2019 NFL Offseason thread

Fine, another topic. Would you all like us, here at CFC to have our own fantasy football for this season? I am a noob to fantasy so I'd prefer someone else host but I'd be down.

Edit: here is something else.

Teams that I think should be favorites to win AFC
championship:

Patriots (Tom Brady may finally start to show his age but I’ll believe it when I see it), Steelers, Browns, Chargers, Jaguars, Colts.

If the winner isn’t one of those teams I’d be pretty shocked. “What about the Chiefs” what they did last year on offense will be pretty hard to replicate, and I still don’t believe in their defense. Again, I’ll believe it when I see it.

NFC North contenders: Cowboys, Eagles, Packers, Saints.

I have the Titans as the AFC team with the most improved offense. I’m still contemplating on the NFC.

Last edited:
We'd need at least 8 for a decent fantasy league, 10 would be better.
Finding a day and time to do a quick draft is always an issue. If we started early enough we could probably do a slow draft in this thread.

Okay, breaks over...how 'bout them 49ers? I'm gonna predict that at the end of the season 49ers fans are going to be envious of teams that went 8-8...but will still be able to look down at the Giants.
I've looked at the schedule and I'm predicting 10-6 and a playoff bid. I think we beat the Seahawks and Cardinals twice along with the Bucs and Bengals. I also think the Steelers and Packers will be in shambles this season and ripe for the picking. I'm writing off the Rams and Saints games, but I think the rest of the games should be able to yield another 2 wins. I doubt 9-7 makes the playoffs because they will be playing for a Wildcard, however, I could swallow a 9-7 playoff appearance. 8-8 would be a pretty huge disappointment.

But what I really want to talk about is how good the Browns will be, since that bears of the calculation. I am thinking the Browns win that division outright, with the Ravens being the only ones to really put up a fight. I know the Steelers have the mystique, but they seem to be severely wounded. I will repeat that I don't thin the Steelers break .500 this year. I'm thinking that division shakes out with Browns at #1, Ravens #2, Steelers at #3 and Bengals last. Looking at their schedule this year, I think the Browns can go 11-5.

Last edited:
We have extremely different opinions about the Steelers. Their offense won't be quite as good without AB but will still be solid, above league average.

Their defense will be up a whole other level than in recent previous years, so overall they will be one ferocious team. They should be the favorites to win their division IMO. Adding Steven Nelson to their secondary will help immensely and Devin Bush, if he is all he's set out to be (I personally think he is), will give them one of the best front 7's in all of football.

Beating the Seahawks @Centurylink is easier said than done.

The Packers I also think will be very strong. Similar to the Steelers, above-average offense as long as their franchise QB stays healthy, but a very good defense. Are you aware of what the Packers have done to address the defensive side of the ball? It's no contest compared to anything they've had in recent memory.

I agree that the Cardinals will probably be trash, but when you have a new head coach and a new QB, nothing is a given. Personally, I'm not entirely sold on this (the best argument I've personally encountered as to whether he will be legit), but you never know until they hit the field.

Last edited:
They are riding down the chute with Eli because there is no such thing as a replacement, and that's reality for any team with a long term face of the franchise quarterback. The Steelers will ride down the chute with Roethlisberger and suck for a while. The Eagles rode down the chute with McNabb and sucked for a while. The Dolphins rode down the chute with Marino and have sucked ever since, which demonstrates a really unfortunate range of possibilities that a team like the Giants needs to worry about. Stability is really the key to success, and the one inescapable truth about stability is that no matter how lo+ng it lasts, it does end. That end is invariably messy, and in fact is made messier when the stability lasted a long time and/or produced really big success...meaning that the Giants are only as much of a mess as should really be expected, since Eli lasted a very long time and produced the biggest successes available.

The closest thing to an exception was the Colts and that's because of how much Peyton masked the true talent level of the team - losing him that year made them #1 pick bad, and they got a massive stroke of Luck in the QBs available that year and they could release Peyton without devastating cap consequences. Not exactly an combination that crops up regularly.

Re : Fantasy league - Sorry guys, Owen's pickem is fun but fantasy is not my speed.

Is that due to didn't like it or never done it? I had never done it until a few years ago, and then found out how easy it was.

Edit: this was a reply to what Tim and Serutan said.

Giants fans are accustomed to a championship culture so they won’t put up with (going to sugar coat it) great draft picks for an indefinite period of time.

They have said they’d be willing to sit Daniel Jones for up to 3 years, but if the Giants continue to piss the bed for that long the front office and head coach will be out of jobs. It doesn’t help that the other 3 teams in their division will be above average teams this year. It doesn’t help (at least in the short term) that they traded away their best wide receiver. It doesn’t help that Eli isn’t what he used to be and their defense (always strong when they’re super bowl contenders), is, at the moment, mostly smelly garbage. It doesn’t help that Giants fans are already publicly booing Daniel Jones at sporting events he goes to as if it were even the poor kids fault that they selected him where they did.

Is that due to didn't like it or never done it? I had never done it until a few years ago, and then found out how easy it was.

The best way to put it is that the concept simply doesn't interest me.

They have said they’d be willing to sit Daniel Jones for up to 3 years,
If they start 1 and 5, we'll see DJ game 7. Or when the Yankees get eliminated from the playoffs. Whichever happens first.

I think it is very plausible that they start 1 and 5.

If they start 1 and 5, we'll see DJ game 7. Or when the Yankees get eliminated from the playoffs. Whichever happens first.

No, they'll want to do it while the Yankees are in the playoffs in the hopes that it won't get noticed quite so much.

That may be too early. They've been too loyal to ELI so I think they have to at least pretend they gave him a shot.
But then, what the heck do I know.

The earliest they could get bounced would be NFL Week 5 or Week 6. If they get to the Series, it'll be around the first of November.

Mike Daniels, a solid defensive player from Green Bay released to save cap space. Hopefully, the hawks will get him (especially with Jarran Reed's six-game suspension). In a pass-happy league having solid defensive ends are a big deal, so somewhere he will get paid.

The Jarran Reed suspension is bullfeathers btw. Whether he deserves it in and of itself is another story, but there was far more actual evidence of what Tyreek Hill has done (not to mention the fact that he has an actual proven track record of domestic violence in the past), and Tyreek Hill completely got away with it whereas Reed faces a six-game suspension.

I don't want to be one of those "the league should punish players when they do something wrong unless they play for my team" people, but all I ask for is consistency.

The earliest they could get bounced would be NFL Week 5 or Week 6. If they get to the Series, it'll be around the first of November.

I don't keep up with baseball but apparently, the Yankees have the best regular-season record in the MLB, so the Yankees making the playoffs is a pretty good chance. Personally, I think sitting Daniel Jones out for the entire year is the better long term investment, no matter how bad they are. Let them suck for another year so you can surround your new franchise QB (who has a year of training under his belt) with better talent. They even said they'd do it for up to 3 years, or until Eli retires. Personally, I think that would be optimal, but whether they'll actually do it (or even get the chance) is another story.

edit: OTOH if this is to be believed, then obviously not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom