1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

It's here!!!!

Time to get those predictions for the season down for posterity so our noses can be rubbed in them later. I'll get mine in soon...definitely ahead of Thursday night's opener.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

I'll post my prediction for the season later. For now, I finally managed to get my video I made on Youtube (with subtitles, be sure to have them turned on).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. caketastydelish

AFC East:

The Patriots should be absolute favorites to win the division and perhaps even get the number one seed in the conference, short of Tom Brady suddenly getting much worse or he gets injured. The Dolphins are obviously getting last place and I think the Jets have most potential for second, but they aren't contending with the Pats to win the division. Not unless, as I said, Tom Brady falls off a cliff.

AFC North: People are sleeping on the Steelers, who finally have a strong defense (much better than it's been in a while) that will keep them in games. I think the Browns and Steelers are the only teams in the division that could win the division... or even get a wildcard spot for that matter. I'm not impressed with Lamar Jackson as a pocket passer at all, and their defense got worse everywhere except the secondary. And I shouldn't even need to elaborate on why the Bengals are garbage.

AFC South: Most people think the Texans are the favorite, but if you see the video I just posted, you would know I don't have that opinion. I think the Colts shouldn't be taken seriously either after Luck went down. So from there, it's between the Titans and Jags. Between those two I think the Titans will be the best team in the division at the first part of the year, but the Jags will gradually get better as the season goes on. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans win the division but the Jags get a wildcard spot.

AFC West:

By far the most stacked division in the conference (not close). The Chiefs will probably be about the same as they were last year. I will think more of them if their defense plays better, but I'm not counting on that. Chargers: Possibly better than last year, honestly. They are contenders to go all the way. Broncos: The ultimate sleeper team. They are MUCH better than a year ago and it will take awhile for the rest of the league to wake up and realize just how good they are. They're contenders to get a wildcard spot. And while the Raiders obviously have no chance to win the division, they're still much better than they were a year ago, thus making AFC West the most dangerous division in the AFC.

NFC:

NFC East:

The Giants are hopeless (not enough talent on the roster), and the Redskins have the talent but it will take Haskins time to develop. So it's really only between the Cowboys and Eagles. Both of which are thoroughly solid teams. Cowboys might have an edge but not by much.

NFC North: By far the most stacked team in the NFC. Every single team has a chance of having at least an even record. Yes, that includes the Lions. Their defense has made great strides, and on the other side of the ball, Matthew Stafford now has two legit tight ends.

The Packers defense is better than it has been a good while (though I'm unsure what to make of their head coach), the Bears will be about the same as last year, and the Vikings have the potential to really take off if their offense improves to the extent I think it will.

NFC South:

The Saints are the only clear choice here, short of Drew Brees getting injured or falling off a cliff. The Falcons be better than last year (better offensive lineman and starting defenders returning from injuries), and the Bucs will be better than last year (New head coach who can get the most out his quarterbacks) but neither will be in a position to threaten the Saints. The Panthers are hard to predict because so much of it depends on Cam Newton. If Cam Netwon plays to his potential then they could be a very good team, but I'm betting that he won't. The Panthers have such a deep defensive line, but if Cam is a train wreck than that will stop them.

NFC West:

Seahawks should be considered favorites here. The formula of how to shut down the Rams offense is now out, so they are expected to regress. 49ers will improve, they have better players on both sides of the ball. That said, they aren't really contenders to win the division. Cardinals: Better than last year, but not nearly good enough to win the division.

Playoffs:

AFC division champs:

Patriots, Browns, Titans, Chiefs

AFC Wildcard: Jags, Chargers

NFC division champs:

Cowboys, Bears, Saints, Seahawks:

wildcard: Eagles, Vikings

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

AFC East :
    ---------------
    1. Flying Elvii
    2. Jets
    3. Bills
    4. Dolphins.

AFC West :
    ---------------
    1. Chiefs (Bye)
    2. Chargers (WC)
    3. Broncos
    4. Raiders.

AFC South :
    ---------------
    1. Texans
    2. Colts
    3. Jags
    4. Titans.

AFC North :
    ----------
    1. Steelers (Bye)
    2. Browns (WC)
    3. Nevermores
    4. Bengals.

NFC East:
    ---------
    1. Eagles
    2. Cowboys
    3. Redskins.
    4. Giants.

NFC West:
    ---------
    1. Seahawks
    2. Rams (WC)
    3. Niners
    4. Cardinals.

NFC South:
    ----------
    1. Saints (Bye)
    2. Panthers (WC)
    3. Falcons.
    4. Bucs.

NFC North:
    ----------
    1. Bears (Bye)
    2. Lions
    3. Packers.
    4. Vikings. (As I said in the other thread I think they implode because I think Zimmer's act is wearing thin.)

NOTE : Literally any of the 24 possible combinations of AFC South finishes is plausible as far as I'm concerned. Which means anyone has a 23/24 chance of being wrong predicting it.

