1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Well, yeah, but the five win teams are two games back and have another team between them and the current holder, so that "technically not eliminated" looks very much like a mere technicality. But one of those teams pulling a four game streak out of some dark crevice down the home stretch would certainly put themselves in the running.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Technically, sure. In practice, the Vikings are 8-4 and would need a pretty hefty choke job against the likes of Lions/Chargers for any 7 loss team to even have a chance at a WC tiebreaker.

Cowboys and to lesser extent Eagles have better odds, because one of them has to emerge from their dumpster fire of a division. As an Eagles fan I'd prefer the Eagles, even if I stand by the idea that sending an awful "division winner" to the playoffs over a good team is...arbitrary and annoying. But people like the tradition I guess.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Hey, once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Both Giants Super Bowl-winning teams against the Pats were wildcard teams IIRC. Not saying it's likely, but the possibility that the Eagles (or Cowboys) get their act together is always there.

4. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

For what it's worth DVOA really likes the Cowboys and thinks the Eagles are an above average team. If that's true they're more dangerous then most people are gonna expect in the playoffs. They could at least knock of one of the big players in the home game.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

But DVOA has no way (by Aaron's own admission) to account for coaching.

6. Timsup2nothin

My bad.
    Make that three games back with four to play...no shot.

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Apparently Jordan Veasy, one of the receivers who helped showcase Kaepernick at his workout boondoggle has been signed by the Redskins as a result of them seeing the workout.

Ouch... talk about adding insult to injury :cringe:

8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah that must really suck, but at least someone got a job out of it.

9. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

The Kapernick thing is so hard for me, on the one hand I think he isn't very good and the league kinda figured him out (2017 Kaepernick was a shell of 2014 Kaepernick) but if Mason Rudolph and Nathan Peterman - who may be the worst NFL QB I have ever witnessed in (only) 17 years of watching football - are on NFL rosters it's pretty sad that Kaepenrick isn't.

People defend it by saying "but those guys can run a normal NFL offense". Yeah, they can run it right off a cliff. I don't think it's possible for Kaepernick to be as bad some of those guys.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

But if I recall, when Kaepernick was originally "available" he was asking for a lot of money and that played into the whole thing.
    After awhile the price came down but the damage was already done. I still believe there was some collusion going on, but if the price had been right originally, someone would have taken him.

11. caketastydelish

It's almost better for the Cowboys if they lose tonight/don't make the playoffs because it makes the firing of Jason Garrett much easier. I'd consider Ron Rivera to be an upgrade, as he's done more with less. That said, it should be interesting to see what happens (supposing Garrett gets fired, which he deserves).

12. caketastydelish

Personally, I’d love for the Seahawks to sign him as our backup. For the right price (a cheap one), it would be a good move.

I doubt it will happen. That said, we have one of the best front offices in the entire league. Whether it will be good enough to make this move I’m unsure of. He’s a way better backup than anyone we currently have and of the fact the Wilson is having an MVP season Kaepernick doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell of creating starting QB controversy. We run a dual threat QB offense and Kaepernick would obviously fit our system perfectly.

13. Timsup2nothin

This combination is absolutely the only thing that makes signing Kaepernick make sense...and that makes Seattle the ONLY team that could justify signing him. Maybe Kansas City.

14. caketastydelish

I think Seattle is more likely to make it happen given we have the better front office and our regime is far more familiar with Kapernick than anyone in the AFC.

Forgot to add the obvious to this: another benefit of not making the playoffs is better draft picks. Being the "champion" of a division that is highly unlikely to get anywhere isn't that great. If they don't make the playoffs at all, that would probably get them much better picks.

15. caketastydelish

In other news: I know there’s a lot of talk amongst Bears fans that “Tribusky sucks and we need a replacement ASAP”, but based on tonight’s performance, he really isn’t giving me that impression.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Go Bears. They finally let him run.

caketastydelish likes this.
  17. caketastydelish

I’m not sure if he’s simply improved or they are finally utilizing him correctly, as you seem to be suggesting, but either way, if this is what we can expect from him from now on, the Bears absolutely don’t need a new quarterback.

18. Timsup2nothin

Well, playing Dallas every week would sure help, but yeah, I don't see a need for a new quarterback.

Any night spent watching the Cowboys getting hammered is a plus.

rah likes this.
  19. caketastydelish

Hasn’t Tribusky also been remarkably good in their past several games, not just this one? I haven’t watched those games, but it’s what the analysts have been saying.

Edit: also, statistically speaking, Dallas
    hasn’t had a bad offense this year. Not remotely.

20. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

The past several games Trib has been historically bad in the first half. (Maybe not as bad as the nov 3 game where he only had 1 passing yard at halftime, but that pretty much defined the first half of bears offense all season).
    The second half of those games he has been much better, even great at times.