1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 26, 2018.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. caketastydelish

So you want a decisive opinion about another team, here is one.

The Steelers will be very good this year not because of their offense (which will be worse without AB but still be decent) but because of their defense. The Steelers have been heavily investing draft capital into their defense (first round picks and more for the last several years) and it's finally going to fall into place and pay off. Very similar to the Saints situation: Aging, elite QB in "win now" mode, with a team that has been heavily investing into its defense for a good while. Elite QB singlehandedly guarantees the offense will be average at worst as long as he's healthy and the defense is good because of all the investments they've made.

Expect the Steelers to tear it up. Their loaded defense will wreak havoc, and a result, Big Ben won't even have to play risky as he did in the past because his defense will keep in games. My advice is to invest in the Steelers defense in your fantasy. And yes, I anticipate the Steelers defense being better than that of the 49ers. The Steelers defense overall is considerably better than that of the 49ers, and the offense will be about the same, as long as Jimmy G and Big Ben both stay healthy.

I'm also not so sure about the Browns winning the division anymore. It's worth noting that no team in the NFL has had more of a consistent "culture of winning" over the past 15 years than the Steelers, with the Patriots being the only obvious exception.

I won't deny for a moment that the future looks bright for Cleveland, but beating this Steelers team will be very hard. They've always relied on Big Ben to score big to compensate for the weakness on the other side of the ball, and that weakness has been erased.

IF the Steelers beat the Patriots in their first game of the season (a very good possibility when your opponent has an aging, broken down quarterback you can easily shut out), that could be the momentum that keeps them going for a long time.

I expect them to go either 11-5 or 12-4. A team with this kind of culture of winning will almost never miss the playoffs twice in a row.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

The Steelers will not finish over .500.

I love your new Avatar BTW. Keep those videos coming :D

4. caketastydelish

I'll get around to it. For the time being, I am going to remember that post by you. And bring it up again deep in the season to see if you were right, from how the Steelers are doing.

The 49ers will be a playoff team but are not contenders to win the Super Bowl. You can't really be a Super Bowl contender if you aren't a complete team, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Their front 4 is about as OP as you can get, their linebackers are decent... but their secondary is awful.

I expect the secondary to put up better numbers in 2019 not because of better performance from the players, but because it's much easier to "block" wide receivers when your d-line gives opposing QBs practically no time whatsoever before they're forced to get rid of the ball. Note that Chicago had the "best secondary" in the NFL last year and while no doubt they had talented players (better than what San Francisco has now), their dominant front 4 made their secondaries life a lot easier.

It will probably take one more draft/offseason for them fix their secondary, and thus, be a complete team. For the time being, they'll still be a lot stronger than they were in any recent years since the last time they made the playoffs, but a bad secondary is going to hurt. The 2019 49ers (as long as Garropolo and Bosa stay healthy) will be an above average, solid team. But not a spectacular one. They'll be contenders to win a loaded in NFC West, but I can't see them making a deep playoff run.

5. caketastydelish

6. caketastydelish

I was thinking we could assemble a FF league this season specifically for the NFL poster regulars here at CFC. If anyone else would be interested in this? I'd prefer not to be the owner (or whatever you call it) of the league because I'm new to FF myself but this sounds like a lot of fun.

7. caketastydelish

I'm as hyped up on the Chargers this year as I am last year... only this year I think they'll be better.

With their second-round draft pick, I believe that completes for them to have the best secondary in the NFL. As for their already good defensive line? They got a steal with their first-round draft pick (second year in a row in which they do that). Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, and this guy. Wow.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-jerry-tillery-is-elite-top-10-prospect

8. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Very sad about the Miami player who lost his arm.

9. caketastydelish

Who?

Edit: perhaps Shaquem Griffin could give him some advice. (I am not joking).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. caketastydelish

Here is a list of all the teams in the NFL that I think will probably have at least average if not above average defensive lines: Browns, Steelers, Chargers, Broncos, Jaguars, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings, Bears, Packers, Rams, Cardinals, 49ers, Saints, Panthers, Bills, Texans.

The Texans one is iffy because it presumes Watt and Clowney don't get injured. The Seahawks I didn't include in the list but remain up in the air because we don't know how good L.J. Collier is actually going to be, and if Ezekiel Ansah will actually stay healthy. If both of them turn out good (and healthy, obviously), then the Seahawks will have a strong d-line as well. I just find the more unlikely than likely.

That's potentially 19 teams that I'm saying will be "good", with "good" obviously being a relative term here. Part of it is this draft was deep for defensive lineman, meaning the 2019 season will probably involve a lot of sacks.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

There's 32 teams in the NFL. So it would seem that by definition at least 16 teams must be "average or above average". Also, you can't have 18 "above average" teams in a 32 team league, just by virtue of math.

