2019 NFL Offseason thread

Even last season the Panthers were pretty bad... just imagine how bad they'll be without Cam Newton. I can see the Packers and Steelers tanking though. Especially Steelers. We don't know how the Steelers offense will be without Antonio Brown and with Big Ben in his twilight years in the NFL tanking could be in their best long term interest anyway.

The Dolphins, Raiders, Texans and Panthers will not tank. They may finish under .500 but they will win enough games to remain relevant into the wild card race.

My BOLD prediction is that the Packers and Steelers will tank... both finishing with less than 5 wins.

I will congratulate you heartily if you are right on both counts there...but won't be surprised if you are right about the Packers. When I finished that last post I wandered off to the car wash thinking about who else I expect to be in that first five picks next season, since I already said the Giants and Ravens and implied the Dolphins would but that the Raiders and Cardinals wouldn't. It gave me something to contemplate while eating tacos and waiting for my gf's car. And the Packers came right to the front as far as filling one of those remaining spaces.

Steelers though...I saw a talking head the other day who pointed out that the Steelers have had rough times, and had weak on paper rosters, and had tumultuous off-seasons, and gone into seasons where everyone was crowing about the final nail in the dynasty coffin having been driven...this time right through the center of the lid to finally shred that black and gold heart...but Mike Tomlin has never coached a losing season. Much as I'd like to agree and throw some dirt on there, that freakin' zombie has stood up too many times for me to have any confidence at all.

My competitors for 1st pick next year in no particular order:

1. Giants - You lot have pretty much said it all, so I won't add.
2. Cardinals - Murray ain't setting the world on fire next season and if he is too fond of taking off when pressured could easily suffer RG3's fate. Which is not implausible given the Cardinals didn't do much with their O-line this offseason. And let's not forget that Kingsbury didn't even get a sniff a college HC job after TT fired him, nor that he was unable to win or contend the Big 12 with Patrick Mahomes.
3. Miami - Just not good right now even if they don't overtly tank. If there's any justice in the world Rosen will be able to do enough to convince them that he's their guy (no, I'm not holding my breath).
4. Carolina - Cam's shoulder will tank them as either a) he'll have to sit out the season or b) he comes back too soon and the shoulder craps out.
5. Vikings - Can't point to anything specific, just a feeling they'll implode. My bold prediction that will be gleefully thrown back in my face in December.

The Packers and Ravens could be in the mix but I think they'll be comfortably mediocre next year.

Tough calls : Steelers could be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 and I have no clue which way it will go.
Lions - will they be mediocre or outright bad?
Titans - Mariota will make them or break them. Flip that coin.
Niners - Jimmy G's last chance.

The only reason the Steelers won't tank is Big Ben. He didn't sign an extension to lose.
And I agree that Tomlin isn't a tanking kind of guy either.

Packers, I agree and really really hope so. Steelers, I'll go out on a limb and say they'll be above 500. (assuming Ben stays healthy, which is never a sure thing)

My competitors for 1st pick next year in no particular order:

1. Giants - You lot have pretty much said it all, so I won't add.
2. Cardinals - Murray ain't setting the world on fire next season and if he is too fond of taking off when pressured could easily suffer RG3's fate. Which is not implausible given the Cardinals didn't do much with their O-line this offseason. And let's not forget that Kingsbury didn't even get a sniff a college HC job after TT fired him, nor that he was unable to win or contend the Big 12 with Patrick Mahomes.
3. Miami - Just not good right now even if they don't overtly tank. If there's any justice in the world Rosen will be able to do enough to convince them that he's their guy (no, I'm not holding my breath).
4. Carolina - Cam's shoulder will tank them as either a) he'll have to sit out the season or b) he comes back too soon and the shoulder craps out.
5. Vikings - Can't point to anything specific, just a feeling they'll implode. My bold prediction that will be gleefully thrown back in my face in December.

The Packers and Ravens could be in the mix but I think they'll be comfortably mediocre next year.

Tough calls : Steelers could be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 and I have no clue which way it will go.
Lions - will they be mediocre or outright bad?
Titans - Mariota will make them or break them. Flip that coin.
Niners - Jimmy G's last chance.

I agree with your list other than your last 3. Lions defense really started to pick it up late in the season last year, and he added a lot more pieces to their D this offseason to make it all the better. And QBs performance fluctuate year to year and I doubt Stanford will have an “off” season two years in a row. Finally, he drafted one of the best tight end prospects to come out of the draft in a long time.

I disagree with the Titans because their roster was already pretty good and with the additions of Humphries and Brown I anticipate their offense will put up a lot of points.

The 49ers I disagree with because I think Garropolo will stay healthy but more importantly I think they will have the single most improving defense from last season to this one in the NFL.

Even last season the Panthers were pretty bad... just imagine how bad they'll be without Cam Newton. I can see the Packers and Steelers tanking though. Especially Steelers. We don't know how the Steelers offense will be without Antonio Brown and with Big Ben in his twilight years in the NFL tanking could be in their best long term interest anyway.

yeah but it's an odd-numbered season so the Panthers are probably going to like 12-4

I also forgot to mention that I anticipate NFC south as a whole (except for the Panthers themselves) being much stronger.

The Saints are already good, the Bucs added a lot to the defense plus they now have a competent head coach, and the Falcons beefed up their offensive line. Also the only why the Falcons were bad last year is because of their defense having exceptionally bad luck with regard to injuries. That is unlikely to happen two years in a row.

Last edited:
I don't get it. :confused:

Anyway, it's hard to defend Seahawks fans right now. I dared suggest Mahomes is better than Wilson and they all viciously attacked me and downvoted me.

edit: for clarification, this happened on Reddit.

Last edited:
Then they can easily be dismissed as fanboys.
Oh by the way, GO BEARS.

This is for @Sommerswerd (or any other 49er fan)

You have to click the link to watch it on Youtube, you can't watch it on CFC sadly.

I don't get it. :confused:

Anyway, it's hard to defend Seahawks fans right now. I dared suggest Mahomes is better than Wilson and they all viciously attacked me and downvoted me.

The horse in the picture is the one that crossed the line first in the Kentucky Derby yesterday but got disqualified because it interfered with other horses

I"m not alone in thinking the 2019 49ers will be good.

Chris Simms pointed out the fly in the ointment - Garappolo staying healthy. His (brief) history as a starter is that he does not stay healthy. If the future shows that this was just bad luck, all well and good. Otherwise, don't forget that one of the most important abilities is availability.

Yeah, started twelve, finished eight, does not make for a high level of confidence that he will make it through sixteen.

If the future shows that this was just bad luck, all well and good. Otherwise, don't forget that one of the most important abilities is availability.

Sam Bradford has entered the chat

Top Bottom