1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 26, 2018.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Finally telling the truth about where I'm from.

What are the odds that the Jags/Eagles do a trade for Fournette for Nick Foles? Some journalists have been speculating on it.

I don't think the trade would be smart for the Jags- they should find a starter quality QB elsewhere, without having to give that up.

But if the Eagles did it (while Carson Wentz finally manages to stay healthy for a season) then they would be contenders yet again. Even their Super Bowl team had no running back as good as Fournette. And they're getting two second round picks this year too.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The Jags are clashing with Fournette, so despite his talent a trade is a strong possibility. The Eagles would be a good partner since while there are other ways to get a quarterback there aren't many better things they could get for Fournette. Far from a sure thing, but I wouldn't be surprised at it if it happened.

I saw a rumor that the Broncos are taking a long look at Joe Flacco.

3. caketastydelish

The Jags retaining him (+ their defense) with a solid QB is a Super Bowl team. They should do everything possible to keep him.

4. Timsup2nothin

Perhaps. There's definitely a massive rift between him and management though. If he wants out of J'ville keeping him might not work out all that well, despite his talent, and if management is looking at him as an off field or locker room liability they might want to move on. A lot of people are also thinking that the difference between a 'star' running back and a 'journeyman' running back might not be as big as it has been made out to be.

5. caketastydelish

I think he's legit. He's the best weapon their offense has in any case, and that side of the ball is neglected enough for them as it is. It's a crying shame if they can't keep him and if so, hopefully, they can find a replacement that is anywhere near as good.

Seattle won the Super Bowl with a team that had

1) strong defense
    2) very good running back
    3) solid franchise quarterback

Jacksonville already has 2 out of 3, so they should just focus on getting the third ingredient (without giving up the first two)

6. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Browns sign Kareem Hunt. I wonder how is that gonna work out with Hunt being on the Commissioner’s Exempt List...

7. caketastydelish

Signing a woman beater is in poor taste but winning is more important to them. Nick Chubb already a good rookie season so supposing Hunt is able to play as well they’d be pretty solid at winning back.

The sign was morally questionable but as far as on the field performance this was absolutely the right decision.

The move is about as good as signing Ray Rice.

8. Timsup2nothin

If he ever comes off the exempt list it works out great. If he doesn't nothing lost. It was pretty much inevitable that some team was gonna take that chance.

9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I'm glad, since it saves the Bears the embarrassment that would have come with them signing him.

10. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

So AB twittered a good buy to Steeler's fans.
    Where will he land?
    OF course they say they want a 1st round pick for him, but I think that's unlikely.
    And of course he'd look great in a Bear's uniform, but we already gave away all of our 1st round picks. :lol:

11. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Both CBS and ESPN reporting that a Flacco to Broncos trade has been agreed upon although it won't be executed until March 13 - just like the Alex Smith trade worked last year. The teams cannot disclose details until the trade happens, but leaks have this way of happening.

12. caketastydelish

I'm not entirely sure that Flacco is any better than Case Keenum. If they can get Flacco for cheap (obviously they're going to restructure his contract), then it would be ok. He's obviously not a long term solution, though.

edit: as for Antonio Brown, the Colts have more cap space than any other team IIRC and he would make their offense legit. They're set at o-line, running back, tight end. They just have a list of nobodies other than T.Y. Hilton.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM
  13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

With his current contract, you don't need that much cap space. Many teams will have it available. But will they be able to get a first round pick for him. His latest arrest didn't help. I'm figuring the best they'll get is a high 2nd round pick.

14. Timsup2nothin

I dunno. The Cowboys giving a first rounder for Amari Cooper sets a standard where Antonio Brown is a first round pick minimum and more like a first rounder plus.

15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Amari didn't have a recent reckless driving charge when he was traded. (and other off the field issues)
    And they might get a first but IMO it will be a 2nd.

16. caketastydelish

Amari Cooper is a good wide receiver and made Prescott's numbers improve considerably. Cooper was a first-round pick himself and he didn't exactly come from nowhere. And Cooper is much younger than Brown. And as rah said, without the off the field issues.

edit: something I just thought of: With regard to the Cards and the first pick of the draft.

Nick Bosa is literally the only player worth taking with the #1 pick. I know it's not a position of need, but what happens if they can't find a partner with adequate draft ammunition willing to trade down with them? None of the teams on the board will even WANT a QB other than possibly the Bucs, so teams wanting to trade up for a QB won't have to get that high regardless. Nobody is going to trade up all the way for the top pick unless they want Bosa specifically, and is there any team that has that much ammunition (and is equally desperate) for a pass rusher?

Honestly, I foresee nobody giving the Cards an adequate deal for Bosa and then the day of the draft they do the right thing by not overthinking it and just taking the best player off the board. Most mock drafts agree that the Cards will take him, as they should.

Despite it not being a position of need it would still improve the team a lot. If Bosa is about as good as we expect (blue chip pass rusher on par with his brother), then the Cardinals would have one of the very best defensive lines (if not the very best) in all of football.

edit 2: One more thought.

If Brady doesn't decline, or, more likely, his decline is manageable, then I am going to say they are straight up Super Bowl favorites once more. The Patriots aren't losing any important players to free agency (Pats experts, correct me if I'm wrong). That said, I expect them to otherwise get stronger for last year. Last year's first-round pick, an offensive lineman was injured all season. The odds of bad luck with him striking twice in a row is very low... giving the Pats more talent (and depth) at the o-line position.

The Pats also have an EXCEPTIONAL amount of draft capital for a defending Super Bowl Championship team. Brady doesn't decline (or doesn't decline too much) then they are still in it to win it. Brady apparently thinks he can still play until he's 45 and I personally don't see him playing at that age at the level he is now, but you never know. Peyton Manning gradually got worse and then got significantly worse his very last year. If Brady bottoms out like that then they won't be favorites (even then, Manning himself won that year)... but otherwise they are still the favorites IMO.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 9:45 PM
  17. Serutan

I'm not convinced Bosa is a safe pick. His brother has an injury history, and IIRC Nick has had some injury issues too.

18. caketastydelish

So what? He's easily the best player. Do you think the injury is THAT bad?

19. Serutan

The injury in and of itself I would not consider a red flag. But since 1) Joey is looking injury prone, 2) Nick has had a college injury, and 3) as brothers they by definition have a lot of genetic similarities I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned that Nick might turn out to be injury prone too.

20. Timsup2nothin

The most important ability is availability, as the cliche goes.

I just want to take this opportunity to predict, on the record, that Case Keenum lands somewhere, and that wherever that is he wins more games than Flacco wins in Denver.