2019 NFL Offseason thread

They are devoid of talent and they got rid of one of the few legitimately good players they have.

Jabril Peppers is a good safety and whoever they get with that first round pick will almost certainly be solid but so you think they will contribute like OBJ has? Do you realize how stagnant their offensive may have just became?

They are devoid of talent and they got rid of one of the few legitimately good players they have.

Jabril Peppers is a good safety and whoever they get with that first round pick will almost certainly be solid but so you think they will contribute like OBJ has? Do you realize how stagnant their offensive may have just became?

I look at OBJ as the new incarnation of Terrell Owens. The guy that, while the face of the franchise first or second year quarterback is trying to get through the post game presser without throwing any shade on the terrible O-line and the defense that gave up thirty points in the first half will be at his locker with more reporters than are in the press room holding forth on what a travesty it is that no one understands how the team would win every game if they just made him the primary receiver on every play. Then when he drops a ball blames it on "rookie spin" or "it was a little bit off." Great talent, but no one wants to be on his team.

I wasn’t thinking from a locker room point of view.

Clevelands offense is at least as good that of the Giants in every section other than running back.

Apparently Giants don’t want who everyone thought they did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-qb-dwayne-haskins-doesnt-fit-their-team/amp/

If that’s true then Murray is who they most likely want. And since Murray will most likely be the first QB off the board, that may very well end up trading up to get him. Picking Murray first overall doesn’t make sense for a team that already has a quarterback but it would be decent for New York. Especially they were serious when they mentioned wanting to sit him behind Eli the first year.

Meh. That could be anything from "we don't want him, no worries, no need to jump ahead of us" wink, wink, throwing of the bait...to a reality that for whatever reason they really prefer Lock over Haskins. It isn't like Lock or Haskins, or for that matter Murray, is a sure fire can't miss prospect.

Meanwhile...in Miami, the answer is....Ryan Fitzpatrick?

He’s about as valid as Joe Flacco.

Which is say, an interim QB. Unless we see the return of Fitzmagic Miami may have made the better choice as far as tanking for draft picks is concerned

Flacco probably has five years left in the tank, and the only thing that ever made him a "bad" quarterback was his contract. He sucked all the cap money out of the Ravens and ended up looking bad for the lack of talent. Fitz is hilarious, and a really great leader, but in terms of talent he really isn't in the same tier with Flacco. He also, in terms of potential, is about a light year behind Ryan Tannehill. Overall, I think the Titans are looking very smart with Mariotta and Tannehill and a whole lot of teams look pretty dumb.

That doesn’t really contradict my point about Fitz being a better interim QB for a team wanting to suck for draft picks. And Denver’s offense is not much better (if at all) than that of the Ravens. Why do you think he’d look better in Denver ?

That doesn’t really contradict my point about Fitz being a better interim QB for a team wanting to suck for draft picks. And Denver’s offense is not much better (if at all) than that of the Ravens. Why do you think he’d look better in Denver ?

I don't necessarily think he will. All I was saying is that on basic ability he is a far better quarterback than Fitz. As far as sucking for draft picks, I don't think the Broncos have the guts. There are places where the reality of losing is so beaten into the fanbase that really being a loser for a while, perhaps intentionally, is not gonna cause much of a reaction, but Denver isn't one of those places. Denver fans still believe they are one player, one lucky bounce, one smart decision away from the super bowl. Even Saint John Elway can't get away with losing on purpose in Denver.

I don't necessarily think he will. All I was saying is that on basic ability he is a far better quarterback than Fitz. As far as sucking for draft picks, I don't think the Broncos have the guts. There are places where the reality of losing is so beaten into the fanbase that really being a loser for a while, perhaps intentionally, is not gonna cause much of a reaction, but Denver isn't one of those places. Denver fans still believe they are one player, one lucky bounce, one smart decision away from the super bowl. Even Saint John Elway can't get away with losing on purpose in Denver.

I think that was the consensus after SB50...People thought that if the Broncos managed to find a good replacement for Manning, things will still roll pretty smoothly...And then the QB carousel begun...But now 3+ years out, I think the majority of the fan base has tempered their expectations to "we're one good QB from being a playoff team"...And know that it's going to take some time until the team becomes a contender again...At least that's my take as a fan...As for tanking for draft picks, it's simply has not been a thing for this franchise to do, at least not since Pat Bowlen took over the team and set a winning culture in the franchise. Now that Pat is gone and the team is in a middle of a ownership crisis, that might not be the case anymore...
Flacco is a "Bridge QB" until Elway manages to draft or acquire the future franchise QB, that is, if he ever finds him...I wouldn't be surprised if he picks Lock at #10, if he's available, although I would personally like to pick the best player available at that moment...

Personally I don't see dumping Beckham as a particularly bad move for them.

The problem is that saying it is good or bad would depend at least in part on how it fits in to what appear to be the team's plans. I tend to agree with those who are asserting that the Giants are acting as if they don't have a plan, so from that standpoint one really can't say it's good or bad.
OTOH if you turn out to be right about OBJ being another TO, then that does make it at least an OK move.

Despite what the Arizona HC might say about wanting to draft Murray:

1) He might not be telling the truth and that’s just trade bait (as we already discussed)

And 2) if they can’t get reasonably good trade value for Rosen.

Having two back to back first round pick QBs on your roster is not a good idea at all. With each passing year Rosen’s trade value will only go down (particularity with him getting farther down with his rookie contract running out with each passing year).

This gauranteeing a complete waste of a first round pick.

Great way to establish a culture of losing. You would think teams are of this because of how the Browns were for an incredibly long time.

With Rosen they aren't talking just a wasted first round pick. I don't remember exactly what the terms were, but they gave up quite a bit to move up to that pick they used. I'm pretty sure it was their first and a third, at least, to move them up five spots so they could get a guy that they now seem to not really want.

It was a different regime (the only excuse) but that is incredibly good to play QB carousel to get “your guy” instead of what is in the long term best interest of the franchise.

Gronk retires. I wonder if they'll take a tight end with their first-round pick.

edit: How much dead cap space do the Pats have to eat from this?

Last edited:
They get 9.2 million relief which leaves a 2 mil dead cap hit. So not bad.

What do you mean by relief?

What do you mean by relief?

They don't have to pay him the 9.2 million, so they have that much more cap space than they had before he retired. The two million is bonus money he was already paid that was designated to count against this season, so it is "dead cap" that still counts even with him gone.

Top Bottom