2015 NCAA Football Thread

I forgot to tell my favorite story from last night . . :

Okay, so one of the guys I was watching with was still in his twenties. When things were looking bad, he started trying to remember if Alabama had ever lost a national championship game and he asked if the Miami game was the only national title game Alabama played in during the Stallings era. I had to explain to him that there was once a time when we didn't play national title games in college football . . .

Kids these days . . .

All I can say is man was that a blast to watch.

Ain't that the truth. It was definitely the best game of this bowl season and certainly much more exciting than last year's title game. Again, I was very impressed with Clemson's fight and they definitely gave Alabama all they could handle.

Most of all though, after watching all the blowouts in the bowl games this year, it was nice to see two teams play like they actually wanted to be there.

So does this mean the rest of the P5 can go to divisionless play . . ? EDIT: Apparently not . . .

Tim Williams will be coming back. Interesting to see if he can get on the field more . . .

Keeping all you UAB fans updated, the Blazers 2017 non-con schedule is Florida, Ball State, Alabama A&M and Coastal Carolina . . .

I thought you might get a kick out of this:

In my NCAA Football 14 dynasty, I am currently recruiting a player named Derrick Henry. Of course he is a DT rather than a HB, but I always get a kick out of the random name generator for recruits giving them the name of real life players.

6'3"/242. Maybe in a 4-3 designed to stop the spread, but even then I don't see him making a P5 roster at DT . . .

6'3"/242. Maybe in a 4-3 designed to stop the spread, but even then I don't see him making a P5 roster at DT . . .

Well he wouldn't be on a P5 roster if I get him. In this dynasty I am currently the head coach of Ball State. I started out as head coach of Georgia State (the worst team in the game statistically) and am trying to work my way up to an elite program, ideally Ohio State. So I spent one season at Georgia State, went 10-2 in the regular season, won the Sun Belt, and beat Middle Tennessee State in the New Orleans Bowl.

I also do save file editing in order to simulate the CFP, and that first year was...interesting. The top 4 were: Texas (1), Ohio State (2), Alabama (3), Michigan State (4). Funny thing is Alabama didn't win the SEC, they lost to Florida in OT in the conference title game; and Michigan State didn't even play in the Big 10 title game. The reason those two got in the top 4 though was because everyone else that would have taken their spot lost as well. Hell, Cincinnati was in the 4 spot until they lost the AAC title game to Navy. Anyway, Michigan State beat Texas in the Sugar Bowl semifinal game, and Alabama beat Ohio State in the Rose Bowl semifinal game. Alabama then went on to beat Michigan State by a touchdown to win the national championship.

I think if any of that happened in real life, the college football world would completely revolt against the playoff committee and the NCAA. Could you imagine the outrage if they really put a team in the top 4 that didn't even play in their conference title game?

Also, this fictional Henry has a pretty similar height and weight to the real Henry. This fictional one is 6'3 and 268.

Well, those are just his roster stats. We won't know his real stats until the combine . . .

Twitter FUN FACT, this time from Cecil Hurt: In addition to going 6-1 against the AP top 25, Alabama also played 6 of the top 25 scoring defenses this year and beat them all, scoring an average of 34 points in those games . . .

As an Alabama fan, I'd like to be the first to wish that Dodd kid from Clemson the best of luck in the NFL :D

EDIT: Three chairs at Alabama's early-entry news conference . . .

Just Henry and A'Shawn. Bit of a surprise . . .

We have had players leave even though they weren't announced at the official news conference though . . .

Hey downtown, I read your article on SB Nation about the rumors of Oklahoma joining the Big 10 (at least I assume it's yours since it has the same author name as your other articles). It was a pretty good read. You are just about the only writer on SB Nation that I enjoy reading, and it's not just because I kinda sorta know you from here. It's because you actually write real articles with real substance to them, instead of the blog post style "articles" most of the other writers on there write. You have no idea how angry I get when I click a headline and it just links to an "article" that's just a meme, a copy of a series of tweets from some players or coaches, and maybe one or two actual sentences written by the author; and those sentences are usually some of the most idiotic things I've read.

EDIT: BTW, your article actually popped up on my news feed, so either you are getting so popular that you are getting recommended, or my devices are tracking the fact that I've read your other articles and thus recommending your other work to me now.

Even as someone who doesn't follow the NFL, it's hard for me to pull for the Patriots. But since the Chiefs foolishly failed to sign any Alabama players, I suppose I have no choice . . .

Seriously, I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be pulling for the Patriots. Every time the Chiefs do something good, I get excited . . .

Maybe it's the red and white that's throwing me off . . .

Less than two hours since kickoff and we're already into the third quarter. So much faster than the college games . . .

Now only Pittsburgh remains :)

Now all of the teams without an Alabama player on their roster have been eliminated. Coincidence? I think not . . .

That was an aberration. Like the Ole Miss loss . . .

Turns out we didn't lose any more juniors between Friday and today. Anderson, Howard and Allen all staying . . .

Ohio State now officially has the number 1 recruiting class:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25453864/ohio-state-flips-four-star-commits-from-maryland-jumps-to-no-1-class?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Coveted four-star wide receiver Binjimen Victor (Pompano Beach, Fla.), solidified a tremendous day for the Buckeyes by committing to Ohio State and pushing them over LSU into the No. 1 spot in the 247Sports Composite team rankings.

So much for the naysayers how thought OSU wouldn't just be able to reload on talent after losing so many players.

Er, that's not really how it works. You don't replace departing juniors with true freshmen. Recruiting is obv important, but it's rare for a class to have an impact in their first year. You may get one or two impact freshmen, but the core of the team will be carried over from the previous year . . .

Anyway, Ohio State's problem this year was motivation, not talent. I'd be more worried about that. You don't really need great players to win the Big Ten anyway . . .

1) Ohio State won't finish with the #1 class this year. They'll probably be somewhere between 3-7. Alabama or LSU will probably finish with the #1 class.

2) Of the 23 or so kids Ohio State signs in the 2016 class, at most, maybe seven will actually play this season.

3) This should be a really good recruiting class that will pay major dividends in like, two seasons.

FWIW, I don't think OSU's problem this season at all was motivation. It was injuries, the inability to decide on a QB, and coaching changes.

Top Bottom