1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 U.S election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zkribbler, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

There are a couple of different alternatives that would be better. You could just apportion Senators according to state population, turning it into a sort of statewide version of the House. My preference would be making it into a proportional-representation body for the nation at large.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

That defeats the intended purpose of having all advantages accumulate to the largest population centers. Now, if you are suggesting that having such an accrual occur would be a good thing, fine, but you should just say so. We could go to a House number one, House number two system, or just go straight single house parliamentarian and be done with it.

While the outcome is often irksome, I respect the reasoning, myself. Even though as a Californian I have more validity in any complaints I might register than anyone else would.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Naaarf

Texas, of all places!

'Black girl magic': 19 black women ran for judge in Texas county – and all 19 won

Victories mark unprecedented level of success for black female judicial candidates in Harris county, which includes Houston

While Beto O’Rourke’s bid to oust Ted Cruz for a US Senate seat may have stolen midterms headlines this week, another “Texas miracle” was under way in Harris county, where 19 African American women ran for judge – and all won.

They campaigned together under the slogan “Black Girl Magic” with the support of the Harris county Democratic party, and united for a pre-election photograph inside a courtroom.

Their victories marked an unprecedented level of success for black female judicial candidates in the county, which includes Houston. With a population of more than 4.5 million, Harris county is bigger than 24 US states. About 70% of the population is non-white.

According to figures from The Gavel Gap, an analysis by a progressive legal group, the American Constitution Society found white men make up 30% of the Texas population but 58% of state court judges.

“Equal opportunity for justice regardless of who you are – I think that with having an African American judge, a female judge, a woman judge, those are the kinds of things that we bring to the bench. And we bring an understanding of a person who may come from that similar background,” Latosha Lewis Payne, a judge-elect, told Fox 26 local news.

“We want to definitely turn Harris county upside down in criminal justice reform,” Erica Hughes, who was elected to a criminal court position, said in a Facebook post.

Democrats won all 59 judicial races in Harris county in Tuesday’s midterm elections. In one of the most eye-catching and significant results, the longtime incumbent Republican county judge, Ed Emmett – in effect, the county’s chief executive – lost to Lina Hidalgo, a 27-year-old first-time candidate who immigrated from Colombia as a teenager.

The morning after the election, Glenn Devlin, a juvenile court judge in Houston who is one of the defeated Republicans, reportedly released most of the defendants who appeared in front of him after asking them whether they planned to kill anyone.

“Apparently he was saying that’s what the voters wanted,” Steven Halpert, a public defender, told the Houston Chronicle.

Read more: ‘Truly the year of the woman’: female candidates win in record numbers

Birdjaguar and Lexicus like this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Is this a response to me? If so my preference would probably be for turning the Senate into a proportional representation body. Flawed as it is in implementation I like the idea of representatives being responsible to their districts, and I think a district-based House more or less as it currently exists combined with a proportional-representation body that serves the nation at large would be the best way to go.

I don't agree that adhering to the one-person, one-vote rule makes "all advantages accumulate to the largest population centers." It makes all advantages accrue to people as people, rather than as residents of this state or that state.

Phrossack likes this.
  5. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I still agree with the concept of the senate but would do one minor tweak. Have a population limit that if your state is below it you only get 1 senator. This would keep most of the original intent but also bend to the reality of the really larger states. To me that's better than merging or splitting up states.

6. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

No, no, let's do a different math here:
    Let's deduct the two states of which either party gains the biggest margins:

So we'll take those 105845k and deduct both votes, both times, all four democrats.
    That's -3449k, -2869k, -7543k, -4701k. Total: -18562k
    And then, i'm just guessing we'll pick Walking Misandrygasm Gillibrand State:
    That's -3699k, -5222k and -1855k, -2009k.
    And as our first red state let's pick Texas:
    -1594, -4244 vs. -2855, -4244.
    (-14759 v -10963)
    Let's add that up:
    72524k (D) - 82494k (R)

72524k (D) - 82494k (R)
    That's the Senate without New York, California and Texas.
    We still have to pick our second Republican state to be fair.
    Go ahead! Pick one! Whichever one you want.