A more meaningful prediction would be to name who you think will be the top 5.

rah likes this.
  12. caketastydelish

You have a point. I should have let that part out. That last part was the main point of my post:

I expect poorer quarterback play this season than in recent years due to over half of the teams in the league having solid defensive lines. As a whole, the d-lines are much stronger this year than they've been in recent years. Obviously, not every game is going to be as bad as the most recent Super Bowl, but on average there will be fewer points per game.

Personally, I hope this prediction is correct because I'm sick of a pass-happy OP league where games are just decided by whoever got to touch the ball last.

Also, if my prediction is correct: the few teams with very good offensive lines will have a decisive advantage, particularly come playoff time.

Considering my opinion is there are so many good defensive lines, it's hard to name what would be the top 5. I will try to name 5 but no promises.

The only one I can say for certain off the top of my head is the Jaguars. Not because their defense is, overall, on paper any better than last season (they've gained some and lost some), but because their defense will "improve" because of their offense keeping their defense off the field.

Even if Nick Foles isn't what they were hoping for, that isn't really a requirement for him to be much better at the quarterback position than what they had a season ago. They also added Jawaan Taylor (considered a steal and where they drafted him and one of the best offensive tackles in the draft), meaning the 2017 version of Fournette is likely coming back. Their d-line has a strong rotation to begin with, but I'm sure they will make life miserable for opposing QBs for the 100% duration of each game.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

My brother and I patiently waiting for the season to start. Bill and Rich NFL desk.jpg

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Well, training camp opens in a couple of weeks.

15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I don't consider it time until I"m doing a fantasy draft. :)

16. caketastydelish

1) is that supposed to be a joke? You both look like exactly the same person.

2) Did you use photoshop to make that happen? Or how else?

17. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

1) We're identical Twins
    2) We were at my niece's (my twin's daughter) wedding last week near Bristol. She's a producer for ESPN so she was able to get us in there. Since it's the off season, we were able to go on the set and take some pictures. If you check out the poster's picture thread in the OT you'll see a few other shots we took.

Here's another angle of the set

Attached Files:

18. caketastydelish

I'm going to lay off on " top defensive lines in 2019" for now because I find the list difficult to compile for the time being.

However, there is something more doable.

The top 5 secondaries in the NFL (no particular order).

1) Patriots
    2) Ravens
    3) Chargers
    4) Packers
    5) Jaguars
    6) (I'm cheating) Bears
    7) (cheating even more) the Denver Broncos. They've added Kareem Jackson and Bryce Callahan (upgrades over what they had) and we already know their new head coach knows how to build/play a secondary.
    8) cheating EVEN MORE Seattle Seahawks. Pete Carroll is the single best DB coach in the NFL and knows how to get the most out of his players at the position. Yes losing Justin Coleman hurt but it's worth noting that nobody wanted him until Carroll figured out how to utilize him.

But: on 6 I'm the least sure because I'm unsure how they'll function without Adrian Amos And more importantly, how good they'll play without their defensive coordinator.

It's worth noting, though, that for stat purposes I don't think 1, 2, 4, and 8 will be the official "best secondary" as far as the numbers go. I say this not because of the overall strength/talent of the unit, but because those secondaries are attached to weaker pass rushes, thus giving opposing offenses more time to pick the secondary apart.

edit: For reference, to help understand my point more, the 49ers are the exact opposite: Their secondary is complete and utter crap outside of Richard Sherman (who isn't even quite as good as he used to be), but their secondary will "improve" because of a stacked defense line forcing opposing QBs to get rid of the ball quickly. For the purpose of this 8 team list, I'm talking about teams who have the actual talent/strength of the secondary alone, not how it would function in relation to the rest of the defense/team.

The Bears had the best secondary in the NFL last year so it's pretty hard not to include them but their losses make it an uncertainty that they will remain a top unit.

I know 8 is a lot more than 5 but these are the only teams I can think of who are realistic contenders for the title "best secondary of the 2019 season".

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  19. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Pagano has come in tying not to stir anything up and is know for his skills there, so I don't really expect a drop off. While they had a few losses, I think their continuity will keep them near the top. But what will be more important will be if Trubisky takes the next step and keeps the offense on the field longer so the defense can be rested and aggressive. Their line is pretty damn good.

20. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Please don't remind us of that. IT still gets discussed almost every week of the season.
    The worst thing is that management still stand by their decision despite the obvious evidence otherwise.
    That pick that we traded to move up one to choose the wrong guy probably would have netted us another good DB.