2019 NFL Offseason thread

Looks like the Raiders are that team.

Three first round picks that already going improve them, + another one next year, and now, the best wide receiver in the league.

As a Seahawks fan I can confidently say that their next step of improvement is firing dumbass and wife beater Tom Cable so their offensive line can get better. By 2020 the Raiders are gonna be lit. Vegas will start off by having a solid team and this was clearly Gruden's plan all along.

Well I was right that they didn't get a first rounder for them, but they didn't get a second for him either. A 3rd and 5th is pretty close though.

And ESPN reporting that he's going to the Raiders for a 3rd and a 5th.

And ESPN reporting that he's going to the Raiders for a 3rd and a 5th.

And giving him the "make him happy" deal that will tamp down his various problem areas. Not that those problem areas are such a big deal for the Raiders. Raider fans expect big madness from their players.

So, basically the Raiders gave up Amari Cooper, a third, and a fifth, and came away with Antonio Brown and a first. Who's crazy now?

Nothing is wrong about AB other than him being on the wrong side of 30. Although, I anticipate he’ll still be highly productive for the next few years. And that leaves open for a Super Bowl run in that timeframe.

They’re getting five first round picks between this year and next year, and still tons of cap space to acquire more talent partially because of the Khalil Mack trade.

It was inevitable that the Raiders were going to suck in 2018 (and may still be a relatively weak team in 2019) but I’m almost 100% sure Gruden knows what he’s doing.

He signed like a 10 year contract with the Raiders IIRC, which is why he can afford to plan like this.

Antonio Brown has zero reputation as a good teammate and his record of distractions is unmatched by any player that hasn't gone to jail. He has outstanding workout and practice habits though, and like I say in Oakland/LA/Vegas his antics will be less notable than they are in a place like Pittsburgh where not much else is going on to shift the news cycle.

As to the Khalil Mack deal, with the depth of this draft in pass rushers the Raiders are very likely to come out with two high end pass rushers on rookie contracts and more than half of Mack's salary left to spend. Neither one by themselves is likely to fully replace Mack, but two for half the price of one leaves a lot of flexibility.

With acquiring AB, they might actually invest all 3 of their first rounders on defense. I’m honestly looking forward to seeing what will happen, and that’s coming from a non-Raider fan.

I’m not sure I’m liking the latest Raiders signing as much. Succeeding one year in Belichicks system is hardly indicative of long term success outside it. I’m pretty sure they got what they paid for with AB but I’m less sure with this one. Only other thing I’d like to add is replacing Tom Cable should be seen as more of a priority than the players imo. Any other opinions ?

Last edited:
I’m not sure I’m liking the latest Raiders signing as much. Succeeding one year in Belichicks system is hardly indicative of long term success outside it. I’m pretty sure they got what they paid for with AB but I’m less sure with this one. Only other thing I’d like to add is replacing Tom Cable should be seen as more of a priority than the players imo. Any other opinions ?

A giant young tackle that can block is a good signing, and moving their first round pick up and coming tackle to the easier right side gives them solid bookends on the line. Cable was a very effective OLC during his previous stint with the Raiders and even though he is a poor human being I haven't heard much bad about him as a coach.

Now the word is that the Raiders are signing LaMarcus Joyner to anchor their secondary.

He relies on outdated schemes... hence how the Seahawks o-line got better immediately after getting rid of him and how the Raiders o-line got worse this last season they acquired him again.

It can be argued that injuries played a role in that, but in that case this season should be his very last chance. Personally I obviously would have never hired the POS in the first place but Gruden knows more than I do.

My feeling though is that Cable relies on outdated schemes that were once very effective but he failed to adapt to the modern game which is the best explanation for the (un)success of the various teams he’s coached over the years.

Cable was a very effective OLC during his previous stint with the Raiders and even though he is a poor human being I haven't heard much bad about him as a coach.

As near as I can tell Seahawks fans for the most part strongly believed (rightly or wrongly) that Cable was the biggest problem with their O line. I agree he seemed to do a good job in Oakland but it is hardly unknown for a coach to look good in one place and poor in another.

For that theory to be true (as opposed to mine) this season should be his last chance to redeem himself. The Raiders o-line was already bad this year (with Cable back). Now all their starters are healthy and they just bought the most expensive tackle in the game. Carr is also one of the few QBs in the game with a very fast release like Brady does there are no excuses to be made.

NFL Network reporting Giants trade OBJ to Browns for 1, 3 (both this year), and Gabril Peppers.

Julio Jones.

Don't think so - it was pretty thin this year.

The Giants must have decided to do a full rebuild (Right?). If not we're talking Jets/Dolphins FO incompetence.

Jones is expecting a contract extension and they are tight - they might not give him what he wants. They also aren’t particularly thin. Sanu is above average starter at the WR position and Calvin Ridley is a first round pick. Letting Jones go somewhere else to give their salary cap a breather while just getting another wide receiver in the first round this year wouldn’t be out of the equation.

And I’m very happy about the Jets getting Bell. I have a feeling he will be very good since he’s obviously well rested and they got him for a bargain in that case. It’ll make Sam Darnolds life easier but more importantantly (for me) is making the Patriots life harder.

Bell isn’t used to running behind a bad o-line, though. Hopefully they fix that before the season starts.

Last edited:
Julio Jones has two years left on his current contract and there isn't any rumor I can find that suggests he would hold out, or that he is even in a hurry to get a deal done. If he plays for his thirteen million this year there is every reason to think that the Falcons would direct a good chunk of the expected giant bump in the salary cap after this season his way.
Apparently Bell to Jets. According to CBS he's getting less than the Steeler's last offer on a per year basis.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26243380/bell-plans-join-jets-4-years-525m

There's a huge difference in the amount of guaranteed money. Like twice as much. That was the big sticking point with the Steelers. They gave him so many touches that no one was really thinking he could last more than a couple years, so their five year big money deal with only the first two years having guaranteed money was widely seen as a two year deal with the team getting a three year option. No one in his position would have signed that.

The giants are the new Browns. At least NY has the Jets.

Top Bottom