1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 NFL Regular Season!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2018.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Random inquiry of mine: the Jags were so dumb for not snagging Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith while they had the chance.

Another wasted season with what should be a championship team. I guess they can get Eli (if the Giants would even trade him) but would he even be good enough? Personally I’d get Kaepernick but we all know they won’t. No other free agent QBs I can think of.

They’ll probably have to trade up next draft and hope they nail it...

2. caketastydelish

Germain Ifedi was a first round bust his first two years in the league and became an above average starter after we got rid of Tom Cable and hired Mike Solari.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

You can put the pieces in place in a year, then the next year you can add a couple pieces to an existing core. But no matter how good the pieces are if you bring five new pieces together they won't be a line in that year. There's too much "I just know what other guys on the line are doing" required, and nothing develops that but time.

Oh, hey, looks like that already got answered. What they said.

4. caketastydelish

And what I said. Coaching makes a huge difference.

5. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I've seen some discussion elsewhere and I agree: we need some fanbase to destroy Booger Mcfarland's stupid cart on MNF. But looking at the schedule I think there's only 3 fanbases up to it since we wasted our chance to topple it with voodoo. Unfortunately while Bills fans have built up the strength to do it from destroying thousands of tables, they'd probably too drunk by the time the game started, and the Raiders fans would probably just stab him (or each other). So I guess it's up you to, Philly. If you pelted the man with batteries on live TV there's not a fan alive who would fault you.

My theory is either the Jaguars had discussions with Cousins and knew he wasn't interested in going there (for whatever reason) or they felt it would absolutely destroy their team with the contract because they are in a *mess* next year after having shoved a bunch of money into the future for their obscenely expensive d-line. Their 2019 cap number is something like $207 million which is way over the projected $190 million salary cap. As big as Bortles' cap number is, Cousins' would be significantly bigger both this year and the year after. Honestly Bortles sucks but their bigger problem now is the offense is built around Fournette and he's, you know, not there. That, and their offensive line sucks so much butt that they even brought in Ereck Flowers. You know, the guy who was so bad the Giants didn't even want him anymore?

caketastydelish likes this.
  6. Timsup2nothin

Flowers has at least heard the term "pass block" and they are hoping he can explain it to the rest of the troops, who think that run blocking is all there is to know.

7. caketastydelish

They won't be able to keep their defense next year? That makes me sad. A Jags team that has + Fournette + an acceptably decent starting quarterback would be super fun to watch. Not to mention would probably win the Super Bowl.

8. caketastydelish

I ended up being right with the Cards/Broncos game last week. Maybe for fun (beyond the NFL pick'em contest) if I say only one game of all the games that week that I'm the surest would be right.

As someone who knows my Seahawks well (and have gotten every Seahawk game correct so far) I'm going to see Vegas is being super generous to the Lions this Sunday. I'm going to bet IRL on the Seahawks.

A defense that has only stepped up from last year and a thoroughly solid unit in spite of losing all those players. A run game that went from non-existent outside of our Quarterback (last year) to strong and a good-dilemma/rotation between Carson, Davis, Penny. An offensive line that is thoroughly improved and an offense that has found its rhythm. A team coming off its bye week. The Lions have not been impressive at all this year other than beating the Patriots... and some of that might have been due to insider information from their head coach.

9. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

LC, What is your take on the trade for Eli Apple?

10. Timsup2nothin

You didn't ask me, but IMO in terms of talent he was a bargain, and since the Saints have a very strong, possibly the strongest in the league, locker room culture the value was too good for them to pass up. A fourth and a seventh? C'mon.

The Saints don't have enough draft picks moving forward, but their window is set to slam shut on them anyway so winning right now is all that really matters.

11. Light Cleric

He's not terrible but I can't give an unbiased answer because I let myself get caught up in the hype and have unrealistic hopes of getting Patrick Peterson.

Like someone said it was like asking Santa for a pony and he puts a horse's head in your bed instead

12. caketastydelish

I asked my best friend IRL the other day which position in the nfl would I play. Keep in mind this guy knows next to nothing about football but we’ve been super close for almost literally 20 years. He said “It’s hard to explain but I see you doing something on the defense.” Which is weird, because I’ve always imagined myself a defensive player too (although I’ve never shared that with anyone, him included).

It makes wonder why I’m more likely to be defensive player. It does sound more rewarding, I have to admit.

And it’s also made wonder if there are any amateur adult leagues one can join. If I go to a big city where they have such a thing I would seriously think about it. Please no flag football. Go big or go home.

Edit: somehow I see myself being a linebacker.

13. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Some Jags players where arrested in London for apparently causing trouble at a nightclub...At 4am...¿What professional athletes are up at that time when they have a game?

14. Timsup2nothin

Friday night was a night off. It seems reasonable to guess that the only thing that got them to four AM was the misunderstanding at the club with ensuing police involvement. A quick skim of sources indicates that they weren't actually arrested and that the problem was resolved without any serious incident...which is fortunate for the Jags since apparently all four were defensive backs and if they all disappeared that would leave a very difficult hole to fill.

15. Light Cleric

okay guys I got it figured out

start jaemis and let the team get down like 10-0, something manageable but enough to trigger fitzmagic

put fitzmagic in and score all the touchdowns

???

bucs win the Super Bowl

tampa fire koetter and hire me please

16. caketastydelish

Yep, that game went exactly like I thought it would.

17. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Chieftain

Alternately, just start Fitz again. But I like where your mind's at.

Jameis is a nice kid, but he's just not going to get to the next plateau of better judgment and consistency.

18. caketastydelish

I don’t think he’s a nice person.

Light Cleric likes this.
  19. Light Cleric

Yeah there a lot of words one could use to describe a guy who (among other incidents) gropes his Uber driver, but "nice" doesn't appear on my list

20. caketastydelish

Speaking of the Bucs (but not him), I’ve been weirdly obsessed with their first round rookie Vita Vea. He tore it up at the combine and his potential is enormous but stats would indicate that he’s a first round bust. I read an article today explaining why.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/how...-vea-lavonte-david-just-how-far-back-coach-ko

This is the first game all season where he played more than 50% of the snaps, and since he’s been injured so much he’s still very inexperienced. When he reaches his potential one of the very best run stoppers in the game will be joining a team who desperately needs one.