1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Heptathlon

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by CKS, Jan 23, 2020.

1. CKS

CKS Deity

So, we had discussed how we might run a heptathlon competition over this past year, though we didn't really come to a consensus on how to score it. It seems not to have been a big success. Glancing through the results tables, I found only two people who submitted games with all 6 victory types. (I didn't double check this, though, so forgive me if I missed anyone.) Regardless of how the score is determined, Lanzelot is clearly the winner here.

Did having the competition encourage people to submit more games or to submit a wider variety of victory conditions? Did it make things more fun for people who played GOTM/COTM? For me, I definitely submitted a wider variety of victory conditions (but not more games), but I don't know that it was more personally fun. Are we going to continue it in 2020?

2. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Well, what can I say but to agree to all points?

In general, the reduction in the number of games seems to have coincided with a general reduction in interest. If one caused the other is difficult to know.

Now we're just a very select club of old men playing an ancient computer game. I'd say we skip the Heptathlon of the Year.

Takeo and templar_x like this.
  3. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

:rotfl:

That comment really hit home. I turned 53 yesterday and I have been playing Civ3 since it was released, now almost 19 years ago!

Più Freddo likes this.
  4. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Yes, it definitely motivated me to try for all victory conditions (and therefore to submit all 8 games). Then there were Garvarg and CKS with 7 submissions -- CKS also with the full range of VCs, but Garvarg unfortunately didn't try Spaceship and Diplomatic. And that's pretty much it in terms of "regular submitters". There were a few more with 5 submissions and most of the rest in the 1-3 range.

Interesting to see: the fastest victories in each category are concentrated on a few games, almost all of them COTMs, only one victory went to a GOTM:

Column 1 Column 2
    Conquest COTM146, 310AD, Lanzelot
    Domination COTM146, 250BC, templar_x
    100K COTM147, 1265AD, Memento
    20K COTM149, 1435AD, templar_x
    Spaceship COTM149, 1200AD, Più Freddo
    Diplomatic GOTM174, 990AD, Lanzelot
    Cow Award COTM147, 1305AD, Lanzelot

Looks like C3C really made the game easier in most aspects compared to PtW. The Republic slingshot, better Armies and 3beaker-scientists have a big impact, overpowering the two advantages of PtW: RCP and better Forbidden Palace.

Più Freddo likes this.