1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

I think there's more to it than that.

1) While I haven't watched the entire game thus far, based on what I've seen, he hasn't been THAT bad at moving the chains.

2) He is doing this without Kittle, his by far favorite target.

There is more to defeating the 49ers than "dare Jimmy G to beat you". I think it's also worth noting that the Seahawks and Cardinals both have mobile quarterbacks who are good at avoiding sacks. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

That's certainly useful on the other side of the ball.

3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

The next three weeks should put that question to bed one way or another.

4. Timsup2nothin

I think it would be hilarious if the 49ers went oh for six down the stretch, myself. Plus it would help us all catch up with @Sommerswerd in pickem.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. caketastydelish

I don't think they will, especially when/if they get Kittle back.

6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

This is certainly possible because of who they are facing... at least they managed to get the ir act together late and get by the Cards... :whew: jeez that would have been embarrassing.

At this point my guys are at least guaranteed to finish over .500 which, given last season, I choose to be happy about.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I admit this is part of the reason I used "Browns defender". I had been using last names throughout the posts and forgot how to spell, and pronounce his. Had the circumstances been different I might have been more respectful to look it up...who am I kidding...was just being lazy.

The Texans *are* a good team. They're not a top team, while the Ravens are playing the best football in the AFC right now and are among the league's best overall.

Colts losing their QB a few weeks and dropping games is probably still enough for the Texans to take the division, but we'll see.

8. Timsup2nothin

Before the season there was a lot of talk about the "quarterback age cliff." Obviously Brady and Brees were hot topics. Eli was sort of relegated to "sure thing" status based on last year and of course did take the big dive. Despite being Eli's contemporary there was less talk about Roethlisberger, but now the season ending injury has put the spotlight square on him.

But I don't recall much, if any, discussion about Philip Rivers, and that dude has done a sprinting approach full cannonball. He looks like he can't even throw.

9. caketastydelish

I didn't even get an opportunity to see that game but judging from the stats, what you said is very believable.

10. Timsup2nothin

I know the stats are terrible, but he actually looks worse. He is throwing rainbows to the running back in the flat, which is gonna get a running back killed while they stand around waiting for the ball. When he tries to zip it it occasionally works, but it's totally random; that ball could go freakin' anywhere. Everything downfield is a rainbow, and trying to put that range on a rainbow is like trying to zip a short pass...it could go anywhere.

I've never been a fan, and have always been willing to point out his poor decision making, but I never denied that he had arm talent. Now he just has a noodle attached to his shoulder to go with the one in his helmet that he has frequently not used. He's a joke, and a bad one. Time to hang 'em up. Actually, passed time.

11. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Well, I think the "Tank for Tua" bandwagon has suffered a permanent breakdown. I saw 6-12 month recovery from the
    surgery - which is his 4th overall. Really feel bad for him. Of course the Perversity Theorem of the Universe dictates Darth Hoodie will snarf him in the 2nd round now...

12. Sommerswerd

Brady's got 3 more years. He said so, and I believe him, because I am 100% certain that he used some unholy witchcraft to secure his inexplicable longevity and I'm thinking that the spell had a specific expiration date which he is completely aware of.

Speaking of voodoo spells... Rivers has been an almost comical and simultaneously tragic figure in the sense that he and Eli seem to have gone to the same witch doctor... where they were offered a choice... on the one hand you can have mythical 4th quarter prowess... and nothing else, while on the other hand you can have hall-of-fame level ability in quarters 1 through 3, only. Eli apparently snatched the 4th quarter totem without thinking about it and happily trotted out of the hut... while Rivers smiled thinking how much better his stats would be with 3 quarters of great play compared to the 1 quarter Eli got. :smug:

Since you mentioned Big Ben... I wonder if you have any guess on whether anyone from the AFC North snags a wildcard. The Bengals are statistically eliminated obviously, but looking at their remaining schedules, it looks like the Browns and Steelers are both poised to finish 9-7 and/or 8-8, with the remaining game they play against each other being the deciding factor. However, I don't know that it will be good enough for a wildcard bid, given the Bills and Raiders trajectories.

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Due to a bye week I was forced to start Rivers last night and I needed a great performance out of him.
    This morning I was checking the waiver wire. :lol:

14. Sommerswerd

Kaepernick's available :mischief:

Seriously though... based on what I've seen and heard regarding the Chargers' fanbase... or lack thereof... Ol' Kap'n Nick might be just the tonic for what ails the franchise. An exciting sizzle player with a lot of controversy around him to sell jerseys and put some butts in the seats.

caketastydelish likes this.
  15. Timsup2nothin

The Chargers have no problem putting butts in the seats. For one thing, they just don't have that many seats. But for another, In LA there are more than enough fans of any team that comes visiting to sell out a stadium. There is a bar in the LA area where every Sunday they pack in hundreds of people in full on Dawg Pound Browns regalia...and that was not interrupted when the Browns went o-fer on the year.

caketastydelish likes this.
  16. caketastydelish

What about when they get a much larger stadium though? Even the Rams have some fans in LA.

17. Timsup2nothin

The Rams actually have plenty of fans in LA. They may or may not be willing to outbid the fans of visiting teams for tickets, but they are out here. The Chargers, on the other hand, I think aree getting every Charger fan in town into the stadium already, but at last count there were about a dozen.

18. Sommerswerd

The Falcons have started kicking butt all of a sudden :think:, so maybe there is something to this...

19. caketastydelish

I doubt it. Matt Ryan is legit. There arguments that he is "elite" (personally I don't think so) but he is far from needing a replacement.

Edit: and about the Eagles. Their loss to the Patriots wasn't a surprise to me at all (I picked the Pats to win after all). As for the Seahawks game goes, we are talking about a team with a perfect road record this season that just had an extra week to rest/repair. I'm not saying the Seahawks are absolutely guaranteed to win that game, but if I'm an Eagles fan, I'm not comfortable.

20. Timsup2nothin

I'm comfortable enough because I watched the Cowboys and the Lions. Whether the Eagles beat the Seahawks or not, the Cowboys aren't going to run away with the division.

As to the other...whatever was ailing the Falcons, replacing Matt Ryan isn't part of the cure.