1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

It’s almost better for the Chargers as much as it is the Broncos that the Broncos win.

Broncos winning is good because it creates confidence in what very well might be their next franchise QB. Chargers losing is good (for them) because Phillip Rivers is toast and now it’s easier for them to get Tua or whoever they want.

edit: one more thing: as someone who actually watched (most of) that game i can tell you that while Lock made mistake any rookie would make (especially on their debut) he has a cannon of an arm, a quick release, and reasonably good with his legs. The potential is out the roof.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. caketastydelish

I didn’t think the Texans had a chance against the Pats, especially without Watt. Boy am I glad I was wrong.

The Ravens not only won a very challenging game that easily could have gone either way, but now they have the #1 seed in the AFC. I can only imagine how happy they are.

Honestly I’m beginning to come around to Tim’s opinion that the Pats have declined. They barely beat the Cowboys IN New England, and the only reason why they won is because the refs helped them out on two different calls (the league themselves even admitted it after the game).

Meanwhile, I also now take the possibility that the Bills could outright win the division pretty seriously. The Chiefs are the Chiefs, the Bills have vastly improved, and it very well may be that even the Bengals and Dolphins have cleaned up their act just enough to the point where they’re no longer jokes.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Me, I think he's a backup. Have a hard time thinking a team would think he's a starter either based on
    both performance and injury history. But I wouldn't rule it out as he might be cheap enough for the Bears to squeeze in.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Cheatriots may or may not win the division, but against the caliber of competition they will be seeing in the playoffs they haven't looked too good. Ravens and Texans both spanked them pretty soundly.

5. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

It's absolutely bonkers to me that the Steelers still have a wild card spot after all the crap they've gone through. No AB, no Le'veon, no Ben, no Ryan Shazier or Stephon Tuitt, they're on like their 12-string QB, no Juju the last two weeks, no James Conner this week, yet they're 7-5. If they make the playoffs I think he should probably get COTY. I used to think he was a little overrated but between this year and the revelation that he managed to keep AB under control for so long really speaks a lot to his ability.

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  6. Timsup2nothin

I think he is a solid candidate, but I'm someone who has often been accused of overrating Tomlin.

7. caketastydelish

They have been building a defense the past several years and it's finally starting to pay off. With a competent QB and just a little bit more firepower to the offense (while retaining the defense), that's a championship-contending team.

8. caketastydelish

Lol just gonna leave this here:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-brady-frustrations-wide-receivers-texans.amp

Is the talent surrounding Brady really THAT bad? They have a sturdy offensive line, solid depth for running backs, and a set of wide receivers that I think are about league average. No it’s not one of the most talented teams he’s had to work with by any means, but there’s no way he isn’t at least part of the problem himself. The game wasn’t even close when you consider their last touchdown came in garbage time and only because the Texans D played too soft as a result.

The once dominant Texans d-line is down both Clowney AND Watt this season, and they had little problem making Brady look pretty bad. If the Patriots actually have to face teams with a particularly good defense in the playoffs, things don’t look good for them. If they somehow make it to the Super Bowl and they face the 49ers defensive line, they might as well forfeit the game.

9. Timsup2nothin

The line held up okay for a reasonable time frame, it's the receivers that are the primary problem. And Cheatin' Tom being borderline decrepit, no question about that. But back at the receivers....

The Texans doubled Edelman pretty much every

single

play

And no one else got open against single coverage, pretty much ever. Only late in the game when the Texans shifted to playing a loose zone did anyone even get out of arms reach of a defender. Those guys are nowhere even bordering on league average. As a three guy out of the slot Edelman is a major threat. As a two guy and focal point of the defense he's not even a blip on the radar. Sunu was a decent two when he was paired with a really strong number one guy who took the defense's best corner and still got looks from the safeties. Last night he was against a number one corner and disappeared. The Cheatriot's three and four guys couldn't make the team on a lot of teams and the Texans have quality depth so their three and four just ate those fools up. With Gronk gone Cheatriots tight ends aren't any kind of a matchup problem. Just about any safety, and even a lot of linebackers, can cover them one on one.

