1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Talk about someone who was able to game the system...

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

A football conspiracy theory I just came up with.

Anyone find it suspicious that the "Patriots" all of a sudden became an unbelievable dynasty after 9/11?

And the only other team with much power to stop them is a team from New York Giants? (especially them, rather than the Jets). :eek:

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

My cousin complained about exactly that to me in 2001, how the Patriots, quote "sucked before 2001, lost all their games before 9-11 and then didn't lose a game after, and went all the way to win the Superbowl all of a sudden.".:lol:

He technically wasn't correct... they did lose games after 9-11, but they did do a dramatic turnaround between 2000 and 2001, despite being pretty lackluster in the nineties aside from 2 seasons and starting out the 2001 season appearing to be the same old sorry Patriots from the prior year.

But then you remember that Billy B first joined the team in 2000. It took him one year to clean house, and then then the dynasty began. Considering that Bellichick was acquired from the New York Jets... the conspiracy theory isn't as interesting...

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. caketastydelish

Maybe that's why he left? :lol:

5. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Metal Gear Solid 2 was released on November 13, 2001 and was the first game to mention The Patriots

3 months later the Patriots win their first Super Bowl

rly makes u think

6. Sommerswerd

7. Serutan

Ladies and Gentlemen, your new Jets Acting General Manager!

Jets are being JETSY.

8. caketastydelish

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. Sommerswerd

The Browns are winning the AFC North...

Yeah I said it...

10. caketastydelish

The Browns should probably be favorites to win AFC North. But I still anticipate it being a loaded division. Perhaps none of the teams will have a losing record. I also anticipate the AFC Conference generally being stronger than the NFC.

11. Serutan

I like the way you neglected to specify the season in which it will happen. :mischief:

Definitely doable; but there are lots and lots of variables in play between the Browns (how quickly will OBJ/rest of receivers/Mayfield gel),
    Steelers (how much will they miss Brown, have they fixed the defense?, and where is Ben w.r.t. the cliff?), and Nevermores (how much of a step forward will Jackson take this year, and how much worse will the D be?) but right now my inclination would be to say that the AFCN is
    wide open this year - barring injuries of course.

All this is a long winded way of saying the Perversity Theorem of the Universe dictates the Bengals run away with it.

12. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

The Bengals will attain mediocrity at best. But I predict a last place finish in the division.

13. Sommerswerd

I don't think the Steelers or Bengals will have winning records. I think the Ravens will be in the hunt, ultimately ending up between 7-9 and 9-7.

14. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

As long as Big Ben is standing, you can't count them out. But if he goes down, it's all over.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't like the Steelers but I expect them to still be in contention for winning their division. I'd prefer the Browns to win, and I do think Browns/Steelers are ahead of Bengals/Ravens, but none of these teams really separate in my mind.

Lamar Jackson was pretty bad both by traditional stats and QBR. He was a rookie, so a lot can change for year 2, but Ravens are probably the shakiest team unless/until he does. Teams will have more tape on their run scheme next season.

Thumbing through the QB stats, I was actually surprised to see SF's Nick Mullens ranked 21st in QBR. With a positive TD-INT, 8.3 YPA, and 64% completion percentage he's a top tier backup and played better than some of last year's starters. He's only 24 too, he'd be worth a flyer to compete for a starting job on a bad team once his contract with SF is up. Probably won't amount to much but if he gets significantly better he's in the top half of the league's starters, if not then he's still a good backup.

16. Sommerswerd

With Jackson, we've heard this song before... the QB with great legs makes a big splash in his rookie season or 2nd year, teams start taking him seriously and figure him out and he gets shut down in following seasons.

About Mullens... I was rooting hard for him to turnout to be the 49ers savior, because I was hoping they would drop Jimmy G in favor of Mullens... alas, he couldn't deliver any wins, so his good performance will be overlooked in favor of the "franchise" QB, who doesn't have much more of a performance to speak of.

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Typically, QBs "with legs" get hurt and/or stop being utilized as a proper run threat. I still want to see an NFL team gather good running QBs into one place and use them to their full run threat, half-field reading potential as runners. If one gets hurt, put the next one in, like running backs. College has a lot more QBs like this right now than pro teams utilize, so some market correction could make sense.

I thought Mullens did pull a win or two. Nevertheless, his QBR was ahead of all of last year's rookies and his traditional numbers were also quite good as far as young QBs go. I don't know what he did or didn't do in college to go undrafted, but he's shown enough in the pros that basically anybody who needs a QB should be looking for a flyer on him. I guess that does include SF, since they're keeping him. Jimmy G has barely proven more, and given his injury history we might get another look whether SF wants that or not.

18. caketastydelish

The rational part of my brain tells me that another team is willing to pay more for Gerald McCoy than the Seahawks will. That doesn't change the fact that I've gotten my hopes up. :blush:

19. caketastydelish

20. Sommerswerd

You're really preoccupied with the 49ers... I'm starting to think you're secretly a closet 49ers fan :p

Or is all this extra expectation gassing on the 49ers (and bar lowering for the Seahawks) just your way of hedging expectations for the Seahawks performance in the division? :think: