2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Thread

I heard 6% of Germans believe Germany wins the cup. One factor is that it is in Brazil so everyone thinks Brazil will bring it home. But another factor is that there is a quit bad vibe about the German team going around. I haven't payed too much attention but I can see Germany seriously struggling already in the group stage. Not least because the notorious luck of Germany to get into easy groups hasn't played out this time. I am not even discounting the possibility that Portugal and the USA overtake us. But that is really mostly my gut speaking.
That said, I also feel strangely apathetic about this world cup. Not sure if I will even watch the games.

Other than the Brazilian climate, the main reason probably is that nobody seems to know who's going to play in what system. There's an abundance of talent in this squad, particularly on certain positions, while there's also a lack of talent on some other positions (mostly at left and right fullback and at centre forward). Many important players are either injured or are just coming off injury. In defensive midfield, an area where lots of players are available, Khedira, Schweinsteiger and Bender are either out or recovering. Suddenly, the squad doesn't look deep at all on these positions. This may force Löw to shift Lahm from right back to the midfield as Guardiola did at Bayern. That obviously just makes things worse at right back where no really decent other player is available (much like at left back). Defence has been an area of vulnerability for years now (and it seems to me more a matter of the system than players), and these injury problems and potential moving of key players will only make it more vulnerable. I don't think they managed to find any defensive cohesion thus far...after all these years. Now add in the injuries, and you know why people are pessimists.

There are many players available in attacking midfield. But the best German player this season (Reus) is out now. And I don't know what they did to Özil at Arsenal but he's looking like a shadow of his former self. Up front, Klose is the only real fit for this side. But he's just coming off injury as well. And he's old. He'll retire from the squad after the tournament which will leave the team without any decent centre forward other than Gomez (who is also just coming off injury and isn't even in the squad).

Many people are also losing trust in the manager. His massive coaching mistake in the 2012 match against Italy isn't forgotten. Neither is his inability to stabilise the defence.

I'm very pessimistic about Germany's chances, mainly because of what kronic just posted above. I don't think Germany makes it past the quarter-finals, which is sad because this might be one of Schweinsteiger's and Lahm's last World cup appearances. Löw should have been gone years ago; Either Klopp or Heynckes should be coaching by now.

Costa Rica played Ireland last night and it ended 1-1. The defense was abysmal and needs to improve dramatically if we want to have a chance. There's a good analysis of the game by the Guardian, although I do hope that our rivals don't have a "field day" against our defense. Link.

1-1 against Ireland doesn't seem too bad to me for Costa Rica? But what do I know

Thanks for the summarization kronic. Ironically your substantiation of the vibe I got now makes me more interested in how the team will fare. Instead of "Will we make it?" I can now be suspenseful about how bad we will make it :D

Ireland have been struggling lately as age caught up with some of their best players so I guess a team in the World Cup would expect to beat them although it is a friendly so it doesn't really matter all that much.

I'm very pessimistic about Germany's chances, mainly because of what kronic just posted above. I don't think Germany makes it past the quarter-finals, which is sad because this might be one of Schweinsteiger's and Lahm's last World cup appearances. Löw should have been gone years ago; Either Klopp or Heynckes should be coaching by now.

I think most England fans would just be happy to get out the group stage so its slightly amusing to be disappointed about a potential quarter final exit.

Around the time of major tournaments this seems to happen to some degree or another. I suspect the clubs are pulling strings to keep the star players away from World Cups to prevent any injuries. And the best way to do that is to feign/exaggerate an injury.

I think thats definately true for friendlies and the seriousness of injuries will be over egged probably for qualifiers as well but I don't think many players would pretend to be injured to miss out on a World Cup considering that most injuries would have healed by the start of the season anyway. Also most of the recent injuries have been in friendlies so why not feign an injury before joining up with the national team?

I suspect that if the number of injuries currently was compared to the list of injuries at any other point during the season then the numbers would be similar.

1-1 against Ireland doesn't seem too bad to me for Costa Rica? But what do I know

The result of a friendly is not that important, what matters is how the team played and what things need to be worked on before the World Cup. Right now, I feel Costa Rica needs to improve a lot in defense.

Ireland have been struggling lately as age caught up with some of their best players so I guess a team in the World Cup would expect to beat them although it is a friendly so it doesn't really matter all that much.

Yes, agreed.

I think most England fans would just be happy to get out the group stage so its slightly amusing to be disappointed about a potential quarter final exit.

Well, the expectations are different for both countries. Germany has finished in the top 3 in all competitions since 2002 I think. But they have failed to win the title in each of those tournaments. With such a talented squad, the expectation is big (although not much this year for the reasons above).

