2018 NFL Regular Season!!!!

It's also possible they decided they didn't like any of the QBs available, because they all had flaws (which is why there was no clear cut #1). If they preferred Justin Herbert or Drew Lock they may have decided to take Barkley and just write this season off since their roster, quite frankly, sucks butt. This will in all likelihood be their 4th +10 loss season in 5 years and that's not all on Eli.

I think it is reasonably proven at this point that having a QB available that you like is not as useful a determinant as having a team that is ready. I don't think that anyone would argue against Andrew Luck, coming out of college, having an absolute mountain of qualifications over Russell Wilson, and being universally liked by every team. But none of that mattered when it came down to which team was prepared for a run and which team wasn't. Putting it in perspective, let's say that right before the Giants made their pick a miraculous time machine and cloning device dropped an exact duplicate of Andrew Luck into the draft. Would the Giants have gained anything by taking him?

All the QBs available had flaws, but got taken anyway. Some were taken because the team doing the picking is just finally ready after years of grunt prep work under very unpleasant circumstances. (Cleveland) Others were taken because the team doing the picking thinks that somehow a miracle can occur if only the right magic touch quarterback falls into their hands. (NY Jets) Giants fans don't want to believe they are the next Cleveland Browns and facing several seasons in hell, but management didn't want to be the Jets either.

Well, from an NFL standpoint "being Detroit" is no longer available. Detroit was the poster child for "We have got to do something with the salary cap to manage this rookie contract issue. We can't have teams being forced to bet the entire future of the franchise on totally unknown prospects." Matthew Stafford is the last of his kind.

It's also possible they decided they didn't like any of the QBs available because they all had flaws (which is why there was no clear cut #1).

Could be, but you're then running the risk of not having a high enough pick (or enough assets to trade up)
to get at one when he's available. Admittedly this risk is looking lower by the week.

If they preferred Justin Herbert or Drew Lock they may have decided to take Barkley and just write this season off since their roster, quite frankly, sucks butt. This will in all likelihood be their 4th +10 loss season in 5 years and that's not all on Eli.

The previous (and correct) points about the offensive line point to Tim being right that they should have traded
down to get picks for linemen instead of Barkley. And as I agree with you about the overall roster (and Tim about
the cancer that is OBJ), that would mean they would still suck this year, still have a shot at Herbert or Lock, but have worked on giving that individual a chance to live through his first contract.

Oh well - 'what if' is fun, but strangely it never seems to change history.

Could be, but you're then running the risk of not having a high enough pick (or enough assets to trade up)
to get at one when he's available. Admittedly this risk is looking lower by the week.

The previous (and correct) points about the offensive line point to Tim being right that they should have traded
down to get picks for linemen instead of Barkley. And as I agree with you about the overall roster (and Tim about
the cancer that is OBJ), that would mean they would still suck this year, still have a shot at Herbert or Lock, but have worked on giving that individual a chance to live through his first contract.

Oh well - 'what if' is fun, but strangely it never seems to change history.

I'm going to give credit to the Barkley pick. He is looking like a generational talent that will make assembling an o-line easier and still be of great value when they are ready to find a quarterback, and as I said before, idiots like the Jets who would trade three second round picks to move up three spots don't grow on trees.

I won't forgive them for not dealing OBJ. There is no possible use in the current soup sandwich for an over the top ego WR. His contract slows the process, and he personally slows the process, and he will be of zero value by the time the process is complete. He could have been dealt for a young pro bowl caliber lineman plus a high enough draft pick to bring on another one, plus some change (lower round draft picks to take speculative flyers with).

The proof is in that if you really get the team ready you don't have to have all that high of a draft pick to get the quarterback.

OBJ has one of the top yards for any wide receiver in the game right now (meaning this very season). He may have a personality disorder but that doesn't change the fact that he's incredible on the field.

edit: unrelated note:

The game hasn't happened yet so we'll see who has the last laugh tomorrow, but for the time being I'm gonna say Vegas is being pretty generous to the Raiders in our game tomorrow.

Note that we smoked Dallas where
1) Old Lynch is certainly no better than prime Elliot
2) football outsiders has the Dallas o-line at 7, Oakland at 13
3) football outsiders has Dallas defense at 15th, which is at least respectable, and Oakland near the bottom at 29th.

I am aware that I'm cherry picking a bit here, but overall Oakland is no better than Dallas, and Dallas didn't have a chance. The home field advantage surely helped, but Oakland is a really weak team this year (possibly the worst in their division) and while we aren't particularly strong this year we aren't a freaking joke.

edit 2:

The Raiders got smoked in LA with the 'home field advantage', which they won't experience in London. The Raiders are a sorry team this year, and I would say the Seahawks are about average.

Last edited:
This game is going about like I thought it would. I know my team well, lol.

But why the hell are we going pass happy with a 20 point shutout in the second half? It’s not going to matter but what a dumb decision.

Edit: also while we have the ball we just hurry up and snap it without even trying to milk the clock much.

Overall, it’s like madden with a friend or an online opponent where its over anyway as long as you play it safe but instead you want to rack up the score as much as possible just for the lulz.

I don’t like this one bit, even though it probably won’t matter.

Edit 2: and right after I complained they started listening to my advice...

Last edited:
Dallas vs Jags:

I've lost faith in the Jags, I admit. I kept thinking they would be just as good as last year, and possibly better... no longer do I think that. I can accept getting trashed out to the Chiefs because of who the Chiefs are this year, but this is much harder to defend.

I have had little opportunity to pay attention to NFL events, as while the rest of the country was watching the Bengals and Steelers fight it out for the future of their division I was stuck watching my "hometown" %$^&* Chargers thrash the Browns.

