2019 Rugby World Cup Thread!

Edmund Ironside

White Rabbit Object
Just wondered who else is following the Rugby World Cup. Who do people think will win? Thoughts on the matches so far?

My top 10 power rankings prior to the World Cup:
1. New Zealand
2. South Africa
3. England
4. Ireland
5. Wales
6. Australia
7. Scotland
8. France
9. Argentina
10. Japan

Last edited:
I'll watch a few of the final rounds and the final.
Until then, I'll just sing along with the Welsh.

Yesterday was proof that France (and obviously Argentina as well) isn't going to do well. NZ-SA was a much better game with far fewer mistakes made.
I hope the Irish or the Welsh go far, they've got the potential to defeat the southern teams

My top 10 power rankings after the weekend:
1. New Zealand
2. Ireland
3. South Africa
4. England
5. Wales
6. Australia
7. France
8. Scotland
9. Japan
10. Argentina

A decent first round of matches. No major surprises but some solid matches.
France vs Argentina managed to at least be exciting due to its closeness, even if not by quality.
New Zealand vs South Africa was the highest quality match so far (no surprise).
Ireland surprised me, they were clinical.

First notable upset at the World Cup with Uruguay beating Fiji.
In my opinion the key to this surprise result were:
1. Uruguay played really well!
2. Fiji's kicking was atrocious!
3. Fiji fell victim to the 4 day turn around having to field a weaker team (this short turn around is the biggest problem with the RWC's current format).
4. Fiji made too many handling errors (who would ever have thought that would be a weakness for a Fiji team).

My power rankings at just over the halfway stage of the pools.
1. New Zealand - Betting against them is like betting against the House.
2. England - The good form in the RWC warm up matches has continued, look tough to beat. Having 2 hard matches to finish the pool could be a problem though.
3. Wales - After iffy form in the warm ups, have been pretty convincing in the actual competition.
4. South Africa - As physical as the All Blacks, and almost as good in the backs (Kolbe is great). Would be higher, but unlike those above, they have tasted defeat, and no one yet has won a World Cup after losing a game.
5. Ireland - Brilliant against Scotland, shocked by Japan, underwhelming against Russia. Another Quarter final exit looms...
6. Australia - Australia always use to just sneak past Wales, the present team has now lost narrowly 2 games in a row to them. It is a small but significant difference.
7. France - Slightly improved since the Six Nations, but still not great. When was the last time they actually had a good team? Still you can never count them out in a World Cup.
8. Japan - Possibly deserve to be higher, just need to be sure they can follow up the shock win with a win against Scotland (something they failed to do in the last World Cup). Still they have home advantage and a good schedule this time, so...
9. Scotland - If this World Cup was in Scotland they might be a decent contender. It isn't and so they aren't.
10. Argentina - If only they could bring the Jaguares form into the international team. When was the last time they actually won a match against a tier 1 team!??
11. Italy - They've actually played about as well as I can remember them playing in a long time in this World Cup. Shame they sabotaged themselves with the red card against South Africa.
12. Fiji - For the 1st half against Australia and for the 2nd half against Georgia they were great. Lets just forget about the rest!
13. USA - Very poor performance against England, the score flattered them. Good performance against France, the score flattered France.
14. Samoa - Have a decent attack, but questionable kicking and tactical decisions have not helped them.
15. Tonga - They tackle hard, everything else they can do okay, but lack any real x-factor.
16. Georgia - Feels like they've been actually declining in the last few years.
17. Uruguay - They had their moment against Fiji, job done.
18. Russia - The best of the 3 teams who are lucky to be at the World Cup (ie. are worse than Spain & Romania). I've actually been pleasantly surprised by them.
19. Canada - Their missed tackle rate is terrible. Are they just too nice!?
20. Namibia - South Africa's Z team.

