1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I am taking careful notes on all the blathering Dallas fans as their bandwagon shifts up through the gears. Any other team in the league that tried to boast on beating the Redskins and the NY Giants, who are both contending for the "worst in the league if you don't count Miami" award, would get laughed off the map not rocketed up the power rankings. It will be great fun to read stuff back at them when they meet real competition and the wheels fall off. Current best line "Those Cowboys can sure block! They made Daron Payne look like...well, Daron Payne." By the way, who is Daron Payne?

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

I don’t really dispute this but they do have, on paper, a thoroughly solid roster.

Should be interesting to see what happens when they face legit opposition.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Their roster hasn't changed, and the question mark before the season was Dak Prescott. Now Dallas fans are talking about Dak Prescott as league MVP...because he looked good against the two softest opponents on their schedule.

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

And the one on the right has a picture under extreme security in an undisclosed location.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. Serutan

Wasn't Payne a major in the Army?

Re Dak: So far it appears he has improved on his major weakness - accuracy. I agree that the MVP talk is at best premature -
    not only because we need to see what he looks like against good defenses (Darth Hoodie amongst others are looming on that horizon) but also Mahomes looks like he's going to keep putting up pinball numbers.

6. caketastydelish

I literally live in Dallas and I haven’t heard anyone say Dak is the MVP. He had a solid supporting cast, and he can make the most of it, but no one on earth thinks that Prescott is as good as say, Mahomes.

They have decent, solid franchise QB (not elite though), a wonderful offensive line and running back, decent set of wide receivers and tight ends. A pretty sturdy defensive line, excellent set of linebackers and an ok secondary.

Overall, a strong team. On paper, they’re probably than the Eagles (no offense).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  7. Serutan

ESPN must be desperate to boost Sports Center ratings - they've brought back Berman and Jackson to do NFL highlights.
    Nostalgia will only carry it so far as Berman lost it years ago and while I like Jackson I don't think he can carry it.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't think the Redskins belong with the Giants. The Redskins are a bad team, but they're not that bad. Maybe it'll change as the season progresses.

Miami is special, apparently the worst team through 2 games according to advanced metrics. I think some of their players on the field might still be trying for now, even if their GM seems to be thinking they're done for the decade.

The Eagles are my team but their play hasn't matched up to their paper so far. If they keep playing like weeks 1-2 Dallas is going to take the division.

9. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

They had a dynasty in the 90's with basically this.

caketastydelish likes this.
  10. Serutan

Agreed. Troy was good, but he was by no means elite.

11. Serutan

Just saw that Mariota was sacked NINE times tonight :eek: . Is he even going to be able to walk after this season?

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I thought the Titans would win last night :blush: I wasn't interested enough to watch the game though... TNF just sucks overall.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

They weren't "coverage sacks" either. The halftime adjustment was Mariota telling the center "snap it harder so I can start running sooner, they're getting to me before the ball." There was one play where in the end zone shot from behind the defense you could see every offensive lineman's name.

Their starting left tackle has one more game of suspension, and if Mariota can survive that one things will hopefully improve.

Hmmm...at the Falcons. Yeah, he might make it without any hospitalization.

14. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

He took like 11 against the Ravens last year so this is just another day at the office

15. Serutan

Pats cut AB. Not smart to think you're above Darth Hoodie's rules. Also suspect the Pats may have been given a heads up on the contents of those texts...

16. caketastydelish

I hope no one signs him.

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Woulda been great if Brown venge-outted them for tampering.

The league statement effectively said they would put him on the exempt list if anyone does, so it seems unlikely that anyone will.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There's a truism in football: there is no defense against a perfectly thrown pass. I think that John Harbaugh has expanded that to recognize that even Baltimore's very good defense is not going to slow the Chiefs down all that much. He is going ALL OUT to score points; go for it on fourth down rather than kick a field goal, penalty cuts the extra point distance in half so go for two, everything but the kitchen sink. Watching the KC offense I can't blame him, and that's the KC offense without Tyrek Hill or their starting running back. These dudes are scary as hell.

19. caketastydelish

I didn’t watch that game. It’s hard for me to put the Chiefs as serious contenders unless their defense takes it up a notch from last year. While I haven’t seen any Chiefs games, it doesn’t appear that it has.

It’s hard for me to see them beating the Patriots in particular right now.

20. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

lol I started the Seahawks D and I've never been so happy to have my fantasy defense torched

I'd say "this is karma" but karma was the time I'm 90% sure I sprained my MCL during Super Bowl XLIV because I was an idiot