1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 iMac and MacBook Pro are here!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by God of Kings, Jun 5, 2017.

1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The new 2017 iMac is now available.

It's awesome for Civ VI.

I'm not finished yet.

On December, there's going to be an iMac Pro with 18 cores (yes, eighteen), 128GB RAM, and 4TB SSD storage.

2. beetle

beetle Chieftain

That was a nice surprise, as I was not expecting new iMacs until October! I had only recently decided to start looking at used/refurbished 2015 models.

The base model 21.5" iMac sports an Intel Iris Plus 640. Aspry lists the Iris Pro as supported but the regular Iris as unsupported. Can anyone make an informed guess as to if the Plus is good enough?

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

With the new iMac, the MacBook pro got an update as well. There are new processors and graphic cards available. Among them is also the Iris Plus for the 13" model. Any guesses on the power of this? And any guesses how good a 15" model with the Radeon 560 may perform with civ VI?

4. God of Kings

I have updated the title to include the new MacBook Pro as well.

The iMac Pro will be able to play Civ VI at max settings without any issues.

Siptah likes this.
  5. beetle

beetle Chieftain

The iMac Pro will be quite out of my price range!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    iamliberal likes this.
  6. God of Kings

The iMac Pro is the Mercedes-Benz of the Mercedes-Benz of computers.

It's the ultimate machine for Apple enthusiasts.

It's a cool five grand (American of course), but for the minimum specs; to max it out would be essentially the same as buying a new car!

7. gfeier

gfeier Chieftain

I could afford it, but I can't see any reason for buying it. My late 2014 iMac runs Civ VI and Total War:WARHAMMER beautifully and the newly announced high-end 27" iMac is far more powerful and will probably run Civ VII very well.

8. God of Kings

To be honest, the iMac Pro is overkill for my needs.

9. tomaltachpaulson

tomaltachpaulson Chieftain

Same, but I dearly hope that someone here buys one so they can post the results of a benchmark test... That'd be fun.
    As @gfeier said though, the new top of the line iMac 27" will be able to waltz through civ as well—4.2 GHz quad-core i7, and an 8GB Radeon Pro 580.

10. God of Kings

The iMac Pro is also designed by Apple to prove that it can manufacture a computer that can play current AAA video games at max settings without major hardware-related issues (albeit not as affordable as an equivalent Windows or Linux computer).

I too would like to see a Civ VI player purchase an iMac Pro.

11. beetle

beetle Chieftain

@God of Kings — Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. AAA video games had absolutely nothing to do with the design by Apple. There are plenty of folks pleased to see the iMac Pro, but they are not gamers.

iamliberal likes this.
  12. God of Kings

I understand.

But hey, the iMac Pro is no less impressive.

13. God of Kings

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

After I've read a few first tests of the new MacBook pro models from various sources it seems to be like this:
    • 13" + 15" models: new processors make a significant difference, which seems a bit hard on people that bought the 2016 high-end MacBook pro in the last months
    • 15" model: new 'high end' graphic card (Radeon pro 560) is more or less the same as before (460) and doesn't really have more power. On site report they found a 10% increase, other none at all. The upgrade from the standard card to the 560 seems worth it though, just as before.
    • 13" + 15" models: still not more than 16 GB RAM possible
    • 13" model: the 6xx Intel Plus graphic cards seem to do way better in general than older versions and you'll encounter less problems and errors with games. Performance itself seems to only slightly better than before, however.
    • 13" model: still no option for a quad core CPU, which would help a lot with Civ VI
    Since I'm still using a 2012 MacBook Pro right now, I will probably buy one of these. Problem is that I'm really a 13" person since a many years, and I miss the Quad Core option here. I'm not playing a lot of new games that require good graphics besides Civ VI, so I'd probably ok with the low-performance graphic card of those models, but I have to run some analysis every few days that on my current model takes more than an hour. Would be nice to reduce that as much as possible. So maybe I will change to a 15" for once. iMac is no option for me, since I work in different places, on trains, and like to play on the couch. I'll post civ VI benchmarks as soon as I have them - I won't buy it before September though, since I'll be traveling a lot until then and don't want to take a brand new MacBook across too many borders.

iamliberal likes this.
  15. God of Kings

@Siptah

Since you will be travelling often, you should take a look at where the MacBook Pro is cheapest, even considering VAT.

16. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I agree with you @Siptah that 13" is better than 15" on laptop.

It is not clear to me that the new Mac Book Pros will run VI, which is ridiculous. Here is the Tech Specs which shows that the 13" Mac Book Pro uses an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and the 15" an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650.

In the Asypr FAQ (which has not been updated for the new models) they list as supported: Intel HD Graphics Iris Pro, Iris 6100, Iris 6200, Iris Pro 5200, Iris Pro 6200.
    They also say “The following 1GB VRAM video cards are NOT supported to run Civilization VI:” Intel® HD Graphics 4000, 5000, 5300, 6000, Iris, 515.

So is the 640/650 close enough?

17. God of Kings

Speak with Aspyr on that matter, via e-mail or via Twitter.

18. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I'm playing with a HD 4000. It is working - albeit all settings minimized.
    I like my Swiss keyboard and get a few hundred $ discount working at a university here, but thanks for the reminder.

19. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I should have checked my email.

Back on the 6th, via that support page, I wrote: “Please update [list of] supported video cards for Civ6 to reflect the 2017 iMac”.

On the 7th AspyrJason wrote back: “We will when we get them and do product sweeps.”
    That is only faint endorsement of using an unsupported video card!

OTOH, I remember that with Civ5 marginal/unsupported cards (which was the category I was in) started working quite well over time because, I assume, Aspyr was able to tune their drivers. I cannot recall if those improvements were mentioned in the patch notes, but I certainly appreciated it! I also have no idea if the performance improvement was (1) because Aspyr did something, or (2) just because Firaxis was widening the support for Windows PCs.

I understand AspyrJason not to be saying that they would be recompiling VI for the new video cards, only that they would update the lists of Supported or Not Supported.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  20. technome

technome Chieftain

I've ordered the 580 Pro 27" iMac with an i7. It's due some time between 19th and 21st June, and I'll be sure to post in the benchmarks thread.