My power rankings after the pool stage.
1. New Zealand - Things have been easy for them, perhaps too easy, with too much rest between games. A match against Ireland, the only team who has won 2 out of their 3 encounters will prove telling. However I never bet against New Zealand. It is like betting against the house.
2. England - Few weaknesses, great strength in depth, and one of the best coaches. Maybe just maybe this could be their year...
3. Wales - I don't think they will win this World Cup. However this is the first World Cup I've seen them in that I think they genuinely have a team capable of going the whole way.
4. Japan - They have the best attack in the game, better even than New Zealand's I think. Their speed and rapid off loading is a sight to behold. The home crowd is another definite advantage they have, and their scrum is surprisingly good. However their kicking, defense, and line outs are all big concerns.
5. South Africa - Even though they lost to New Zealand, they still have a good chance of winning the whole competition. They would then break the whole "teams who lose games in the pool stage have never won the World Cup" thing.
6. Ireland - They have never got past the quarterfinals and now they face New Zealand. Their prospects don't look good. Still their team has actually played for the most part really well in the competition. Beating New Zealand in the Quarter Finals could be the boost they need to go on and win the whole thing!
7. Australia - This team has been pretty inconsistent so far. This reflects their 2019 as a whole, a year when they both thumped New Zealand and got thumped. Can they string 3 great performances together and win the whole thing? Probably not, but worryingly for England they are certainly capable of 1 great performance... England will be hoping Australia still haven't learned to not tackle at head height!
8. France - How can a team go undefeated in the pool stage and yet look this unconvincing. They struggled to win all their pool matches including surviving a late Tongan onslaught. Too bad we never got that England match to see what they are really made of. At least they have Vakatawa and Raka, who are both quality.
9. Scotland - The best team to have been eliminated. They really screwed themselves with a tepid performance against Ireland. In their rest of their matches they played some pretty good rugby. Though their tactics of an open running game against Japan did seem to play into their hosts hands.
10. Argentina - A narrow loss to France, and a red card against England, and their ship was sailed. Still even allowing for the red card, they still probably would have lost. If ever a team needed a big win, its Argentina.
11. Fiji - When they were good they were really good. Too bad they switched off in the second half against Australia, while their lack of strength in depth showed against Uruguay. On the plus side they have Radradra, who might just have been the best player at the World Cup.
12. Italy - Hard to know where to place this team. Way too good for the World Cup minnows of Namibia and Canada. Shot themselves in the foot against South Africa with the dumbest red card of the tournament yet. I think this team might be making improvements, but we will now have to wait for the Autumn internationals to be sure.
13. Tonga - Proved tough too beat, and in their last 2 games also showed some bite to their attack.
14. Georgia - If every match was played in torrential rain, this team might actually cause an upset or two!
15. Samoa - They had a few bright patches in their games against Japan and Russia. However overall this team is far removed from the Brian Lima led team that threatened big upsets at every World cup. Their performance against Irish team down to 14 men was woeful.
16. Namibia - For the first time ever they didn't come bottom of their group. They also were within 1 point of New Zealand at the half hour marks. Therefore this campaign can be considered a success. Shame the tsunami denied them the chance of a first ever win.
17. USA - They had the toughest group, they had the least rest days, while their fans at home had to watch matches which kicked offs at 3 am! It was a tough campaign, but they still under performed badly.
18. Uruguay - They may have finished bottom, but a win against Fiji, and not conceding any half century scores are both fine achievements.
19. Russia - For a team that only qualified due to 2 better teams being thrown out, they did surprisingly well. I admire their attacking enterprise.
20. Canada - In 1991 they were giving New Zealand a tough match in the quarter finals. Giving New Zealand a tough match and quarter finals are not things that will ever be said about their current team!

Just 4 teams left.
Based on quarter final performances I would rank the World Cup winning chances as follows:
1. New Zealand - They destroyed Ireland, nuff said! I just won't ever bet against the All Blacks.
2. England - This team means business and is clinical. They seem to have few to no weaknesses. The semi final between them and New Zealand is going to epic!
3. South Africa - Their performance in the first half against Japan was worthy of being eliminated there and then. Their performance in the second half was worthy of winning the World Cup. Which South Africa will show up against Wales?
4. Wales - They were the only of 1 the 4 teams to not have the game won until the very end. They also had arguably the weakest opponents in the quarterfinals. They will have to refind their Six Nations winning form if they are to reach the final.

That is the best I have seen England play since at least 2003! Can they now get revenge on South Africa for their World Cup Final defeat in 2007...

Apparently not.

I was only able to watch the first half and found it dissappointing that England repeatedly fell to the scrum penalty tactic.

Still well done, South Africa.

