1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes quite questionable. His hand was up inside the shoulder pad though and the lineman sold it by tipping his head back. I've seen worse calls. As long as they don't decide that these call should be able to be challenged too. Sometimes it's nice to be at home. And don't get me wrong, I'm a bears fan who would have loved to see them go DOWN.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

There were several calls all of which I can name that went out specifically against the Lions. That was the second bs face mask penalty against Trey Flowers:

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The same wrong call twice in one game is certainly an oddity. And usually it's pretty easy to say that the bad calls balance out, but last night there was a very strong tilt in favor of the Packers. That said, five field goals is not a strong recipe for winning.

4. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

JFC the Lions get robbed more than any other franchise in sports

I swear there's one game EVERY YEAR they get screwed.The Cowboys playoff game, the Seahawks illegally kicking a fumble out the end zone, the 10 second runoff vs Atlanta where it should have been 11 seconds to start with, like wtf

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The catch the ball, drop to a knee, put the ball down forcefully in the end zone...oh, it hit the ground before you completed the catch, no touchdown call.

6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

To quote Edna Mode... "Luck favors the prepared."

When you're a perennially crap team it's going to seem like the refs' calls are always against you, the luck of the draw is always against you, you never get the coin flips in your favor, the wind never blows your way, your guy always slips at the critical moment, the sun is always in your eyes, etc., on and on and on...

But the reality is... you just suck, and because you suck you lose. Git gud and stop complaining about the refs... losers. :p

rah likes this.
  7. Light Cleric

I didn't include the Megatron one because I couldn't remember if that was the refs being bad or the written rule being stupid but yeah throw that one in there too

This is way different than any of that, though.

It's not "man we lost the opening coin flip again". this is literally doing your job right then getting penalized because someone else (the ref) did their job wrong.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Bit of both. The rule was stupid, but all it took was the official recognizing "completed catch" and making the appropriate, if not absolutely technically correct, call...which no one would have disputed. Maybe there was a need to point out the bad rule and an example had to be made...but notice it certainly wasn't going to be Wes Welker or Randy Moss that was made an example of. Always a Lion, never a Cheatriot.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  9. Sommerswerd

Nah, I hear you. Teams definitely get hosed on calls, frequently, there's no denying that. My outlook tends towards the "You should've never let it be so close that the refs can take it from you" reasoning. The final score of a game includes everything that happened... or did not happen... for the whole week in practice, plus the 60 minutes of gameplay time and everything in between. We all focus on a blown call, or kick, or dropped pass, or whatever towards the end of the game, because that's the most exciting part, but its not the "deciding" factor of the game. The whole game is what decides the end result, not just one or two plays/calls.

To echo Tim's point... you're not going to FG kick your way to a Lombardi Trophy... and if you try, at some point(s) you're gonna end up saying "We was wobbed!"

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

This could be one of those "you had to be there" moments. Before the game was even close to over, while the Lions were still fairly comfortably ahead, the discussion had turned to the undeniable fact that last night was a very poor performance by the team in the stripes. Then, down the stretch, they made a second phantom hands to the face call that was like an instant replay of a call they had badly blown earlier. While I agree, obviously based on my own quoted comment, that more goes into deciding the game than one (or a couple) bad calls, there is still something that needs to be said about one of the worst game long displays of officiating I have seen in the NFL in a long time.

11. Sommerswerd

We're very near the point where the refs will merely be figureheads and all the calls will actually be made from the booth/New York using computer aided means, video recordings and instant replay etc... The refs will only be there to announce what the call is, not to actually make the call themselves.

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Brees is *much* less of a scheme liability than Goff, and should he return healthy will have better weapons than Pats. It's at least plausible they could win.

I could see the Texans upsetting the Pats too, though not particularly likely/often. But say their front 4 has a monster day so they get pressure on base coverages a lot. NE might struggle to win enough 1 on 1 matchups in time. Even the Bills were a few lucky breaks away from beating Pats earlier this year.

Pats are definitely the favorite right now though.

Arians has been pretty good as a HC overall. He even made the Cardinals franchise briefly look competent. Winston...has never been "good" since entering the NFL. So he's the more likely reason for the problems...

13. Light Cleric

So does Jalen Ramsey play o-line or am I missing something in this trade

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You might have missed something...they dealt Marcus Peters to Baltimore and Aqib Talib is on IR. I guess Ramsey is going to start at both corners?

15. caketastydelish

As a Seahawk fan, I'm thrilled. The Rams are going to absolutely screwed as far as cap space goes for the indefinite future, will lack first round picks for the next two years, and will have a bad offensive line. And Ramsey will improve the team but not THAT much so I have a feeling the Jaguars will actually get pretty decent picks over the next two years.

The only downside: Having to tolerate the annoying announcers constantly saying how appropriate it will be that Ramsey plays for the Rams.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You're just jealous because no one named Seahawksy is available.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  17. caketastydelish

We have the Griffin brothers, and my understanding is "Griffin" is the name of some type of bird, so that will suffice.

18. Light Cleric

I get they had a void to fill with Talib, but I don't understand trading away Peters. I've been told he's not been great but he's gotta be way better than whoever else they could run out there. I also think TWO firsts and a 4th is a gross overpay for a guy who is only under contract one more year and will be due a HUGE extension if you decide to keep him.

But the part I really don't get is this doesn't address the offensive line which has been mediocre at best this year. I don't think it's a coincidence that Goff is tied for the 2nd most turnovers among QBs this season. I don't care how good your defense is, the Super Bowl showed us you can't win if your offense can't get past midfield.

19. Sommerswerd

IT'S HAMMER TIME! *roar*

caketastydelish likes this.
  20. caketastydelish

The 49ers defensive line is absolutely stacked, and the Seahawks are a defense first team so it’s only a matter of time before they have a solid d-line (again) and even the Cardinals is decent. Why they continue to neglect their o-line in spite of all of this is beyond me.