1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I suspected that, but the articles I read before my post only mentioned what the Jets guaranteed and compared totals.
    It can be argued that he didn't really gain much on the guaranteed front if you count that he turned down $14M last year. Whether that argument is
    correct is anyone's guess - "what ifs" are exceedingly slippery things.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

What if's are indeed slippery, but Bell had pretty strong indicators to work from. He was in the same position with the Steelers that Ryan Shazier was. "Yeah, yeah, you deserve more than you're getting paid, but we don't negotiate if you don't show up...just come in and get to work on the field and we'll get to work with your agent...blah blah blah..." Now Shazier is crippled for life and has to kiss the organization's ass in overflowing public gratitude as they pay him the fifth year of his rookie contract because that's the last income he will have in his lifetime and they didn't have to give him that.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Boba Fett

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Earl Thomas to the Ravens. They are highly unlikely to see his current top performance for 4 years but for now they’ll have the best free safety in the league.

4. caketastydelish

Lazy to google but I’m pretty sure Bell doesn’t have a significant injury history. And the fact that he hasn’t played in over a year can be an advantage in terms of durability.

5. Timsup2nothin

He's got fresh legs, for sure. I'm also too lazy to google, but I don't think he has any significant injuries in his history either, but I think he does have a history of being 'banged up' that makes full sixteen game seasons his exception rather than his norm. But that isn't what his issue was with Pittsburgh. The issue there was that even with a missed game here or there he was leading the league in touches season after season. They were burning him out and shortening his career at the same time they were refusing to offer him long term guaranteed money.

6. Serutan

I saw (think it was ESPN) that he has had only 2 fully healthy seasons out of 5. But mostly 'banged up' stuff except for a sprained MCL.

7. Serutan

And in any event on average an RB has the shortest average career of any NFL position, so he was smart enough to want to squeeze as much out of this as he could.

8. Timsup2nothin

Sounds about right. History shows that if you lead the league in touches the next season you fall off a cliff. Bell chose to spend that season watching rather than getting asked if he was washed up. Can't blame him.

9. caketastydelish

Yeah, a year off is also beneficial because it gives his body more time to heal. It worked for Andrew Luck.

10. Timsup2nothin

Today's hilarious commentary...when a Wisconsin newspaper ran a story under the headline "Ten Best Packers Free Agent Signings under Ted Thompson" they could only list nine.

11. Serutan

Yeah, he definitely was allergic to signing free agents.

12. caketastydelish

I actually thought they did alright. Then again, that is coming from someone who openly loathes the Packers more than any other team other than the Patriots and his team's division rivals.

13. Timsup2nothin

They got one championship out of a quarterback who is arguably one of the best talents ever to play the game, and the season that Rodgers was out demonstrated that Ted Thompson had put together a dung heap of a roster. His refusal to consider free agency was certainly a major factor in that result.

14. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I enjoy a dung heap up there.

15. Serutan

Aaaaand the Dolphins trade Tannehill to the Titans. It makes some sense from the Titans' standpoint given Mariota's
    apparent lack of durability. If the Fins had a higher draft pick it would make some sense to get rid of a QB they had
    given up on to draft one this year. But they're at 13 which is purgatory for drafting a QB.

16. Timsup2nothin

Word is that they are actively maneuvering to get a higher pick next year...maybe even first.

17. caketastydelish

The fact that the Cards haven’t traded Rosen yet makes me think that it’s not going to happen and that was just a bluff as Tim said.

And if they aren’t trading him, they aren’t spending a first (or second) round pick on a quarterback for sure. Some mock drafts have the Raiders trading up to get the top QB to replace Carr but I don’t think Gruden is that stupid.

None of the teams with the best draft picks need a QB other than possibly the Bucs but I don’t think the new regime would want it as they’re too smart as well.

That leaves the Giants which actually do now have the draft capital to move up 5 spots and let the Cards rob them. Should be fun to see what happens.

18. Timsup2nothin

The interesting thing is that if the Giants are convinced that the Cards, as you say, won't draft a quarterback, then they don't need to move up five spots. In fact, the 49ers also aren't likely to draft a QB, and the Jets certainly won't. The Raiders and the Bucs, as you said, shouldn't. So the Giants could possibly get their choice of quarterback without trading at all. Of course, they have to worry about someone trading up and getting ahead of them, since all five of those teams are undoubtedly entertaining offers for a trade down.

Actual draft day could be total chaos, because everyone is probably working on deals 'to be made if...' Like, there is some team out there that has a deal all set to go with the 49ers so they can take Bosa, as long as the Cardinals don't, and some other team that has a deal all set to go with the 49ers so they can have Murray, unless the Cards take him, and the 49ers are no doubt still open to other offers since neither of those deals is really final. That's looking "top down" from the perspective of a team that might trade down, and that probably gets more complicated with more potential partners for the Jets and the Raiders.

Coming from the other way, the Jags are picking right after the Giants, and I'd bet money they have at least explored trades with everyone ahead of the Giants. But there's no point pulling the trigger on a trade with the Raiders, for example, when the Giants could then jump back ahead with a trade of their own. So at whatever spot they are willing to trade they are going to wait until that team is actually on the clock before they are going to finalize a deal, and they have to hope that that team won't turn right around and take a better bid from the Giants. There will be a lot of those early picks that run right to the wire on time is my bet.

19. caketastydelish

It’s easy to expect this new Giants regime to **** up so hard when they’ve already done it.

20. Timsup2nothin

Personally I don't see dumping Beckham as a particularly bad move for them.