1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Nahhh. First year coach providing far and away the best performance the Browns have put on the board in a couple decades...he gets at least another year almost no matter what they do from here on out.

Interesting opportunity for speculation though.

Teams that might fire their coach if they have an unexpectedly bad season. Keep that "IF" in mind. These might also be teams that are currently doing at least moderately well, and might even be getting heavy early hype. They may just as easily go on a spree, get a high seed in the playoffs, and run the table. But they are teams that I think, if they hit an unexpected reef, might consider blaming the designated scapegoat...errrr...head coach, and running them out of town.

In no particular order.

Dallas Cowboys. Jerry's kids are running more of the show, but they know that pops will totally mortgage the future of the franchise to squeeze out one more championship before he really turns over the reins. Jerry is running out of time, and the kids are running out of patience. ANY step backwards by Jason Garrett is a step out the door.

Chicago Bears. A notoriously impatient franchise that hired offensive genius Matt Nagy to mentor high draft pick quarterback so the pick wouldn't turn into another wasted bust. Team is still being carried by the defense, franchise identity still begins and ends on the defensive side of the ball, and Nagy is the most likely candidate to draw the ire of Bears fans if it all goes sideways.

LA Chargers. A talented group of sad sacks who always find a way to lose, with an owner who needs a lot of splash to try to overcome the error of moving the franchise to a city where they are in fact hated. Three years is about as long as that can last, unless tremendous results arrive to save the day.

Add to that the usual cast of losers turning over coaches and Tomlin would have plenty of options, IF the Rooney's completely abandon "the Steeler way" and let him go.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

The Browns are putting good numbers because of the sheer talent on the roster, not the coach. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize this.

edit: but from your list I’d say the Chargers are the most realistic.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. Timsup2nothin

It doesn't even take an ounce to recognize that firings after a single year are extremely rare.

4. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

If Hue Jackson got to stick around after 0-16 there is no way in hell Freddie Kitchens gets axed after 1 year

5. caketastydelish

Fair enough.

6. caketastydelish

What a thriller of a game this has been thus far. :eek:

7. Timsup2nothin

Meh. "Closer than anyone expected, they are only down seven" does not really provide a whole lot of "the outcome here is really in doubt" drama.

8. caketastydelish

It was at the time I made the comment/post though.

9. Timsup2nothin

Huh. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't recognize the time there. Yeah, it wasn't the whistle to whistle blow out that was to be expected, but the Cheatriots, even the way they are sleepwalking through, are going to just grind the Giants into dust.

10. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

If memory serves, Hue's predecessor was 1 and done.

11. Timsup2nothin

Memory serves well enough...it was Hue's predecessor's predecessor. Still a pretty rare event though and not likely to be repeated at this point, just based on that basic rarity.

Meanwhile, two interesting situations developing...related but not really similar, like opposite sides of a coin.

In New Orleans Drew Brees injury has given Teddy Bridgewater the opportunity to remind people that he was at one point not only a promising potential starting caliber quarterback, he was on track to be a superstar face of the franchise level quarterback. His injury was terrible, and sidetracked his career very badly (mostly because the Vikings were run by idiots) but he is going to get a whole lot more than backup QB money next season...somewhere. Is there any way that the Saints can benefit from this reality?

In Carolina, the threat presented by a guy who can throw the ball accurately, even if maybe without the heroic zip of a Cam Newton, is unleashing the McCaffery beast. Can't stack the box and leave receivers "slightly open but too tight a window for Newton to hit" any more. This revelation comes on the wings of Newton being injured, but with the added realization that even when he was healthy accuracy wasn't exactly the key feature in his tool kit. It seems unlikely that the Panthers will want to pay 21 million next season for a guy who, honestly, doesn't fit their team as well as the half million dollar backup that has taken his place. Is there any way they can benefit from this, or do they just cut him and eat the meager two million in dead money that will cost them?

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I think Bridgewater cashes in ala Garropolo.

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

A co-worker came up to me and said that the bears were trying to get ELI. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Probably no substance to it but still it was enough to ruin my day.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  14. caketastydelish

I think Eli is better than any QB they currently have (especially healthy ones).

Teddy will be a starter somewhere... the Saints get no benefit for it next year. But for this year, they have the benefit of a thoroughly solid backup QB. It allows them to have a winning games for a better season record, thus keeping them in the playoff contention. A subpar backup QB wouldn't necessarily be winning these games. If the Saints win the Super Bowl (or even have a deep playoff run), it will be in no small part thanks to Teddy Bridgewater. Kind of reminds me of how the Eagles were still legit with Nick Foles.

15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

So what.
    We want the franchise to move forward not backward. Eli is not the future. If Trub is not the answer we need to find out now and if so, move on.

16. caketastydelish

Eli is too old to be a long term solution regardless. You won’t have a first round pick to get a QB next draft and whoever is available in free agency won’t necessarily be any better. The Broncos only had Eli’s brother for a few years and they got a Super Bowl out of it. Also worth noting that he won that Super Bowl with a defense similarly capable to what Chicago has now. Plus the NFL loves feel-good stories and could try to make it happen, as they’ve previously demonstrated.

17. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Eli is done, sorry. I would have defended him a couple years ago but the Giants have done everything they can to prop him up and he still sucks.

Agreed. I would love to keep him, but unless Drew retires this year (and if we won the Super Bowl I could see him doing that) we can't possibly afford to do so. We already extended Michael Thomas but - for a change - we have a lot of young talented players and they're going to get sizeable contracts in the next few years (Bell, Lattimore, Peat, Rankins, and of course Kamara is going to get a MONSTER deal) that even with the fifth year option on players that have one we're already not going to be able to keep all of them, and paying big money to a second QB for even one year would be brutal. Some QB needy team is going to throw a ton of money at Teddy and I wouldn't blame him in the least for taking it.

18. Timsup2nothin

I find it difficult to see those two names in the same sentence.

19. caketastydelish

Why? Jimmy G has actually been playing pretty well this year. Football outsiders even has him above Brdigewater for the year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2019

edit: and I assume you mean it in that way because I've never seen you giving him credit where it's due.

20. Timsup2nothin

When he cashed in for that gigantic contract he wasn't "due" jack. He's been getting 20 million a year for two years and STILL doesn't have the resume Bridgewater has.