Vidal has some trouble with the knee he had sugery on. He isn't out but that could be another high profile player who might not be able to perform as well as he could.

What interests me about German football at the moment is the sheer number of number 10s coming through. I got a suspicion that the rehauling of Germany youth football a decade ago was too narrow. What use were those changes if the only players you produce are technically proficient playmakers? You need wingers/centreforwards/goalkeepers too.

What interests me about German football at the moment is the sheer number of number 10s coming through. I got a suspicion that the rehauling of Germany youth football a decade ago was too narrow. What use were those changes if the only players you produce are technically proficient playmakers? You need wingers/centreforwards/goalkeepers too.
Attacking midfielders including wingers are no problem. Neither are goalkeepers. There are plenty of good players coming through on these positions. The only positions that are really troublesome are the full backs and, yes, centre forward.
Given how fast it was possible to go from having almost no technically gifted players to today's situation, the issue could be solved through making some adjustments to the programme. The question is: Are the people in charge recognising the problem and are they willing to do anything about it?

To be fair I also think the full back situation is overstated. There is plenty of great talent out there - better than almost every other nation out there, its just backs keeping getting injured, rotated, and don't have an opportunity to build up chemistry.

Lahm, Schmelzer, Durm, Boateng, Badstuber, Howedes, etc. with other players who can also play the position too

To be fair I also think the full back situation is overstated. There is plenty of great talent out there - better than almost every other nation out there, its just backs keeping getting injured, rotated, and don't have an opportunity to build up chemistry.

Lahm, Schmelzer, Durm, Boateng, Badstuber, Howedes, etc. with other players who can also play the position too
Schmelzer is poor and a real liability. I have some hopes for Durm but we'll see how good he can get. Badstuber was poor when he was tested at left full back (and it remains to be seen if he can fully recover from two years of injury). Boateng is defensively solid but can't offer much going forward, the same is true for Höwedes. After all, they are central defenders.

Bild btw reports that Germany will play with Lahm in midfield and a back line consisting of four centre backs.

Badstuber was poor when he was tested at left full back (and it remains to be seen if he can fully recover from two years of injury). Bild btw reports that Germany will play with Lahm in midfield and a back line consisting of four centre backs.

I was actually wondering what the Europeans here think about how modern football players should be taught when they are trying to find a position. Is it just me, or does it seem like that a lot of multi-position players still have yet to pop up? I was recently reading an article expressing suprise at really how few hybrid players there are considering how the game has evolved so much.

One day away folks!!! Between this and E3 I'm quite excited!

Another Costa Rican player got injured, so they flew down a replacement quickly to Brazil, where the team just landed on Monday. Hoping for the best here...

I was actually wondering what the Europeans here think about how modern football players should be taught when they are trying to find a position. Is it just me, or does it seem like that a lot of multi-position players still have yet to pop up? I was recently reading an article expressing suprise at really how few hybrid players there are considering how the game has evolved so much.
I'm more of an armchair observer, so I can't really say anything about teaching or coaching methods. But you're probably right with the rareness of hybrid players. Players who are decent at centre and full back for example seem to be extremely rare. Sergio Ramos comes to mind but who else?

Other than the Brazilian climate

I'm hearing a lot about this on foreign media. Is everyone aware that it is winter in Brazil right now?

Of the 12 cities holding WC games, 4 can be said to be on the "permanent-summer" zone. The rest should be pretty mild, and at least 3 (potentially 4) should be fairly cold. Winter temperatures in Curitiba, Porto Alegre and São Paulo should be pretty chilly. For curiosity's sake I checked Curitiba's temperature right now as I type this. It's 11:13 am there and temp is 12 Celsius.

I'm hearing a lot about this on foreign media. Is everyone aware that it is winter in Brazil right now?

Of the 12 cities holding WC games, 4 can be said to be on the "permanent-summer" zone. The rest should be pretty mild, and at least 3 (potentially 4) should be fairly cold. Winter temperatures in Curitiba, Porto Alegre and São Paulo should be pretty chilly. For curiosity's sake I checked Curitiba's temperature right now as I type this. It's 11:13 am there and temp is 12 Celsius.

The English media has complained about the climate for months and months now. They need something to blame England's inevitable pathetic performance on. God forbid they blame the players.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame players for a poor performance, unless those players perform below their ability. The ability of the English players is such that not many people expect them to get past the group stage, so when the team does predictably bow out, it'd hardly make sense for tabloids to scream why aren't you a better player at someone performing to their ability.

Top Bottom