1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Sounds like a helluva Superbowl Party.[party]

A party ain't a party unless someone sprains/breaks something (including windows/furniture), gets in a fight, or goes to jail.

In other news... it looks like the bird teams got swept this week.

2. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Unfortunately the story isn't that great, it's me being a huge dork

It was at my parent's house, we had some company over to watch although not a huge crowd - for some reason people in the Atlanta metro weren't super hyped for a Saints Super Bowl :dunno:

Anyway my mom wouldn't watch because she insisted she was a jinx. She grew up in New Orleans and lived through the Aints years (the old joke was you could leave two Saints tickets on your windshield for someone to take and you'd come back an hour later to four Saints tickets on your windshield)

Well Tracy Porter gets that interception TD return and everyone goes nuts. I shot off the couch like an idiot and ran upstairs to tell her and I slipped and banged my knee square onto the front of the stair. I didn't go to the doctor because it never hurt really bad, so I may be wrong about it being the MCL precisely, but I could tell something did not feel right and it was pretty uncomfortable to walk on for about a week (though it stopped being "painful" after a couple). Feel like I dodged a bullet.

3. Sommerswerd

That's a good story. I figured it was something like that:D

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Chiefs are 2-3 vs Pats over the past 5 games. Other than Chiefs blowing them out in 2014 and winning by 15 in 2017, the three Patriots wins were all within 1 score, including the playoff game last season.

It is easily conceivable that KC could beat NE in the playoffs. Even if they're not favored, the difference between the two isn't so great.

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

I’m still salty about the Seahawks/Saints game but I’ll give Light_Cleric this much credit: Teddy Bridgewater was offered to be the Dolphins starting QB but turned it down to stay with the Saints. I bet he’s feeling pretty good about that right now.

6. caketastydelish

The Pats are unbelievable this year though.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

NE wins:
    • PIT (0-3)
    • MIA (0-3)
    • NYJ (0-3)
    KC wins:
    • JAX (1-2)
    • OAK (1-2)
    • BAL (2-1)
    If "doing well this year" is your metric, KC is the more impressive team. Especially because Miami is historically terrible and the Jets are trotting out Luke Falk as their starting QB.

The win over Pittsburgh in week 1 looks impressive at least, since they were close in their other games.

Mahomes is legit making accurate throws across body/off back foot, to the point of baiting zone defenses with rolling just to open someone up in a spot of the field most QBs can't hit. Consistently. NE might beat them, but it's no gimme; Mahomes reads defenses well too.

8. caketastydelish

I don’t see the Kansas City defense shutting New England’s offense down or anything remotely close to it. Meanwhile the Patriot defense is at least competent. Thus, they are overall a stronger team. The Chiefs defense is still too weak.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Slightly stronger overall =/= for sure will win a particular playoff game.

Consider the PHI/NE superbowl, for example. The (much) better QB on average lost that game, despite that it was a record setting shootout.

Given the last few games between these teams have been close I see no reason you anticipate otherwise this year...most of the key personnel is still around on both.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Beating three winless teams is pretty believable. Even the Cowboys have done better than that. Basically, we know very little about the Cheatriots on either side of the ball. Their defense shut down...the Dolphins? So what? The Jets third string quarterback? Again, so what? Their offense ran up the score against the Dolphins...who gave up 59 to the Ravens.

11. caketastydelish

They destroyed the Steelers which might be the best 0-3 team in football... and they did it while they still had Big Ben.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Might, or might be exactly what they look like...a team with an aging quarterback and a serious need for a rebuild. Shuster is a solid number two receiver that has yet to get open once against the coverage a number one guy draws. When the core of the offensive game plan is forcing the defense to deal with Antonio Brown it's pretty easy to say "we can manage just fine with an ordinary back and don't miss LeVeon Bell." Cut away the passing threat and the ordinary backs look...well...like the ordinary backs they are. They had to give up two first round picks in a desperate attempt to shore up the secondary, and a big part of that comes from not having a pass rush. And after ownership/management showed their commitment to winning by letting go of two top end talents rather than paying them the rest of the team seems to have pretty much quit in place. How you arrive at "best 0-3 team in football" is a mystery to me.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  13. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Re Teddy - Even before Brees got hurt, Miami's actions between his re-signing in NO and Week 1 were enough to make him look like a genius for turning them down.

That pretty much sums up their situation right now. And as stated previously, this might be it for Ben, 'cuz he was looking to be on the downslope anyway. Since I agree they're closer to a rebuild than a retool, giving up those picks was a mistake since it's just a Band-Aid.

In fairness to the team, when the let Bell go, they had no reason to believe they'd be losing AB. And as things turned out they're better off without AB even though it did wreck the offense. I think a nontrivial part of the 'quit in place' is that they're now tuning Tomlin out - if memory serves there were a number of players who were not happy with AB having a different set of rules than anyone else.

IMO the best response to 'best 0-3 team in football' is that old Parcells saying : "You are what your record says you are."
    Additionally it's not a very good reflection on a team when they get 5 turnovers, wind up +3 and can't win the game.

14. Light Cleric

Forgot to say it but I'm so proud of Teddy, I really didn't think we'd have a shot in that game and while he wasn't amazing he did what he was asked, made some nice throws and didn't turn it over.

For a guy whose leg basically exploded 3 years ago he's come one hell of a way and I'm so happy for him

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Let's not forget, when his leg exploded he was a very solid starting quarterback. His exploding leg didn't change the fact that he was a terrific arm talent. Sorry that Brees got hurt, but glad to see Bridgewater get a chance to show that he is wasted riding the bench. There are teams where he would be the starter...plenty of them.

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Here's their competition:
    • Jets
    • Dolphins
    • Bengals
    • Redskins
    • Broncos
    That's it. You can maybe make a case that Broncos, Bengals, or Redskins are better, but it's not particularly convincing either way. Steelers are reasonable contenders for "best 0-3/terrible team" right now, mostly because it's not a high bar. Tomlin is probably going to see his first losing season though.

This also means the Pats beating them shouldn't be seen as something very impressive. Pats have played basically nobody this year. Sucks how they consistently pull one of the league's easiest schedules because most of their division is a joke.

At least the Bills have a strong defense and a closer-to-average QB this year. They might get a wildcard even.

He turned down starting opportunity in Miami. In retrospect, seems quite wise. He could play his way into being Brees' long-term successor if he does well enough. Having a good supporting cast + coach is a much better situation than the dumpster fire in Miami.

17. Light Cleric

Don't get me wrong, I've been on the Teddy wagon for a while, I was glad we got him and I've tried to convince people he's at worst a decent QB.

The reason I doubted it this weekend was because Seattle has been a nightmare for us to play in (first person to link Beastquake gets a fleur-de-lis-tipped fireplace popker up their ass) and I think they've done a nice job reconstructing themselves post-LoB. I would've been worried even with Drew.

18. Sommerswerd

Jeez, do the 49ers get to be "amazing" too? They're 3-0 and beat the Steelers as well.

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

No because they didn't blow out a team that's intentionally tanking and play another mediocre team with a 3rd string QB. So obviously less impressive schedule padding compared to the Pats.

20. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I doubted just because of his lack of reps with the first team. It may take another couple of weeks for him to really round into form.
    But it sure looks like the worst case is he'll keep the the Saints afloat until Brees comes back.