1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I'm just saying Jim Tomsula is already on their staff...

I don't think Gruden was a very good coach but he wasn't a bad guy and that franchise is such a dumpster fire I don't think he can possibly be judged fairly

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

The report I saw said they named Callahan as interim.

@tim - That certainly applies to any assistant who is considered to be a good candidate, and even to the recycle guys.
    But they'll find some obscure assistant with no HC prospects who'll take the brass check.

Last week Max Kellerman said he hopes Snyder lives a long time because as a Giants fan he knows he
    (and any other NFC East fan for that matter) has nothing to worry about from that team until Snyder dies.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

They were a solid playoff bound team last year until Alex Smith got hurt. Not saying they’re Super Bowl contenders, but the potential to be better than a joke is definitely there.

If the new (non interim) head coach is good, they could actually be pretty legit. Helps even more that they’re almost guaranteed to have good draft picks at this point.

Another problem is Alex Smith eating cap space, but after next year that won’t be an issue. And who knows? He might even come back next year.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. caketastydelish

5. caketastydelish

This is what happens when you give an offensive genius/mastermind head coach a full extra week to prepare for a specific opponent, a fairly talented roster to work with, and home field advantage.

6. caketastydelish

Nick Bosa is an untamed animal. :ar15:

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Aaaaaaand it's the entirely different thing. Still no clue how good the 49ers really are...but four wins is four wins and a great start.

8. caketastydelish

They are the only undefeated team in the NFC and one of only two undefeated teams in the league. Tonight, they are absolutely humiliating by far their best opponent this year. They are for real.

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

While it's better to be 4-0 than not, having the Browns be your best opponent sets the bar pretty low.
    They are looking good though. Hope Kyle isn't hurt that bad.

10. caketastydelish

Shanahan was coaching a team that was 28-3 before and managed to mess that up. I think he learned from that experience and won’t repeat it, though.

Surely they won’t be all pass happy, and snapping the ball with lots of time on the clock left, for example.

edit: I don’t think that challenge was a good idea... they still have 8 yards to go IIRC and it’s third down. Also when you’re down much, you’ll need all the time you can get to have any chance of catching up. Wasting your timeouts is not a good idea.

11. caketastydelish

Looks like he learned his lesson from last time. Not saying the Browns would have come back regardless, but he adjusted his play calling accordingly.

Now I wonder if the Browns will take out that frustration on the Seahawks, or whether the Browns are now devastated, lost and confused for the immediate future. This kind of loss can definitely affect the mentality of a team, but not always in the same direction. Meanwhile Schotty has an entire game worth of tape on what clearly works against the Browns, so I suppose that’s an advantage.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  12. Timsup2nothin

Quote of the day.

:lol:

13. Serutan

That was a great article. ESPN and CBS are both reporting that Voldemort is after Mike Tomlin. It would be hilarious if Tomlin handed a list - with Allen's name at the head - of people for Snyder to fire before he signed anything.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'll take it. I don't mind enduring ridicule or having no coaching future in the NFL for that kind of money. I can probably manage to attain a similar record as they have right now too.

If you meant respectable coaches that might give a team under competent management a chance to win, then you might be right. I wonder if Snyder will even try for one of those before seeking out a puppet though.

caketastydelish likes this.
  15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Tomlin would be jumping off the Titanic onto the Hindenburg.

16. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

It'd be way better if he gave Snyder that list and Snyder's name was at the top

17. caketastydelish

Something I just noticed: Colts and Browns (two talented teams) have the most cap space in the league. What will they do with it?

edit: in other (unrelated) news, Sam Darnold is back and cleared to play.

I don't think will be enough to make them the Cowboys, but hopefully he can at least keep it interesting.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  18. Serutan

And I'm sure he's smart enough to know that. But like Andy Reid in his last years in Philly, a change of scenery might be good for him.

LC - Yup. Won't happen but would be funny.

19. Timsup2nothin

Like Andy Reid when he finally left Philly, if Tomlin leaves Pittsburgh he will have first right of refusal on every open coaching job in the league (and there's ALWAYS going to be at least four or five), and there will be at least a couple owner/GM brain trusts saying "wellllll, we don't really want to fire our coach, but, if Tomlin wants the job we could open it up for him..." With those options the chances of him saying "I'm gonna take my talents to....Washington!!!" are slim and zero.

caketastydelish likes this.
  20. caketastydelish

If what you say is true, the Cleveland Browns are the most likely destination. The talent on the roster is already there, they even have a bunch of cap space left, they just have a bad coach.