1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Philly used to have a jail in the stadium... having gone to more Philly games than any other team I can attest that it was absolutely necessary. I'm surprised they don't still have it.

2. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

They don't have it anymore because "of a lack of perps" crowd isn't as rowdy as it used to be, supposedly. Do you agree (crowd today vs crowd of late 90s)?

And supposedly 95% of fans arrested were not from Philadelphia. I wonder if that is one of those deceiving stats. "not from Philadelphia" you start imagining them being from New York, Dallas, whatever, but really they may have been from the suburbs or some other town in pennsylania (so still likely an eagles fan).

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-Philadelphia-Eagles-stadium-really-have-its-own-jail

3. Sommerswerd

I never went to the stadium in the 90's so I can't make a comparison based on firsthand knowledge. All I know is the crowd gets pretty rowdy, fights in the stands, people throwing their beer at each other, cheering wildly and taunting/jeering when opposing team players get injured etc.,... its pretty wild.

4. Darsnan

Darsnan King

Meanwhile down in the basement of the AFC East the Jets fan payed off our bet in silver this time. He seemed more put out than usual:
    Jets losses.png

While I'm happy the Dolphins avoided the ignominy of going 0-16, that win may cost the Dolphins big time next Spring, as the draft order currently has the Dolphins now behind two teams likely to pick QBs next Spring (Cincy and Washington). Could come down to the December 3rd game between Cincy and Miami for the #1 overall pick next Spring.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

In this case, the drunks were not causing problems - they were simply out shirtless in -15F temperatures with a -59F wind chill.
    Hence the probability of a hospital stay.

6. Sommerswerd

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  7. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Was there ever a doubt?

8. Sommerswerd

Apparently there was as the Chargers were favored to win, albeit by 1 point, and at least a couple folks in out pick'em league picked the Chargers to cover the spread.

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, I was one of the foolish. :lol:
    But at least in every other pickem league I'm in, I went with Oakland.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

It’s going to be a rough season for the Chargers. But I bet they’ll be right back to being a serious team next year.

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Every lose they've had this year has been by less than a single score.
    That doesn't sound like an awful team. (thinking BEARS *sigh*)

12. Sommerswerd

No, they won't:nope: As long as Rivers is QB, they will continue to crash and burn.

13. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Good lord, that was one of the ugliest series I have ever seen from a quarterback. It was vintage Tim Tebow. I'm not even a fan of the Chargers and it made me legitimately angry how bad he was.

BRO WTF I COULD PICK UP THIS FIRST DOWN AND I CAN BARELY THROW A SPIRAL LIKE TEN YARDS

NO ONE GETS OPEN LIKE THAT IN THE NFL

BUT NO LET'S CHUCK IT DOWNFIELD AND OVERTHROW THE RECEIVER BY FIVE YARDS

14. caketastydelish

Yes he had a bad day but has been solid overall throughout his career. He isn’t the problem.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

It doesn't sound like an awful team, but it sounds so very very Chargers.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, it does.
    Well they're reporting that Stafford won't be starting today so maybe the Bears won't have the worst QB on the field today.

17. caketastydelish

Without having watched the Lions closely, it seems they also meet the description of "talented team that barely loses a lot of games".

edit: Although, at least the Lions will have a first round pick next year, lol. Nor do they need a new starting quarterback.

18. Timsup2nothin

There's a difference. The Chargers are the most creative team in existence when it comes to finding a way to lose. The Lions are more the "came up short on a late comeback and made a close loss out of a game they were really out of" type. The Chargers are the "made a late drive to the goal line and had two scoring plays reversed" type...which is so weird that it isn't a "type." Or the "leading by five with forty seconds to play lining up to kick an insurance field goal from chip shot range, botched snap fumble recovered and returned eighty yards for the go ahead touchdown" type...or just about anything else you can come up with, no matter how absurd...the Chargers have probably done it. And it isn't a new, or short term, thing. All the way back in the seventies there was the holy roller...Raiders of course said "just win, baby, just win," but the fact is that only the Chargers could manage to lose like that. Sad sacks of the first freakin' order, always have been.

19. caketastydelish

Star Wars reference ?

20. Timsup2nothin

Nah. I'm old enough to remember the original Sad Sack. That's the only thing I was referencing.

caketastydelish likes this.