@tim:

Personally, I thought that one was more fun. The Chargers have a very realistic chance of actually getting a wildcard spot. And I'm sick of everybody saying "this is the year the Browns will finally be in the playoffs believe the hype OMG". The Browns are better than they've been in a long time but this is still a below average, sorry team.

also: I'm obviously not a fan of the Chargers but considering the talent on the roster, they're at least legitimately fun to watch.

An easily anticipated blowout, administered by a team I really dislike, is never "fun to watch."

I don't "really dislike" them. This is coming from someone who doesn't give a crap about the Raiders (unlike you) either. I do personally enjoy seeing these stupid people coming together to bandwagon the Browns hype-train that they're 'legit' this year just because they aren't a complete joke anymore, be crushed. Vegas had the Chargers winning by 1 point. I wouldn't call that an "easily anticipated blowout."

-----------------------------------

That said, we clearly have different tastes.

Various one line statements that come to mind:

My dislike for the Chargers actually runs deeper than just being a Raider fan.

The Vegas line is about balancing the bet, not predicting results of the game.

You are at least as deep into the Chicago Bears hype train as anyone I know is into the Browns.

We have different tastes, but you're still a great pal. :)

At least the Bears have a better record and are at the top of their division. Not a spectacular team but a solid one, definitely better than how they've been. The Bears are doing about as well as I said they would. I was pretty clear before the season started that I didn't think they'd win the Super Bowl, but that they'd be a solid playoff team. It's starting to look that way. Which is still a bold statement to make in retrospect, please admit. The Bears were a joke last season and they went from that to a formidable opponent.

case in point: If the Bears and Browns played this season I would say the Browns have barely any chance at all. The Bears have a very realistic chance of actually making the playoffs. The Browns don't.

Also: I haven't really noticed people predicting the game would be a blowout.

The Bears are exactly one game above the basement that they have occupied for several of the recent seasons, and could very easily wind up there this season as well. But FWIW I never really disputed that they were a much better team than they have been of late. My position is that they made a very bad trade that jettisoned their future, not that they were doomed to suck in the present.

I might not have suggested a blowout, but I did acknowledge that since the Chargers only losses came at the hands of currently undefeated teams it was pretty easy to pick them to beat Cleveland. I have to give credit to the Chargers throughout the Phillip Rivers era, through however many coaches and the changing cast of characters that a fifteen year career produces. For as long as he has been there they have been a 'taking care of business' team. You seldom see them lose a game they are "supposed to win." Every time the Ravens have a great statement win the promptly lay an egg against a weak team, almost without fail. The Vikings get mauled, at home, by the Bills. Even the Cheatriots will, every once in a while, look like they are surprised that some opponent didn't just roll over at the sight of them. But Rivers and the Chargers...give them a patsy and they will do the job. Great discipline in that regard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick...this is where the great Chick Hearn might say "the mustard is off the hot dog." All those mind rattling "brilliant" plays from previous weeks are starting to look like they might have been audaciously lucky instead of magical. Step it up Chiefs!

Last edited:
And of course we're losing to the Rams by 3 pts... What's worse, that's Elway's excuse to keep Vance Freaking Joseph for another week as HC...This season is already lost, start Chad Kelly and see what he's got...If he sucks, draft a QB in the next draft...

And of course we're losing to the Rams by 3 pts... What's worse, that's Elway's excuse to keep Vance Freaking Joseph for another week as HC...This season is already lost, start Chad Kelly and see what he's got...If he sucks, draft a QB in the next draft...

What would have to happen to get through to you that quarterback is not the problem, and installing a carousel in the couches office won't solve anything? There is a distinct lack of talent across a broad spectrum. Offensive line. Defensive backfield. And while you have talent up front on defense they are totally tilted towards pass rush, which only works if you are playing from a lead with a high powered offense. They are giving up five yards per carry against the run so all an opponent has to do is get a lead and stuff the ball down their necks.

This is what happens when you mortgage the future to win championships...the future always arrives. Turning the entire franchise into a mayhem-go-round won't fix that.

Sure, I pretty much hate the Broncoids and relish their current doormat position, but I recognize it as my fair compensation as the result of having to have watched them win. I just hope there are enough people sharing your view in the fan base, and that you can collectively put enough pressure on Elway to make him get stupid so I can watch them be a doormat for a long time.

oh look another quarterback getting to escape a sack because the defender has to play around this trash-ass rule
You noticed that too? I swear they should really just go to a two-hand touch rule for quarterbacks. If you want to scramble, fine, but if you get touched, you're down, period. No more fights over whether the defender was making a "fair" tackle attempt, or "targeting" the QB... No more controversies about some QBs being protected by the refs while others aren't. No more QBs escaping from limp arm tackles because guys are afraid of being called for "roughing". QB sneak on 4th and inches? Fine, but if you get touched you're down. Pump faking to "extend the play"? Fine but if you get touched you're down.

Last edited:
@tim:
And I'm sick of everybody saying "this is the year the Browns will finally be in the playoffs believe the hype OMG".
I don't remember anyone... like not one single solitary person on here saying that cake. The Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk about Playoffs? Playoffs?

You kiddin' me?
I do personally enjoy seeing these stupid people coming together to bandwagon the Browns hype-train that they're 'legit' this year just because they aren't a complete joke anymore, be crushed.
Again... I don't remember anyone... like not one single solitary person on here saying that the Browns were "legit playoff contenders" ... You kiddin' me?:lol: You need to calm down with the Browns hate man.;) They aren't worth it.

Top Bottom