2019 NFL Offseason thread

In other news, it didn't take long at all for Mahomes to sell out. :(

Love this commercial BTW. I love seeing athletes being able to cash in on a lifetime of literal bone-breaking, health-risking work. So few professions like that actually give you an opportunity to do so. Soldiers for example get jack squat unless they can successfully claim combat-related disability.

Seahawks pick up Jachai Polite, a defensive player who was projected to have a first-round grade until bombing interviews at the combine. He couldn't get along with Adam Gase (far from the only player who can honestly say that) and we pick him up for nothing (it was a release, not even a trade) and the potential is out of the roof. Pete Carroll is perhaps only second to Belichick in getting the most out of his players, and now Polite has a chip on his shoulders since he realizes he's going to actually have to work hard to have a career.

Obviously, he might not live to his potential, but considering we got him for absolutely nothing for a player with a high upside, that's a steal.

edit: Carroll is also defensive-minded (unlike Gase) thus making him even more likely to get the most out of him compared to Gase. Carroll is known as a "players coach" because they're fond of him (opposite of Gase) and defense is his specialty. Even with those two things said it's obviously not a guarantee that he will reach his ceiling, but the fact that we managed to pick him up for nothing is very good.

Something I just thought of. One team that (potentially) could be pretty good is the Broncos. I say that very hesitantly because they have a new HC who has never been a HC before so we have no idea how he'll do.

If he ends up being all that, at least defensively, then that should make things interesting. Flacco has a higher upside than Keenum IMO, and more importantly, they now have the Steeler's o-line coach (has consistently had a successful record putting up good o-lines).

I'm far from certain that the Broncos will be great, but the upside is there. They could potentially improve on both sides of the ball, which would obviously make them a solid team.

After contemplating this some more, I'm much more confident that the Broncos will have a good season. I would be extremely surprised if they don't have at least a winning record. Bold statement for a team in that division, but here it is.

edit: on an unrelated note here is something else I realized (not sure why it took me so long to realize this).

I am almost certain the reason Clowney insisted on Seattle instead of Miami is for his long term future. He's on this one year contract no matter what but the better numbers he puts up this year, the more leverage he'll have for a better long-term contract once it ends.

Seattle has more firepower than Miami on both sides of the ball (and even more so after the Dolphins lost their best offensive lineman which he probably knew that trade was going to happen) so Clowney is all but guaranteed to put better numbers in Seattle than he possibly could have in Miami for this season. He has a very realistic chance of getting a bare minimum of 10 sacks, barring injuries. I don't think the same could be said if he went to the Dolphins.

He would have probably also put up good numbers with the Eagles (his other preferred choice) but my understanding is they were too tight on cap space to afford him.

edit: something funny (straight from Seahawks general manager's Wikipedia page verbatim quote)

"On August 2019, he robbed the Texans giving Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin and a third round pick for star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney[4], getting a compensatory third round pick back if he signs with other team on the 2020 free agency."

Last edited:
The people at r/Seahawks seem to have the same opinion FWIW.

That also means a lot... my first attempt at making it the stupid thing deleted everything I wrote without submitting so I had to redo it a second time.

Top Bottom