1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

In that vein, you might get a chuckle from this from poster Pat at Football Outsiders (commenting on Gase hire and the Reid coaching tree) :

Full article/comments : https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2019/new-york-jets-hire-adam-gase-coach

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Jets finalize deal with Adam Gase. This leaves Miami with no current coach and seriously under the gun that whoever they hire has to be a clear step up from Gase. He went 5-1 against the Jets in Miami, and if the Jets turn around and start beating the Dolphins under their new coach that guy is gonna hear about it. Not that that's fair, since the Jets are at least on paper a franchise on the rise, where the Dolphins are a job Gase was probably quietly happy to leave in the rear view mirror, but still. As long as Darnold has better luck healthwise than Tannehill had this may work out really well for Gase and the Jets. A solid choice and three spiders.
    Even better...you remember that line about fumigating the building to make sure Hue Jackson isn't hiding in the building somewhere? Looks like Cincinnati is seriously considering him.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I don't know what in God's name the Cardinals are doing but Kliff Kingsbury is the second biggest (and least orange) case of failing upwards in America in the past two years

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. Timsup2nothin

Well, you are in good company. The Cardinals apparently don't know what they are doing either.

5. Serutan

Speaking of Tanier...

F.Y.R.P.:

His take on the firings.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...things-worse-from-broncos-to-jets-to-dolphins

His take on the games last weekend + more coaching comments:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tion-can-weekends-winners-keep-winning#slide0

And a special one on the Browns:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lves-by-hiring-freddie-kitchens-as-head-coach

6. Serutan

"Falling upward" - Yeah, I think he may have risen a bit past his level of incompetence.

7. Light Cleric

Tanier has good stuff and I agree with most of this, but I think Mike Munchak didn't get a fair shot. You're not going to a win of ton of games when you're given QBs like Matt Hasselbeck, one of Jake Locker's legs, Clipboard Jesus, and Rusty Smith and a generally untalented roster, and he actually did an okay job with what he was given. I feel like he deserves another chance.

8. Serutan

Agree. Also hope that Fangio is being cynical enough to do pad his retirement fund with Elway's money and then ride off into the sunset when get gets fired.

9. Serutan

I decided to go to the Cardinals board at SB Nation, and ... I don't know what they put into the Phoenix water supply but it must be potent 'cuz they seem to be in overwhelming approval {or overwhelming denial because once again they did not get their first choice}.

10. Timsup2nothin

Favorite line:

11. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

So, with the Jets hiring Adam Gase and the Dolphins potentially landing Brian Flores...Is it safe to say the Pats are going to be the AFC East champions for the foreseeable future? This has got to be the worst division in football...

12. Light Cleric

Adam, your thoughts?

Also a bonus, Name Brand vs Great Value:

Spoiler :

13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Will Hunt play football in the NFL next year?
    The Nagy KC connection is providing a lot of fodder for talk Radio to discuss him playing in Chicago next year.

14. Serutan

That thought is obviously HEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRE'S JOHNNY!!!!

15. Serutan

w.r.t. the Jets & Dolphins, yes. Until the organizations are purged, they'll never get past mediocrity. The Bills? Harder to say (they did do a purge, but the jury is out on how that turned out) but I will state that next year if opposing DCs dare Allen beat to them with his arm the Bills are no threat.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Finally telling the truth about where I'm from.

I wonder how long Tom Brady can continue playing at the level he is now. They already lost both Garropolo and the other guy (forget his name but he was with the Colts last year). I also wonder if Belichick will retire at the same time Brady does. I anticipate AFC East being a much more winnable division for the other three when it happens.

17. Timsup2nothin

I wonder how long Brady will deteriorate before he finally calls it quits. The level he is at now is a couple notches below last year, at least, and at that rate he's going to be a punch drunk bum next year or the year after...but if he doesn't pull the cord himself he is going to remain the starter in New England. He knows where too many Cheatriot skeletons are buried for the team to make him do anything he doesn't want to do.

caketastydelish likes this.
  18. caketastydelish

If Brady plays like trash there’s no way the Pats can remain a strong team with a trash quarterback. The last time a team like that won a Super Bowl was Peyton Manning’s last hurrah, and it will be difficult for Belichick to be able produce that kind of a shutdown defense. It doesn’t help that Gronk isn’t what he used to be either.

19. Timsup2nothin

He's not playing "like trash" yet, but he's getting close. There's no question that this season the offense was built around what he could still do. If they had played a lot of games against teams that had the coaching and personnel to take that away from them and make them try to do something else they'd have been in trouble. I suspect that even with their "weak" defense Andy Reid will have the Chiefs prepared to expose him.

20. caketastydelish

I didn't say yet, but it's getting there. It's apparent that he will be trash two years from now, if not this very next season.

edit: unrelated note:

a long list of teams are thinking to sign Antonio Brown and the Seahawks are on that list.

Personally, I hope we do it. It will improve our passing game a lot (which we seriously need). That would keep our defense off the field at the very least, and obviously, help us put up a lot more points.