1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 MLB Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Light Cleric, Dec 10, 2015.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

You realize you are talking to Royals fan, right? I'm all for YC in CF.

J

2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

I think he was talking to me J (Mets Fan;))

3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Sorry, wrong thread.

4. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia banned for life for steroid use

Wow, he must be really stupid. You get caught using steroids twice and then still keep using the exact same steroid and get caught a third time....:wallbash:

Still, it is good to see MLB actually trying to take a firm stance on steroid cheating with clear actions. :)

5. Sommerswerd

Good riddance... More trouble than he was worth. Familia is a better closer anyway.

6. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

And he wasn't even finished with his second suspension yet!

7. choxorn

Trevor Story for NL Rookie of the Year?

(Also, shouldn't we have a 2016 MLB Season thread now?)

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

So what's this about baseball being ruined forever?

I was watching the end of the Blue Jays v Tampa Bay game, Blue Jays score 2 runs, but then, video replay time, runs don't count, the umpires assign an out that never happened, game's over.

My roommate's reaction: "I'm never watching baseball again"

My reaction: "I don't know much about baseball, but that was weird". I mean, I get that it's a new rule, but assining outs that never happened? That seems sketchy. Forgetting everything else about this new rule, why is that a part of it? How did they know what would happen? I've only ever seen actual outs being called as an out in baseball, never outs just assigned by the umpires.

It also seems that now the 2nd baseman will just try to get in the way of the sliding dude so that there can be minimal contact and an automatic double play. I get that the intent of the rule is to try to minimize injuries, but this solution to that problem seems stupid.

What do you actual baseball fans think about all this?

9. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Same thing happens with any interference play.

Yesterday too there was a play in the HOU@NYY game in which Carlos Correa hit a little dribbler down the first base line that the pitcher went to pick up. Correa swung out of the baseline onto the infield grass in such a way that the pitchers throwing line to first base was obstructed. The pitcher tried to lob the ball over Correa's head but the ball sailed into right field, allowing a runner to score which became the deciding factor in the game. The play was not ruled interference because the pitcher chose not to plunk Correa to demonstrate that he was blocking the throw, but if he had, Correa would have been ruled out and the scoring runner would have been ordered back.

In the case of the Jays game the run was discounted because the double play that was broken up ended the inning and thereby the game. If there had been no outs when the play happened the run wouldn't have been taken back.

This rule change is only a big deal right now because players have been trained all their lives to execute take out slides on a double play. It's a force of habit, same as when the Buster Posey rule was implemented. The first year after that rule we were seeing all kinds of plays called back because catchers weren't positioning themselves according to the rules. Now we rarely see that sort of thing happen.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, but there was no 2nd out, there was only 1 out. Seems weird for the umpire to assume that the 1st base dude would have caught that ball. The play hadn't even been made, surely the proper thing to do is to call the 1st out and the guy who hit the ball gets to stay on 1st, since he wasn't ever tagged out.

I understand every other aspect of this rule now, I think, it seems that most of it was just salty Blue Jays fans. But even so, from the limited amount of baseball I watch, I used to enjoy players sliding into 2nd! But now that's not going to be happening, it seems that you have to now be really really careful with your slides, because you might accidentally touch someone slightly, leading to automatic double plays. I guess what I'm trying to say in this 2nd paragraph is that if the only problem here were injuries, then, this is a bit of a nuclear solution to that problem that makes the game less exciting as a result.

11. schlaufuchs

The interference concerns the second out, not the first which had already been recorded at the time of interference.

12. Sommerswerd

Eventually all the sports will be played with interactive holographic projections of the athletes and/or robotic avatars for them, so we can restore all the bone-crushing, skull rattling, ankle breaking, elbow throwing, leg gouging, full contact that we all know and love, with no risk of anyone actually getting hurt.:)

13. schlaufuchs

Already have that. It's called League.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

But the second out never happened, it's weird to me that an umpire can just say: "Let's add an out, just do it"

Does that happen in any other situation in baseball? Do they ever count runs that have never happened, for instance?

15. schlaufuchs

When you commit interference, the result is an out. If a player hits a ball and that ball hits a baserunner that baserunner is out for committing interference. Even though "no out was recorded".

As to discounting runs: if a runner is on first, and the batter hits a long fly ball that bounces into the stands (ie a ground-rule double), even if the runner on first managed to come around and score before the double was called, the runner still has to go back to third and the run is discounted. Same if the ball gets wedged under the wall. It's quite common actually, and has cost quite a few key wins over the decades.

16. choxorn

Sure, Encarnacion might have beaten the throw anyway if Bautista hadn't interfered, but Bautista interfered pretty blatantly, so Encarnacion's out regardless of what would have happened if Forsythe could have gotten the throw off without having his leg grabbed.