2017 NFL Regular Season Thread

What are you basing this off of? Eagles defense isn't ranked any higher than Jacksonville's defense by any statistical measure.

Pressures is a stat. It totals hurries, sacks, and hits on the quarterback. I haven't found an up to date site that lists hurries, but nine games into the season the Eagles were way ahead of everyone else, and Aikman was talking about them leading the league in it for the season during the game today. They don't get home for the sack as often as Jacksonville, but the kind of nagging hits that led to interceptions today are counted as pressures.

EDIT:
Pro Football Focus said:
Team Stat: The Eagles’ defense has produced pressure on 40.8 percent of their passing snaps this year, the best mark in the league.

All my faith, all my devotion to Mike Zimmer the last 3 years was rewarded, and then in the biggest moment, he lets me down. Meanwhile the goddamn Pats get to waltz into another Super Bowl and I don't know if there's any way the NFL lets Nick Foles beat Tom Brady.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

RIP Case Keenum 2017-2018

In another thread the subject of high passer rating for a game came up. The passer rating formula is notoriously weird, and mysteriously tops out at 158.3. I stumbled across a very interesting and odd statistical anomaly while looking for something else, and have an absolute mind bender of a trivia question. If anyone gets this right without looking it up I will be absolutely stunned. So, here it is.

Since the passer rating tops out at 158.3, obviously the first time a quarterback got that mark it was a record that would never be broken. It has now been tied a few dozen times, and in fact a handful of quarterbacks have done it more than once. Naming those five players might make an interesting question, and naming the one player who has done it four times would be an easy question, but those aren't the question of the surprising thing.

One team has had the mark set by five different quarterbacks! Which team has been home to this remarkable stable?

Steelers?

One team has had the mark set by five different quarterbacks! Which team has been home to this remarkable stable?

Redskins? Seems like Joe Gibbs was able to get 'shooting star' type years out of several JAG QBs...

Redskins? Seems like Joe Gibbs was able to get 'shooting star' type years out of several JAG QBs...

Very good try, Washington has three. Only Sonny Jurgensen from that era though. Robert the one season wonder Griffin did it as a rookie, and so as not to look bad as his replacement so did Captain Kirk Cousins a couple years back. But three isn't the truly remarkable five.

Green Bay maybe.

49ers would have been my guess too. It has to be a team with a fairly high amount of turnover at QB, had a few at least decent ones, and also be one of the long running franchises.

So who would fit that bill? 49ers, Eagles, Packers (too little turnover?), Bears, maybe Browns, Washington, and NYG.

The other two possibilities that seem plausible:

Rams (especially if passer rating existed when Van Brocklin was there).
Colts (Unitas, Morrall, Jones, Harbaugh, Manning, Luck).

Okay, okay, I just got up not that long ago...

So, let's see...

Crediting @caketastydelish for being first to guess Packers we find that despite the heroics of Rodgers, and Farve seeming to have been around long enough to do everything, and the greatness of Bart Starr, there are no Packers on the list at all. I'm surprised.

We seem to have an assortment of double guesses here, so I'll just handle them en masse...

49ers and Eagles is two wrong for @Sommerswerd Montana is the only 49er on the list, and despite their deep history the only Eagles on the list are McNabb and...get this...NIck Foles.

@KMRblue1027 you don't get to submit a laundry list...and since Sommer beat you to what you said was your actual guess you're wrong, and docked five points for the list as well. I like your logic though.

@Serutan I am really impressed with for taking the swing of actually naming quarterbacks. That said, you're still wrong, but great effort. The Colts are on the list five times, though they are technically two different franchises. But it isn't the technicality that makes them the wrong answer, it's the five different quarterbacks part. Unitas does represent for Baltimore, but the four that Indy puts up are all Manning, all the time. As to the Rams, passer rating wasn't kept at the time but it is a composite of stats that have always been kept so it has been retrofitted to the dawn of football...but Van Brocklin never made the list. There is a Los Angeles Ram on the list, James Harris, and from St Louis Kurt Warner...who in an odd twist appears twice as a St Louis Ram and once as an Arizona Cardinal.

Bonus question, since two are already revealed. Manning has four, and Warner has three, who are the three guys with two that fill out the fab five?

Seems to be time for "You can't really think of any QBs for this team who were decent, therefore this must be the case" :

Da Jets. (After all, Namath's numbers were never very good).

I'm guessing again, cause... I actually have no grounds whatsoever that justifies me getting another guess, but... Houston Texans? They change good QB's like diapers so I figure a few somebodys must have Forest Gumped his way into the magic number at some point.

As for the other three... assuming that Montana is eliminated (Tim didn't say it explicitly, but its implied in his response) I'm going with Marino, Elway and Kelly.
EDIT:Scratch that... I'm going with Warren Moon... that dude is a sleeper all-time-great.

Seems to be time for "You can't really think of any QBs for this team who were decent, therefore this must be the case" :

Da Jets. (After all, Namath's numbers were never very good).

Except on October 22, 1967, when Namath did indeed make the list. This was a really strong guess that supports @Sommerswerd theory that slinging enough somebodies might generate enough Forrest Gumps...but only Ken O'Brien, Chad Pennington, and of all the gumps in the world Geno Smith are joining Namath on the list of Jets, so one short.

As for Houston, they have one on the list, but he's an Oiler, Chris Chandler.

On the bonus question, yes, Montana only made it once. Interestingly, Marino, Elway, Moon, and adding Kelly even though you crossed him out...zero.

It may be time for a hint:

Spoiler :
I knew this would be very hard to guess, because the idea that for such an extremely difficult achievement (I mean, Elway, Moon, Kelly, and Marino never did it even once between them?) it would be hard to mesh the superlative with the current futility.

Probably a 'give away' hint, so only open if you are really just surrendering...and I want to acknowledge you ALL for apparently not having looked up the answer. You are truly honorable trivia players.

Didn't Rex Grossman have a perfect passer rating once? I'm going with Chicago then. They have enough flashes in the pan that they're the next one up.

After that I give up. Old school Brown would the only other long running franchise left I think.

Edit: Also I can make lists if I want to Tim :p

Didn't Rex Grossman have a perfect passer rating once? I'm going with Chicago then. They have enough flashes in the pan that they're the next one up.

After that I give up. Old school Brown would the only other long running franchise left I think.

Edit: Also I can make lists if I want to Tim :p

Indeed you can, and even though you sort of took two guesses in one I'm going to give you credit...YES, the team with five entries on the perfect passer rating record list is...THE CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!

And the big five, which includes one that would have required endless guessing...Peyton Manning did it four times, and Kurt Warner three. The two obvious repeat performers are Brady (really obvious) and Rothlisberger (who would probably have been guessed reasonably quickly). The first guy to accomplish the perfect rating more than once was Craig Morton, once with the Cowboys and once with the Broncos, and I'd be surprised if anyone ever guessed him...or even remembers him, really.

Top Bottom