Well the Rugby World Cup has been and gone. Overall a success I think.
So in my humble opinion here are the top 5 worst things, and top 10 best things about the World Cup.

The Worst
5. The fixture list. Word Rugby did a good job of making the schedule fairer, with the tier 2 nations being less consistently screwed. However they cannot fix the overall problem with the format. Rugby is too physical to have games played more frequently than weekly. So the current format of 4 groups of 5 is always going to lead to a short turn around in certain matches, which then can prevent teams performing at their best or putting their best teams out. Come on World Rugby, lets just add 4 teams and move to the much more workable format of 6 groups of 4 teams.

4. The same teams in the finals. There has not been a new finalist since the 1995 World Cup final. Wales had the chance to change this, but were just edged out by South Africa in the semi finals.

3. Ireland. By far the best team to have never won a knock out match at the Rugby World Cup. Another Rugby World Cup has come and gone, and Ireland have yet again under performed.

2. So many cards. I applaud World Rugby for trying to make the game safer (something the NFL should take not of). However changing the tackling rules so close to the World Cup was always going to lead to a slew of cards, which is always going to be detrimental to the quality of the rugby played.

1. Cancelling 3 matches. World Rugby schedules the World Cup in Japan during the typhoon season. World Rugby "Its okay, we have robust contingency plans in place." Typhoon approaches Japan. World Rugby "its okay, we will take care of things by canceling all the affected matches." WTF! You had 10 years and that was the best you could come up with!!

The Best
10. Social Media. World Rugby provided great coverage of the World Cup through a number of platforms. I enjoyed a lot of the contents they put up on Youtube, particularly their Daily Show. Aside from official platforms, unofficial ones also provided great contents. My personal favorites were SquidgeRugby and TwoCentRugby on Youtube.

9. An even contest between the North and South. In the last World Cup all four semi finalists came from the Southern Hemisphere. This year, the final and semi finals were perfectly split, while the north held a 5-3 edge in the quarterfinals.

8. Cheslin Kolbe - Only 5 ft 7, and 180 lbs, but one of the best players of the tournament. Proof rugby still isn't exclusively a big mans game.

7. Uruguay vs Fiji - Uruguay winning was one of the first real big shocks of the tournament. Okay the schedule (mentioned previously) did not help Fiji, but it was still a great game and a big upset.

6. No cricket type scores - For the second World Cup in a row, no team conceded 75 or more points. This is evidence that the competition continues to get more competitive. Hopefully the days of Australia beating Namibia by 142 points is a thing of the past.

5. Japanese fans - Considering rugby is barely in the top 10 most popular sports in Japan, the country did a great job embracing the sport. They filled up all the stadiums, gave their team great support, and embraced all the other teams as well. If their response to the Rugby World Cup is anything to go by, then the Olympics next year are going to be awesome!

4. Semi Radrada - My favorite player to the watch in the tournament. Whenever he got the ball you knew something good was going to happen.

3. England vs New Zealand - The World Cup was in danger of getting as dull and predictable as the Rugby League World Cup (which Australia always wins). New Zealand were looking like they would win their 3rd World Cup in a row. Then this game happened! England may never have played better than they did in this match.

2. Siya Kolisi - His story is a great one. South Africa now hold the two most iconic World Cup winning trophy moments (with this one sitting just behind the Nelson Mandela 1995 one). It was probably right that they won this match, but maybe they could have thrown England a bone, and let them win that 2007 World Cup Final, as there was no iconic moment to be had!

1. Japan Rugby - Upset both Ireland and Scotland, produced 4 entertaining pool matches, and played rugby the way it is meant to be played. Just brilliant stuff.

If anyone is interested, here is a list of the 150 best rugby players to have played in the Rugby World Cup Era (1987-present). I compiled it from a wide variety of top rugby player lists taken from online and from books (plus a little bit of personal opinion).

1st Richie McCaw (NZL)
2nd Jonah Lomu (NZL)
3rd Brian O’Driscoll (IRL)
4th Dan Carter (NZL)
5th Martin Johnson (ENG)
6th Jonny Wilkinson (ENG)
7th David Campese (AUS)
8th Shane Williams (WAL)
9th Michael Jones (NZL)
10th Serge Blanco (FRA)
11th Joost Van Der Westhuizen (RSA)
12th George Gregan (AUS)