2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Thread

Yes, but I don't think Canada is corrupt enough. At least the US was such a big market that giving them a World Cup would have increased FIFA's revenue by flogging football memorabilia off to unsuspecting Americans and would introduce the sport to the country once and for all.

Yes, but I don't think Canada is corrupt enough. At least the US was such a big market that giving them a World Cup would have increased FIFA's revenue by flogging football memorabilia off to unsuspecting Americans and would introduce the sport to the country once and for all.

Hey now! I had a T shirt from that World Cup that I proudly wore until it pretty well disintegrated, as T shirts do. Watch who you are calling an unsuspecting American!

Did you think that 20 years later you'd still be following FIFA and throwing money at them so that you'd get to watch the matches? Did you, eh?

Central America 2026?? While Costa Rica doesn't have enough population to host a WC, since all current stadiums are under 35,000 capacity and we don't have the money, perhaps a joint venture with Panama might suffice...

Don't sell yourself short! Qatar is half the size of Costa Rica (population-wise)! I'm sure FIFA can figure out a way to give you a World Cup and pocket all sorts of cash for itself after pillaging Costa Rica.

Okay all kidding aside,

Mexico, Canada and Colombia are confirmed bids. Uncle Sepp has already been touting Colombia So I am speculating Colombia will be his next victim.

The United States and Morocco are potential bids based on their federations' comments.

Even with a Mexico or USA world cup eminent in the next decade and a half, we still need a revote on the 2022 World Cup (and 2018 too, because we all know how they got that bid, but I doubt it).

Also, are we ready for a 40 nation world cup? Does it need to be expanded? I think 32 is just right.

40-nation? 40-team, perhaps. Pedantries aside, having a power of two is the best way. Otherwise you have to start making the X best third-placed teams qualify, or have a second group stage with three or four groups in each, etc. etc. It's much simpler this way.

40 teams would just be eight 5 team groups and the same finals structure. Main problem is you then have 10 group games in each group rather than 6 so an extra 32 games all up. Increases the tournament length by about a third.

What? The groups are all single-round-robin. It'd be two extra games per group, but one team would always be on a bye. Which team should not play in each round of the group stage? It would be unfair on all.

In a 5 team single round robin group there are ten games. Example, the Rugby World Cup:

France v Fiji
Scotland v Japan
Fiji v USA
France v Japan
Scotland v USA
Fiji v Japan
France v Scotland
Japan v USA
France v USA
Scotland v USA

In a 4 team group there's 6 games per group, as in the Soccer World Cup.

So in each group there's 4 extra matches, which adds up to 32 extra matches in a tournament which currently has like 70.

Just give the 2022 World Cup to the USA or Canada. It would be easier for me to attend a few games ;)

Australia would be my following choice, given that they are more than capable of hosting such a tournament. About 2018...I think FIFA is set on stone on having the WC take place in Russia, so unless there's an all-out-war or nuclear apocalypse, I don't see it changing.

Did you think that 20 years later you'd still be following FIFA and throwing money at them so that you'd get to watch the matches? Did you, eh?

I couldn't afford to go to any World Cup matches...in fact at the time the T shirt was a bit of a budget buster. But yeah, I knew I'd still be watching 20 years later if I was alive.

I went to a Gold Cup semi-final between the US and Mexico, which is the only international match I've attended in person. A 'home game' for the US in the early 90s in Los Angeles...meaning that my friend and I were probably the only people in the stadium speaking English. Tickets were cheap and it was a grand experience. Especially since the US won, which made escaping alive somewhat of a challenge.

Just give the 2022 World Cup to the USA or Canada. It would be easier for me to attend a few games ;)

Australia would be my following choice, given that they are more than capable of hosting such a tournament. About 2018...I think FIFA is set on stone on having the WC take place in Russia, so unless there's an all-out-war or nuclear apocalypse, I don't see it changing.
Russia also has enough plausible deniability about being a place that can conceivably host the tournament. Awarding it to Qatar was just going too far.

Also obviously Australia deserves to host after the time zones we've endured in recent cups.

Also obviously Australia deserves to host after the time zones we've endured in recent cups.

Yeah, we do get it easier on this side of the world...I remember when I attempted to watch all games of the 2002 WC... which were played during the late night and early morning here. I was practically a zombie after the first week :lol::lol:

It's a bit of a tradition here, given we've got three different sports' World Cups to follow often at weird hours, as well as tennis tournaments, a lot of other cricket, the Tour de France...

It's a bit of a tradition here, given we've got three different sports' World Cups to follow often at weird hours, as well as tennis tournaments, a lot of other cricket, the Tour de France...

You guys should just turn your whole society nocturnal. Get in sync with the rest of the world and dump the whole 'slaves of the sun god' business. I would consider it a benefit and yet another reason to move there.

Wow, you must cherish day-game baseball then.

(Are you the other aussie that follows baseball or is that just classical_hero?)

So in each group there's 4 extra matches, which adds up to 32 extra matches in a tournament which currently has like 70.

Which is a lot of extra matches. Either more games have to be on the same day making it harder for people to watch the majority of matches or extend the tournament by a couple of weeks which could work but might be difficult to schedule in terms of TV and players availability (considering that pre season has already started).

There are issues with a 5 team group in that more of the games are likely to be dead rubbers as there are less qualification spots up for grabs and more games. Also as Takhisis mentions its generally unfair on the team that doesn't have a match in the first week as they miss out on a useful rest break and have to play catch up.

[putinmode]Mother Russiya shall nyot be destroyed by such cirkyumstances, you evil capyitalyist imperyialyist![/putinmode]
I couldn't afford to go to any World Cup matches...in fact at the time the T shirt was a bit of a budget buster. But yeah, I knew I'd still be watching 20 years later if I was alive.

I went to a Gold Cup semi-final between the US and Mexico, which is the only international match I've attended in person. A 'home game' for the US in the early 90s in Los Angeles...meaning that my friend and I were probably the only people in the stadium speaking English. Tickets were cheap and it was a grand experience. Especially since the US won, which made escaping alive somewhat of a challenge.
Oh, those matches. Still, not as bad as putting up with Copa Libertadores or regional tournaments.
*cof2002cof*
Which is a lot of extra matches. Either more games have to be on the same day making it harder for people to watch the majority of matches or extend the tournament by a couple of weeks which could work but might be difficult to schedule in terms of TV and players availability (considering that pre season has already started).

There are issues with a 5 team group in that more of the games are likely to be dead rubbers as there are less qualification spots up for grabs and more games. Also as Takhisis mentions its generally unfair on the team that doesn't have a match in the first week as they miss out on a useful rest break and have to play catch up.
It's unfair on one team each week. I remember the group stages of the UEFA Cup were a single-round-robin affair with five teams per group, and someone always got screwed. Also, until the late '80s, the Libertadores had three-team semifinal groups, and there were always dead rubbers going on around there. Argentina one year had a system that had a group stage with three groups per team, with whichever two teams were free in each group facing one from another group, and then the top two (out of three) in each group going on to the knockout stages… just goes to show how weird UEFA-sanctioned competitions can get.

A more recent example: due to Brazil being given automatic qualification as hosts, CONMEBOL's qualifiers always had one free team. The team who got the final fixture off were Venezuela, who surprised everyone by actually mounting a challenge, but were doomed as they had no one to play against in matchday #18.

Can't wait for 2018 WC! By then, all of the republics will be reunited under Mother Rossiya and the capitalists will be removed from their homes and tried for treason in the streets... :mwaha'

Oh, but really looking forward to a strong Americas team again... #2 Argentina notsobad!

Top Bottom