Steelers win AFC, Saints win NFC
    Saints win SB.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  5. Serutan

Also, NFL Network reporting Brisett gets a 2 year, $30M extension. IMO a nice calculated risk for the Colts - it's essentially
    a 'prove it' deal (by QB standards anyway), but with enough $ to create goodwill with Brisett in case he works out but not
    cap strangling in case he doesn't.

caketastydelish likes this.
  6. Timsup2nothin

AFC
    East..........................North.....................South.....................West
    Cheatriots bye..........Browns.................Jags.......................Chargers bye
    Jets...........................Steelers WC........Texans...................Chiefs WC
    Bills...........................Bengals.................Titans....................Raiders
    Dolphins...................Ravens..................Colts.....................Broncos

NFC
    East.........................North......................South.....................West
    Eagles bye..............Vikings...................Falcons.................Rams bye
    Pukes......................Bears WC.............Saints....................Squawks WC
    Washington.............Lions......................Bucs......................Cards
    Giants......................Packers.................Panthers................49ers

I agree, and feel much the same way about a startling number of divisions. Parity is really setting in.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  7. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

AFC North AFC South AFC West AFC East NFC North NFC South NFC East NFC West
    Ravens Colts Chiefs Patriots Packers Saints Cowboys Rams
    Browns (WC) Titans Chargers (WC) Bills Bears (WC) Falcons Eagles Seahawks (WC)
    Steelers Texans Broncos Dolphins Vikings Panthers Redskins Niners
    Bengals Jaguars Raiders Jets Lions n/a Giants Cardinals

8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

AFC North
    Browns
    Steelers (WC)
    Ravens
    Bengals

AFC South
    Titans
    Colts
    Texans
    Jaguars

AFC West
    Chiefs
    Chargers (WC)
    Broncos
    Raiders

AFC East
    Patriots
    Bills
    Dolphins
    Jets

NFC North
    Bears
    Vikings (WC)
    Pacers
    Lions

NFC South
    Saints
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Bucs

NFC East
    Eagles
    Cowboys (WC)
    Redskins
    Giants

NFC West
    Rams
    Seahawks
    Niners
    Cardinal

Attached Files:

9. caketastydelish

Rams sign Goff to a record breaking contract. I think that mistake was as huge as the contract itself.

10. Serutan

Holy feces!!!! $134M, $110M guaranteed? If I were a GM I wouldn't be giving that kind of money to a guy to which his coach gives absolutely no leeway at all.

Light Cleric likes this.
  11. Timsup2nothin

It seems to work for Goff. The coaching, not the money. Well, I'm sure the money works for him too, but you know what I mean.

No structure released yet, but I'm going to make a wild prediction...the structure is going to leave the Rams a lot of open cap space (well, compared to other years of the deal) in 2020...so they can eat 25 million in dead cap if Gurley is medically retired.

12. caketastydelish

I honestly don't even see the point of this. My understanding the Rams still being in "win-now mode", means "win now while we still have great/important players on rookie contracts". My understanding is they didn't to pay him this year... heck even next year would have just been his fifth-year option. As the Titans are doing with Mariota. They just forfeited the advantages of having a franchise QB on a rookie contract IMO.

Of course, the Eagles did the same. I think both made mistakes. Goff can't perform well in the playoffs, and Wentz, worse, can't even stay healthy enough to show up to them.

13. Timsup2nothin

We are starting to see the really key players around the league rebelling at the "make you play out your rookie contract and see if you get hurt before we pay you" concept. Eagles and Rams are apparently among the teams that don't want to play hardball and generate a ton of animosity from their best players. Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Houston are obviously representing the opposite end of the spectrum. Hard to say how things will play out in the long run.

14. Light Cleric

So when you combine it with the contract he's currently on it it's 6 years/$161 mil which averages out to $26.8 mil a year. That's actually not awful when you look at, say, Russell Wilson's extension making his total contract like 5 years/$165 mil ($33 mil/year) but like Serutan said, this is a LOT of money for a guy who is on a super short leash. Last year's WYTS (the only reason to read Deadspin tbh) put it best when they joked "Bethany Hamilton could throw for 300 yards in this offense". I can't really call this a mistake because quarterback deals have gotten absolutely bonkers so who the hell knows.

Funny how this really puts the Cowboys in a corner. I like Dak but I sure as hell don't >$25/mil a year like him.

All this is gonna be dwarfed by our lord and savior Taysom Hill signing a 5 year/$800 mil deal to play all 12 positions at once seriously though Drew is retiring soon mom come pick me up i'm scared

15. Serutan

Speaking of which, Zeke has signed a 6 year, $90M extension, $50M guaranteed. Looks like Jerry is pining for the days of chronic cap strangulation 'cuz once Dak and Cooper are signed that's exactly where they'll be in a couple of years.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

They are spreading them all over a lot of years to minimize the salary cap hits. They can't eliminate it but they can make it hurt less.

17. Light Cleric

Honestly if I'm Dallas I'm not in any hurry to extend him. I was a big fan of him as a rookie and I liked what he showed after they got Amari but he really needs to show what he's made of now that Linehan isn't around to hold the offense back. If you're signing all those big contracts you better make sure the biggest one of them isn't for a good-but-not-great player.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

But if you fear he will prove to be better that average and have to pay him more it could scare you into rushing into it.

19. Serutan

20. Serutan

Yeah, but now they've got a lot of contracts - don't forget the O-line, Smith and Lawrence deals - and while any one of them isn't so bad, the cumulative effect very well could be.

As to Dak, he's the one who's in no hurry because the QB market keeps getting ratcheted up (See Goff, Jared) and the longer he waits the
    more the 'Boys are going to have to pay him even if it isn't a market setting deal. Ditto Cooper.