You won't. You know well enough that you'll make up a million at best.
    And there's the point:
    Either the Senate is about representing states and it is wholly irrelevant how blue exactly NY and LA are.
    Or you feel the Senate should be about proportional representation and not about representing the states.
    That's fair, but why would you not want to fix the House first?
    That strikes me as the more intuitive approach.

I made the same argument about the presidential election:
    You can split the country into two electoral districts: NYC and LA county on one hand and the copulating rest of the country on the other. Clinton won the one, Trump the other.
    I'd be willing to side with you there.
    This however is a bigger strech. What's the point about having states, and ones that can write ciminal law (plenty entities in other federations can't do that) if you don't have them represented - disproportionatly - in an upper house of parliament?
    Just have a unitary state then! :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM
  7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Which judgeships do they elect in TX again?

I dunno rah. I'd split the bigger states to give them more equal representation. Would help mellow out disparate impact of varying state regulation when it comes to cross border commerce as well. Messing with Senators encroaches pretty hard on the democratic institution that drives a lot of our nationwide progress. As mentioned by Z, a lot of ballot initiatives that were progressive 5 years ago got snapped up this week in red states long before the Fed will move on them. I mean, he sounded a little frustrated, but that's what victory of an idea looks like.

8. Timsup2nothin

If something is good for residents of California it should have plenty of advocates in the House. If something is good for the residents of Wyoming, not so much. The senate is designed to counter that reality, and seems a reasonable idea.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

@Timsup2nothin who won your house district?

There are still 70-90k uncounted ballots in my district. Looks like Porter is going to unseat Walters. :D

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I don't really agree that interests break down this way though. Rural people in Wyoming have more in common with rural people in California than rural people in California do with urban people in California.

Hrothbern and Phrossack like this.
  11. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Doesn't Walters lead by 4k votes ? Do the late ballots usually lean democratic so much that Porter will make up for that lead ?

Rohrabacher and Knight look like they're toast though.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

Yes and yes

There are still 70-90k votes uncounted out of roughly 250k.

This makes me a bit frustrated that all of the media (save NY/LA Times) called it so soon for Walters. By 9pm on election night every news outlet called the race and none have said anything to the contrary over the last 4 days.

Basically, early voting is dominated by the elderly in this area; later (but not late as in voting after the election ended, just right before) voting dominated by the young.

13. Timsup2nothin

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Hints of more trouble in Florida:

Berzerker likes this.
  15. Timsup2nothin

They didn't seem to feel that way when the Republicans made California state taxes no longer deductible on their federal taxes. There was every reason for a republican representing Wyoming to accept that amendment, but my congressman sided with the GOP against the interests of everyone in California. Hence he is the first GOP congressional candidate to be defeated in my district in half a century.

Thanks for finally going too far GOP.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Takhisis

Takhisis Naaarf

They are not bad ideas on principle, but the whole point of bicameralism is that proportional representation is restrained so that tyranny of the majority cannot ensue.

Have you read abotu sociocracy yet, or did it get buried among the hundreds of posts that flooded the forum? I posted it right before/during the election.

Also, it must be pointed out that unless you displace the thousands of crooked-and-or-fanatical people who are gaming the current system then you'll just end up with them gaming whichever system you replace it with.
    I'm not sure, but black judges being elected in a former slave state illustrates the change, don't you think?

17. Timsup2nothin

Has anyone seen any kind of compilation of results at local/state levels? I can't even find such for California, and I'm not up for rooting through each and every state senate and state assembly race to sort out a net change...in my own state. I sure don't want to track it down times fifty, but I'd really like to know how much change there was in state house control. Last years resounding overturn of the Virginia state assembly was the highlight in how badly Trump had damaged the GOP, and I'm hoping to see a lot more evidence of that this time around.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I went on the url you gave and couldn't find anything about sociocracy.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

NM: Dems hold
    Governor
    State senate
    State house
    2 Senators
    all House reps

:D

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Arwon

Arwon

So there are about as many elected Republicans as in Old Mexico?