2020 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Quintillus, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I couldn't find a recent (newer than 2016) thread on the topic, so let's start one for the 2019 bowl season and 2020 regular season!

I'm watching what will most likely be the final bowl I watch of the 2019 season, the Citrus Bowl. Even before the game I was suspecting Alabama would probably win, but as a Big Ten fan, I have to root for Michigan over 'Bama. Still could go either way!

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

At halftime. The parallels between the Citrus Bowl and Fiesta Bowl are apparent, and not just in score (both 16-14). Ohio State and Clemson are better all-around teams, but the matchup is similar. Michigan, like Ohio State, looking like the better team but having to settle for field goals. And just like in the Fiesta Bowl, what should have been a sack on 3rd down by the team in the lead instead gets a 15-yard penalty, and a few plays later a touchdown that keeps it close.

I also hadn't realized how much of a weakness Alabama's D-Line was. Michigan's winning the battle on offense much more than in either of the other two games I saw them in (vs Penn State and Ohio State).

Also pleased to see Minnesota putting up a good show against Auburn.

3. topsecret

topsecret Believer Supporter

My team is the Tennessee Volunteers. They turned around the end of their bowl game versus Indiana in a thriller. We completed an onside kick and scored 14 in 30 seconds.

Excited to see what the Championship has in store. Clemson and LSU will be a good one. I am confident the Tigers will win it though. :p

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I have a hard time respecting CFB since they tend to snub teams that earn playoff berths based on W-L and opposing W-L. This year Memphis got the playoff snub, and what's pathetic is that it wasn't even considered close by most people. They had the hardest schedule among 1 loss teams though, a bit ahead of Oklahoma. I'd be less annoyed if people were having a hard time deciding between the two, but NCAA rankings didn't even consider this a choice to be made.

UCF basically won the national championship in 2017, and despite that they also weren't given serious consideration for a playoff berth.

5. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

All I have to say is, go Navy, beat Army. (Again.)

6. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Oh, hey, football . . .

7. ummmm........

Loser :p

IglooDude likes this.
  8. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

:lol:

Well, Army was due to finally score a TD on their home field against Navy, and for that matter to beat Navy on that home field, so I'm okay with it. :hatsoff:

9. ummmm........

Was a nice final Saturday of the regular season all around really. Looked like it was going to be a fairly crap day on paper with only one top-25 matchup, but we had several compelling games by the end of the night. Strong finish. Wonder what championship Saturday will give us . . .

10. ummmm........

Well that's about nine teams too many I'd say. RIP regular season :/