1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

It might be the similar to why the Seahawks for years didn't seem too concerned with picking up top talent for their offensive line. They were thinking that Marshawn Lynch negated the need for top linemen and Russell Wilson could just use his legs to deal with penetration so they could save a ton of cap room just letting Wilson run for his life and Lynch run people over.

I think maybe the Rams are thinking Gurley can make up for more weak players on the offensive line.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Surely A.J. Hawk must have some relatives? Seattle can probably make this happen if it tries.

The quote from when flying machines die still amazes me.

Yeah it's odd. I thought Rams management was good considering its roster the past few years, but after seeing this maybe they just got lucky in that stretch.

I did want the Eagles to trade for Ramsey, but if that was the asking price I suddenly understand why they didn't do it. Still, the Eagles should try to put together a secondary at some point this year.

I doubt most NFL management thinks in such simplistic terms. Money is generally tight and you have to pick how to allocate it short and long term.

If a team doesn't have a competent line it's not hard to run man coverage and send even a tiny amount of pressure to screw them over. If every Dline looks like the 2000 Ravens, or recent SB winning Seahawks/Broncos even elite QBs can't get anything done. I'm sure management knows this, but thinks they can get their line good enough with coaching or cheap moves. Sometimes they're sort of correct.

If you put 8 in box and just clog run lanes to force every OL to not just win but outright destroy defenders to get consistent yardage + generate pressure from that consistently as well it's hard for offenses to do anything at all. Even cover 3 variants would have no trouble beating most passing concepts this way; stuff like flood/sail/4 verticals takes time to develop.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    caketastydelish likes this.
  3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

Gurley is a shadow of his former self and Goff isn’t nearly as mobile as Wilson (especially younger Wilson during their championship era) so there isn’t much of an equivalence.

4. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I've made this joke before but it was like Darrell Bevell told Pete Carroll: "Russ does great when the pocket breaks down so why not just have any pocket to start with? I've got Tom Cable's number in my phone".

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. Sommerswerd

Why "amazes"? :confused: It's just a Star Wars reference right? What am I missing?
    Sure, but I doubt you have any more significant insight into how NFL management thinks than I do ;)… and I'm 99% sure you have less football coaching experience than me so... ease up on the snark TMIT.:p

My point is simply that they probably felt they had the tools to get away with focusing their resources less on the offensive line.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If you've coached at all then yes. Though I played.

Yeah fair enough. Rather, no matter what you do you're stuck with limited resources somewhere. That's the whole point of adding the salary cap. It's kind of amazing how the bad organizations can stay bad for so long despite this, but then again there's no football or even business experience requirement for being an owner...

7. Sommerswerd

I think you hit the nail on the head. To be an owner you're more likely to be good at making money than managing a football team, cause if you don't have the former you ain't getting the latter, no matter how brilliant of a football mind you have.

What I admire... and simultaneously find inexplicable, is the billionaires who love football enough to become owners, but also have the discipline to hire and let their coaches/GMs run the team without interference. If I owned a football team I think I would find it irresistible to meddle, or even take outright control.

You didn't answer the Star Wars question BTW... I'm really intrigued...

8. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

They are likely the same guys who have learned that if they hire good people and trust them to do their jobs they're way better off than
    when they micromange.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The trick, of course, being that in the case of an NFL franchise these "good people" are a whole lot harder to identify.

10. caketastydelish

... and now your franchise, superstar QB is hurt. I hope that first down was worth it.

11. Timsup2nothin

Six sacks...in a half. WTF is Denver's offensive line doing?

12. caketastydelish

That or the Chiefs defense has stepped up a notch (I'm not football knowledgeable enough to decipher the difference because I've never played or coached myself).

Either way it couldn't have happened (from the Chiefs point of view) at a better time given they're without their starting Quarterback and will be for the duration of the game.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  13. Timsup2nothin

Six sacks in a half isn't an either/or on is it good D-line or crap O-line. Six sacks in a half takes both. A lot of both.

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

I guess the incredibly lame fake punt failure is being counted as a sack, so the offense has only given up five.

15. caketastydelish

Should it not count, though? There's always a legitimate possibility the play could have worked (hence why they tried it in the first place), but the defense correctly read them. That in and of itself takes talent/skill and is a testament to their ability.

16. caketastydelish

How are you supposed to play defense anymore with these BS calls they're making in games this year, time and time again? Defense can't even remotely make a play without getting penalized... this is genuinely hurting football.

17. Sommerswerd

This game sucks... Denver is just laying down...

18. Timsup2nothin

Nice pass Matt Moore. Of course things are easier when you have the opportunity to just float the ball out in front of Tyrek Hill and let him run through it.

19. caketastydelish

"I'm shocked there's this many people still here at the game."

Should he have said that? :lol:

20. Timsup2nothin

Well, it was true, so there's that.

That game was just painful to watch, and I hate the Broncos. For an actual Denver fan who paid money to be in the stands I can't even imagine how bad it was.