2016 NCAA football thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by downtown, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Twitter FUN FACT . . :

The SEC has had at least four teams with double digit wins every year since 2009. This year there will be only one . . .

Also, that Okie State beatdown of Colorado was the first bowl game of the year between ranked teams . . .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. ummmm........

I'm not sure if the Big Ten was overrated . . .

Or the ACC was underrated . . .

Or if maybe a whole season is a better way to judge a team than one game after all . . .

3. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I am absolutely stunned that an Urban Meyer coached team would go into a game so unprepared. That's really what it looked like out there. It looked like Clemson did their homework and prepared a solid gameplan to beat Ohio State and the Buckeyes just spent these past few weeks goofing off and getting lazy. I'm not saying that's actually what happened, but it sure as hell looked that way. I don't expect Ohio State to win every game, but I do expect them to be competitive in every game. Tonight, they looked like absolute garbage and to me, there is no excuse for a team like Ohio State with a coach like Urban Meyer to get absolutely blown off the field like they did. I mean, sure, Alabama has had losses under Saban, but I don't recall ever seeing Alabama getting absolutely blown out by anyone while he has coached there.

I think the worst part about all this is all I'm going to have to listen to for the next year or so is all the people who said the Buckeyes didn't belong saying "See! Told you they were overrated!"

I heard some people trying to be nice and excusing Ohio State's performance away by saying it's such a young and inexperienced team. I don't buy that for one second. The reason I don't buy it is because this supposedly young and inexperienced team was able to beat some of the top teams in college football this year.

Ugh. I was so disgusted by the way Ohio State was playing that I stopped watching about midway through the 2nd quarter and just followed the play-by-play on my tablet. All I'm going to say is Urban Meyer better make sure this doesn't happen again if he wants to continue coaching at Ohio State. Blowout losses in high profile games is what started to put Tressel on thin ice before the NCAA violations finally pushed him out the door. In fact, I would say Tressel's biggest saving grace was his domination of Michigan during his tenure.

Fun fact: Ohio State's only two losses this year came from two teams that lost to Pitt. Maybe they should have been in the playoff...

4. ummmm........

Nah, Pitt didn't even win their division . . .

5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Bah, since when has that stopped the committee? ;)

6. ummmm........

Hey, the SEC is 5-5 so far, which is a lot better than I expected. Three games remain, two today . . .

I actually like our chances in both games today, which probably dooms us all, I guess . . .

I hate to call the game before it's over, bu it looks like we're back over .500, however briefly . . .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. Commodore

Commodore Deity

You're going to get the national title as well, so there's that too.

8. ummmm........

Back to .500. I had a lot of confidence in Auburn too . . .

9. ummmm........

Not feeling very confident about the national title game at this point, but maybe that's a good thing . . .

10. ummmm........

Well, here we go. Roll Tide everybody :)

11. ummmm........

Well played . . .

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

LOLs @ the head referee ... After further review, your shirt is super tight... maybe wear a large next time...

Great game, that's for sure.

13. ummmm........

Well, it was suspenseful. Idk about great . . .

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I don't usually consider college football worth paying attention and even I would call that a great game.

15. ummmm........

It depends on how you're grading I guess. It was suspenseful so it was exciting, which means it was entertaining, so great . . .

But it wasn't especially well played, particularly when we had the ball, so not so great . . .

Which is why I was glad Clemson had those two minutes left after we answered their go-ahead TD. Deshaun Watson was great, and our defense was great, so I'm glad it ended with those units on the field and not the other way around . . .

By which I do not mean that Watson was the only great player on their offense or anything. They had a lot of talent on that side of the ball . . .

I also saw a thing on ESPN which said it was the longest title game, and it didn't really feel like that to me, so I guess that speaks to the entertainment factor . . .

Also, Twitter FUN FACT: Clemson beat Auburn, Alabama, FSU and Ohio State this year, which are the four teams that won the last seven national titles . . .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. Commodore

Commodore Deity

As a Buckeye fan I am absolutely elated to report that Mark May is one of the people laid off by ESPN. Hopefully no one else hires that clown so I won't ever have to listen to his constant Buckeye bashing ever again and he can just go back to his home town and sell used cars like all the other washed up players.

17. ummmm........

Never really happy to see another person lose their job . . .

18. Sommerswerd

19. ummmm........

That's an interesting reading. I see it as a reference more to a humbling than a termination or death, though all three interpretations are reasonable . . .

I actually have sigs turned off and it's been years and years since I've changed mine. I had to look it up to see what it was lol . . .

20. Sommerswerd

Nothing you said changes the irony of what you said to Commodore lol