Maybe not every team has the personnel in the secondary to follow that blueprint, since a lot of teams have shifted to relying on pass rush rather than coverage, but the Texans aren't the only ones and the Cheatriots have certainly been exposed.

Their own lack of secondary depth has also been exposed, but I don't know how many teams are equipped to take advantage of that either. Gilmore is great, although I think the "league's best corner" is more hype than reality. He was definitely needing help trying to handle Hopkins. And when Gilmore got help that left McCourty on his own and Fuller just demolished him. And their number three guy was totally outmatched by Kenny Stills. So a team with depth at receiver who can push the two and three, and has a number one who can force Gilmore to need help...hey, look, here come the Kansas City Chiefs! They might be righting the ship later, but for now I think they are in trouble.

10. caketastydelish

They have Edelman, Sanu, and a rookie first round pick as their trio of wide receivers. Is it THAT bad?

edit: I stand corrected. After looking at the performance (or lack thereof) from Harry, it really is THAT bad.

It’s not like Belichick of all people to blow a first round pick (even if it’s at the bottom of the first round) which is why it caught me off guard. Especially when there several WRs drafted after him who doing a considerably good job.

And I did watch the second half of the game. I just don’t pay close attention to Jersey numbers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:36 PM
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

This is the rock upon which the Brady dynasty was built... get a Wes Welker-like guy, scrappy, quick, small, elusive and sure-handed to be your number 3 option, behind an absolute beast as the number 1 option who MUST be double teamed, and a solid number 2 option that demands one of your best D-backs to cover... do that and the #3 guy becomes basically uncoverable and a reliable receiver on every 3rd and mid/long situation. Combine that with various forms of disguised max-protection and Brady can just sit back there and wait for the inevitable.

Without that Moss, Gronk (or Antonio Brown)esque guy, that key formula breaks down and the whole offense sputters.

12. caketastydelish

It’s such a shame (from their point of view) that Antonio Brown just had to be a drama queen/rapist. He could have been their savior.

13. Timsup2nothin

Notice that Edelman, Sanu, and a rookie first round pick are, at best, a trio of twos. Each one of them is outmatched, severely, by any number one corner in the league. And they aren't really strong twos, so you get one of them totally blanketed by a number one corner, and the second one is mostly handled by the two corner. That leaves the third one to maybe have a little advantage over a safety/third corner, but since the first two are no threat between them that guy is drawing all the safety help. It isn't that their first round pick is that bad, it's just that no one is putting any real stress on the defense because they are overmatched across the board.

14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

My hot-take on that is Antonio was selling that trainer (and who knows who else) a line that they were his true love and that they were going to have a more permanent relationship... then when he got traded to the Pats he basically said "Pffft, get lost, you knew what this was... No I'm not taking you with me to Boston." So the trainer was jilted and set out to get a payday as revenge, Brown foolishly refused to pay, and here we are.

But "drama-queen"? Sure he's earned that one 100%. I'd actually love to see him and O'Dell on the same team for the sheer spectacle of it... I am morbidly curious whether their two competing drama-queen powers would combine into a supermassive black hole of diva-ness and tear a hole in the space time continuum... or smash into each other, and implode into singularity, cancelling each other out in a wisp of smoke :think:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    rah likes this.
  15. Timsup2nothin

No doubt. Take the number one corner and still draw safety help and leave Suno man up on the number two corner? That's a winner. Edelman out of the slot against a three corner? With no help at all? Death sentence for the defense. So the whole secondary has to back off and the underneath beaters are always going to be there and no pass rush will ever get to Brady no matter how strong it is.

But no true number one and the Cheatriots become very vulnerable.

caketastydelish likes this.
  16. caketastydelish

The rape allegations happened well before the Pats trade. We are talking years ago. It just hadn’t come up to the surface/publicly available until much more recently.

edit: @Sommerswerd

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 6:48 PM
  17. caketastydelish

Ok, so either Penny is getting better or they finally figured out to utilize him properly. He absolutely burned the Eagles last game and he’s doing it again against the Vikings tonight.

18. Timsup2nothin

I read this as I watch the Vikings kicking off...

19. caketastydelish

What about it ?

20. Timsup2nothin

I just thought the timing was funny. I was also sort of stunned by the scoring play, so I was mostly just rambling.