the league for the last three years, it's pretty clear that it benefits the person who sits rabidly watching games, looking for injuries or break-outs. I'm not sure that's the intent of what is meant to be a friendly league.

I see it more as a setting that would help equal the playing field for all 12 teams, which, in my humble opinion, would be a good thing for this league.

3. Timsup2nothin

I see. I may have let my irritation with Yahoo's game tracker slop over a bit.

Either way, the whole idea of a 'waiver wire' is to make access to available players more orderly than just 'whoever is on line first wins'. My other league is extremely competitive, since we have to put up with each other in real life (or have the opportunity to torment each other, depending on position) but we use a very stringent waiver wire that puts all free agents on waivers from Saturday night through Tuesday morning.

4. Junzi Nicuzn

Junzi Nicuzn Gaijin Samurai

I was planning on bringing up this issue at the end of the season as something that needs to be changed. I would say I am one of the top abusers of the current system, if not the most abusive, and I've thought the setup is completely unfair. I still take advantage of it, and plan to do so as long as the option is available, but recognize that this system favors those in specific time-zones who do not have other responsibilities on Sunday. It also renders the waiver order almost completely irrelevant, as MobBoss pointed out. I had the top waiver priority for several weeks, and was allowed to make several significant pickups without having to spend that waiver. In favor of fairness and enhanced league parity I would support changing waiver settings so that all players move to waivers at the start of games on Sunday until Tuesday. The way it is now just favors a few managers (myself included) and increases the gap between the haves and have-nots.

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

May the fleas of 1,000 camels infest the armpits of Demaryius Thomas. :mad:

Save a few for my own Ben Tate and a couple of other underperformers...

6. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I love DT!!! You my MVP!! xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MobBoss

Well said. I think over the last 3 years, I've managed one or two nice grabs, but would still prefer to see the waiver number actually mean something relevant.

8. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

I was wondering why you guys always did it like that?

That said, I really enjoy this no wavier league. If this was a pay league, this would be crazy unfair, but being it's for fun league, I don't mind it at all.

9. Junzi Nicuzn

I certainly won't deny that this waiver-less setup has been fun - for those of us able to take full advantage. It's the wild west of free agency, and it allows us to immediately drop dead-weight for new starters and speculation adds. It lessens the risk of picking up people like Antone Smith and Denard Robinson because if they don't work out you can quickly drop them for the next hot target. And if everyone could fully take advantage of it I would not want to change it at all. But it's usually the same three or four of us picking all the top targets during game time, leaving the table scraps for the rest. That can't be fun for them

10. MobBoss

Actually, I would argue the opposite. If you were to actually play in a pay league with these settings you absolutely know what you are signing up for and are paying knowing it. It would be very fair in a pay league to have a first-come, first served - the one who puts the most time in such a pay league would deserves to win.

Fun leagues are about fun...and there isn't much fun in not being able to pick up a back-up RB when your starter goes down 'cause someone in a different time zone got to them first.

Precisely.

11. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Junzi Nicuzn said it better then I could. This wild west feel is fun, but also if it's only a few of us doing, that kills the fun factor for the league as a whole.

To ask again, why is it set up like this? It's non standard, so someone made the change, and must of had a reason for it.

12. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

I think a bidding system is pretty good. everyone goes to waivers as soon as their game starts, and then you bid until 12:00 AM Tuesday. 100 Dollar pool. This way the people that want to play waivers can and those that don't have access on gameday aren't in the lurch.

13. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Just set waivers to begin Sun at 12pm... still can do it for Thurs games tho.

14. MobBoss

There are several ways to actually implement it. Weekly dollar pool. Seasonal dollar pool. Etc. Etc.

But not too many casual players even know about those type of styles.

Or...you could just do it the simple way (yahoo standard) and have waivers start when a player actually plays, and resolve waivers on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

15. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Whatever works.

16. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Yea, bidding is something I wouldn't want to get in too.

Also if we do go back to the wavier style, should we do continual rolling, or a reset every week tied to ranking.

17. Junzi Nicuzn

I say rolling. In my other league we do waivers tied to rankings and it can end up being unfair as well. My team in that league is pretty strong but got off to a bad start due to injuries. It gave me a great waiver position to snatch up many of the better players, and now that my team is getting over the injuries it's pretty stacked. Meanwhile teams that had strong starts but got hit hard by the injury bug later in the season are unable to recover as strongly since I was taking all their replacement players. A rolling waiver allows a more even distribution of new talent.

Personally I wouldn't mind attempting the bidding system as I've never done it before and would like to try something new. But if the majority prefers keeping it simple, I'm game.

18. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

I'll put my vote in for rolling being this is a keeper league.

19. Timsup2nothin

My first inclination is resetting, but I could be swayed to rolling by a slight breeze.

20. MobBoss

I do think the standard setting is you go to the top of the waiver pool once you use a waiver, and its not reset weekly based on position. I'd rather see it that way since it makes when you actually USE your waiver matter - if you have a low waiver number you don't burn it until you really, really need to.