1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Indeed, Mason Rudolph is getting away freely, even compared to his own teammates. Privilege indeed, probably BS QB stuff in this case.

Too many people operating on emotion and ignoring the circumstances of the encounter. Even in this discussion, you're posting numerous times while ignoring counterpoints inconvenient to your position (relative actual danger of helmet swing compared to punches, 3v1 scenario, the fact that Garrett actually *was* walking away, instigation by Rudolph, sustained aggression from Rudolph).

You were even willing to lie about preceding circumstances:

That's not even kind of close to true, directly refuted by video evidence. Just as evidence shows Garrett backing off and Rudolph running after him prior to the "assault". While the risk is debatable, I'd have not felt bad for Rudolph even if he did get injured significantly. As I said earlier, if he doesn't like the consequences of fights he shouldn't start them.

~~~

There are NFL players, even outside the Browns organization, who looked at this situation objectively rather than seeing a helmet swing and making a knee jerk response. It doesn't help that ESPN/other outlets are conveniently not showing images of Rudolph grabbing Garrett's helmet, even though they're happy to show the reverse in a "gallery of the fight". Good way to lose respect.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  2. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Wow just wow ok you're just a horrible person that willingly expresses the desire to see people injured I'm done with you. This is the average NFL fan people lol.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

That's not a fair representation of what @TheMeInTeam said. He said:
    That's not remotely close to "willingly expressing the desire to see people injured". As TMIT has already pointed out, you're distorting the facts to serve your desired narrative, which seems to be that you're right, there's no other way or perspective to see/interpret the event and someone who disagrees is a bad person.

4. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

It's perfectly reasonable based on what kind of person he's presented himself. I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone say Cake but not him.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'm not lying or putting words into your mouth in an attempt to make a point, and I would appreciate if you similarly avoided those things. Claiming I "express the desire to see people injured" is blatantly false.

"You're a horrible person" is not an effective way to argue a point. It's not even a competent way. Making up false intentions and going for ad hominem demonstrates a lack of coherent rationale, not argumentative strength.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Actually, it's pretty effective in the right circumstances.

See, "debates" don't actually take place in front of a panel of qualified debate judges once you are past the middle school debate team. They take place among what we can call "the audience," with routine audience participation. If someone has routinely impressed the audience members that they are a horrible person then an "ad hominem attack" reminds the audience that the person you are currently squared off against has made such a demonstration in the past, which can easily tilt the field in your favor and bring in more participants on your side.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

I think it would be for the best if we all stopped discussing this.

8. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I think we can all come together to agree Larry Ogunjobi is a word i can't say here

Sommerswerd likes this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Seems fair.

Also seems fair that Rudolph is at least getting fined an undisclosed amount for his part.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  10. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

after what I've seen of mason the real punishment is continuing to make him play

11. Timsup2nothin

Going into last night the Steelers had a winning record and the inside track on a wild card spot. I'm thinkin' they are pretty happy with him playing.

12. caketastydelish

While this is true, I think their winning those games has more to do with what they have on the other side of the ball than Mason Rudolph and friends.

13. Timsup2nothin

While that's likely true, the least you can say for MR and friends is that they aren't a heavier weight than the defense can bear. And given the catastrophe this season was looking like it was going to be that's saying quite a lot.

14. caketastydelish

Fair enough. Should be interesting to see how good they'll be next season when Big Ben comes back (no I don't think he's done).

15. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Ben will get one more chance for sure but if he comes out of the gate looking like he did early last year he'll be done mid-season. Rodgers looks pretty rejuvenated this year though so maybe Ben could pull it off too.

16. Timsup2nothin

Rodgers has two years on Roethlisberger, and despite the fact that both of them have had injuries I think Roethlisberger has taken a lot more hits over the years. Rodgers is more the "elude the rush to extend the play" sort, where Ben has always been the "you may be draped all over me but I can still throw" type. I don't really expect him to be doing the work required to get that old battered body back into playing shape.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  17. Timsup2nothin

I went into the weekend thinking that the Ravens and Texans might be a great game to watch. Got up this morning and was really excited when I saw that it was indeed the televised game. At five minutes to game time I started a massive download thinking that I would settle in and watch the game while it ran, so all good.

But #$@%, I cannot stomach Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. I mean, CBS, I ^%&$#%$# HATE you.

18. caketastydelish

While I haven't seen any of that game, judging by the scoreboard, here is my gut instinct:

This is what happens when the Texans play a good team (particularly a high powered offense) when they don't have Clowney OR Watt anymore. Does lack of pass rush explain the score board? If someone is watching the game, can they answer that?

19. Timsup2nothin

I've looked in a few times, but not enough to be absolutely sure. First guess though I think the 250 yards (and climbing fast) rushing is the real problem.

20. Timsup2nothin

Okay, I said I'd be getting around to this. I also pointed this out as it was happening:

And sure enough, today the talking heads are blabbing about "a hundred yards worth of dropped passes" as if the San Fail "speed bump" was certainly not a revelation of their glaring weakness. Stack it up, stop the run, dare Jimmy G to beat you and he can't.

Sommerswerd likes this.