1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Obligatory:

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

I don’t get it. :confused:

3. Light Cleric

they both blew +20 point leads in the playoffs

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. caketastydelish

With Falcons are you referring to the Super Bowl vs Patriots? Or something else ?

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

6. Sommerswerd

I've put up the Annual Superbowl trash-talk thread... where you can come to mock and be mocked for correctly or incorrectly picking the Superbowl winner.

7. caketastydelish

Texans make Bill O’Brien their official manager. I think that’s a huge mistake, lol.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You never know, sometimes these guys are better at one job than the other to rather extreme degrees. For example Doug Pederson seems to be at least above-average as an NFL coach, and probably good outright (SB win, multiple playoff appearances including this year with awful injuries across the team). Solid but not elite play caller, very good on making the correct calls for 4th down attempts and such. This despite that he was a pretty awful QB himself.

Wade Phillips comes to mind too. Unimpressive head coach, very successful defensive coordinator who's turned multiple teams' defenses into elite units and won SB etc.

9. Light Cleric

Except he has both jobs lol, the head coach got to pick the GM and he picked himself

Insert image of Obama giving a medal to Obama

There are literally zero people who should be doing both, not even Belichick, which is why every year we hear "Look what he's done with <insert a bunch of mediocre players>" like he didn't handpick those mediocre players.

10. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

True, so long as he's still coaching they'll have problems. It would be hilarious if he hired another head coach. Won't happen, but would be absolutely amazing.

Belichick most years didn't ACTUALLY have "mediocre players". He sucks at drafting the WR position, but the Gronk + Edelman combination was better than most top 2 options on other teams, they knew better than to spend big on RB, and even now their defense is good in personnel and schematically.

In many cases Belichick picks scheme fits that tend to suck elsewhere. But their numbers with the Patriots are actually good, and that's value from a contract perspective. This also isn't special to NE, quite a few non-elite players have wildly different production depending on where they go/what system they're in. Patrick Robinson was a top-tier slot corner during Philly's SB year, in contrast to basically the entire rest of his career. Nnamdi Asomugha struggled mightily outside of Oakland (mediocre player? For many years he was NOT!). One of the legion of boom CBs became very average w/o the guys surrounding him and spent most of the rest of his career getting called for defensive holding most/nearly most each year. Sometimes play gets elevated after team switch too. Check out this year's sack leader for example. His previous years, he was one of those "mediocre players", did offensive guru Bruce Arians "pull a Belichick" and suddenly get so much from a sub-par player that he out-produced top names in the league? Maybe, but that's not the first explanation I'd guess.

11. Light Cleric

Their defense is good now, but for much of the decade their defenses have been average at best, at least by DVOA. I'm pretty sure there was a stretch where Belichick couldn't draft a DB to save his life outside of Malcolm Butler (who was a UDFA but I don't want to split hairs) and his best corners were FAs: Aqib Talib, Revis, Browner, now Gilmore. I still remember Flacco just hurling bombs to (the general direction of) Anquan Boldin and none of their DBs could cover him. Coupled with the aforementioned WR issues and that's probably why they went a decade between Super Bowl wins (yet any other fanbase would still kill to have their success which tells you how absurdly high the bar is).

12. caketastydelish

One thing I'm confused about: Why would the next GM not be up to the OWNER rather than BOB?

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Scheme fit is actually a good reason to have the GM combined with the head coach. A GM can look at a player and think "coach should be able to use this guy," and a coach can try to explain to a GM "what I need is a guy who can do this this and that," but really having the guy looking himself at the player and seeing how he fits is a plus. The problem is that a lot of times the coach/GM tries to do too much. If the HC is also the GM he better have very strong coordinators that handle all of the play calling with minimal intervention, and provide strong input to gameplanning.

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Of course, the more HC leans on coordinators the more player scheme fit needs to match their scheme rather than HC's.

15. Light Cleric

Well, their owner literally died two months ago. Beyond that, the owner basically never sticks their fingers that deep into football operations because when they do they suck at it (like Jerruh)

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I think Snyder is a much better example. Jerruh has put together some very good rosters over the years, so I think of him as one of the better meddlesome owners playing at being GM. Actually, I think he has the cajones to outright say that he is the GM, which is also respectable. Snyder clearly makes all the decisions, all of which are bad, but keeps a GM on the payroll to take the blame.

17. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Agreed. You can have whatever opinion you like about his GMing, but he does not pretend he is not the GM.

18. Sommerswerd

I think he actually holds the title of GM within the organization. So there is no pretense whatsoever.

19. Light Cleric

I always thought Snyder focused on being an awful human being outside of football (like quite literally pimping out his cheerleaders in Costa Rica seriously how did he get away with this) and left Bruce Allen to ruin the football side, which is why Allen helped smear Scot McCloughan and push him out the door as soon as they actually, you know, started winning and getting good players. I guess whatever asskissing Allen was doing wasn't enough to save him this time around, even though he should have been gone half a decade ago.

20. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

[QUOTE="Light Cleric, post: 15658885, member: 204762"I guess whatever asskissing Allen was doing wasn't enough to save him this time around, even though he should have been gone half a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

I suspect it would be more accurate to say Snyder wanted Rivera more than he wanted Allen's arse kissing.