2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

The players are getting paid millions of dollars while most of us work miserable **** jobs while they are superstars. Screw them if they're that entitled.

The problem is less that and more that any franchise making a home somewhere players hate to be is going to be at a measurable competitive disadvantage.

"Dolphins and London Chargers both offer 2M, where do you go"? When 99% of NFL players still pick the Dolphins despite that London Chargers increase offer 2.5M, there's a real issue with putting a team there.

Look, we all get that the Chargers are a cursed franchise anyway, but that doesn't mean we need to pile on and formalize it with an extra curse lol.

Look, we all get that the Chargers are a cursed franchise anyway, but that doesn't mean we need to pile on and formalize it with an extra curse lol.

Welllll....

We don't need to pile on, but...

I might be for it anyway. They are the Chargers.

Welllll....

We don't need to pile on, but...

I might be for it anyway. They are the Chargers.

The most challenging part is remembering they exist to do it. That's already hard, and they're not even in London yet.

If that ends up being an issue the NFL could give this London team more salary cap space to even it out. It’s a for profit business regardless so they will make it work as long as they want to.

If that ends up being an issue the NFL could give this London team more salary cap space to even it out. It’s a for profit business regardless so they will make it work as long as they want to.
If I'm the owner of another team, particularly a struggling team, like the Browns for example... I'm not agreeing to that.
The most challenging part is remembering they exist to do it. That's already hard, and they're not even in London yet.
Maybe they can rebrand to gain some goodwill... like maybe change their base color to green and build a completely wind/solar powered stadium and try to do everything the team does with a minimized carbon footprint. They could be the "Green Energy" Chargers.

Think that would catch on? Try to resist (you and @Timsup2nothin) the knee-jerk impulse to say "BUT GREEN IS ONLY FOR EAGLESSSSS!!!":mad:

There's no way in the hell that would ever get agreed to by either the players or the owners in a CBA. Frankly until we invent teleporters or vactrains or something it's just not a smart idea to have a London team.

I am unfortunately reminded of their cursed existence every Sunday...when a national game like, I dunno, Ravens/Chiefs for example, gets bumped off my local affiliate so they can present the drubbing in progress of "our" Los Angeles Chargers. London, Mars, back to San Diego, out of business entirely...I'd be happy to see the Chargers shipped anywhere.

There's no way in the hell that would ever get agreed to by either the players or the owners in a CBA. Frankly until we invent teleporters or vactrains or something it's just not a smart idea to have a London team.

What’s a CBA? In any event they could make it work so this London team isn’t OP, just enough to level the playing field.

Bringing the NFL to a whole new country/continent has the potential to be very profitable for ALL of the owners. There are plenty of people who become fans of teams not in the area they are from (I’m from Texas and a Seahawks, Sommerswerd is from New England and a 49ers fan), all of these people potentially would be willing to buy merchandise from their favorite team.

The Chargers would definitely have more fans in London than in LA and possibly anywhere in America. For those who do just want to support the local team (probably over 50%), there will be only one to choose from in an entire country! Even if a small fraction British people get into it, it wouldn’t take long for it to be a profitable franchise.

What’s a CBA? In any event they could make it work so this London team isn’t OP, just enough to level the playing field.

Bringing the NFL to a whole new country/continent has the potential to be very profitable for ALL of the owners. There are plenty of people who become fans of teams not in the area they are from (I’m from Texas and a Seahawks, Sommerswerd is from New England and a 49ers fan), all of these people potentially would be willing to buy merchandise from their favorite team.

The Chargers would definitely have more fans in London than in LA and possibly anywhere in America. For those who do just want to support the local team (probably over 50%), there will be only one to choose from in an entire country! Even if a small fraction British people get into it, it wouldn’t take long for it to be a profitable franchise.

The collective bargaining agreement, which incidentally expires after next season and might lead to a work stoppage.

Honestly, to simplify things I would give this LA team the sam number limit for the salary except use pounds instead of dollars. The cost of living is higher than, and being a London team would be a pain in the ass, you’ll be taxed more (probably) but the financial incentive is still enough to make it worthwhile. It also is a very simple, transparent solution to the problem.

Honestly, to simplify things I would give this LA team the sam number limit for the salary except use pounds instead of dollars. The cost of living is higher than, and being a London team would be a pain in the ass, you’ll be taxed more (probably) but the financial incentive is still enough to make it worthwhile. It also is a very simple, transparent solution to the problem.

So player compensation becomes subject to fluctuations in the exchange rate? That's a nonstarter.

Suggest a better alternative.

That alternative negates a potentially very profitable franchise and I don’t see that happening for a purely for profit, private entity in this capitalistic world.

That alternative negates a potentially very profitable franchise and I don’t see that happening for a purely for profit, private entity in this capitalistic world.

You need to balance "potentially profitable franchise" against "extremely profitable league," which you already have. Trying to sort out the competitive balance issues so that one owner can move their team to London instead of, say, Portland or El Paso or any other potentially profitable place in the US is a hardship for the league. Why should the other thirty-one owners put themselves through that? What's in it for them?

Moving on...do the Bucs stick with Jameis Winston? The pick six on his first pass was a genuinely awful decision, however, he is among the league leaders in touchdowns.

I'd lean towards trying to sign him for a medium money contract and give Aryans some more time to work on him.

Of course, faster than I can type a comment he chucks another interception straight into the hands of the lurk safety.

He should only be signed to a contract if it is relatively cheap.

As a side note, as someone who has watched all of the Pats/Bills game thus far, the Pats wide receivers and offense, in general, don't look bad at all. And considering what defense they're playing against, that is particularly impressive.

Medium money, relatively cheap, same same. I mean, they are not going to be able to keep him with something like a rookie contract, but they sure aren't going to pay him elite quarterback money because no one is going to do that.

I wonder what will happen to Mariota considering it’s fairly obvious that Tannehill has won the job.

You need to balance "potentially profitable franchise" against "extremely profitable league," which you already have. Trying to sort out the competitive balance issues so that one owner can move their team to London instead of, say, Portland or El Paso or any other potentially profitable place in the US is a hardship for the league. Why should the other thirty-one owners put themselves through that? What's in it for them?

Well, they did put the Chargers in LA...

Top Bottom