1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah yeah, I know. It isn't 2020 yet. It isn't the offseason yet. But for more than half the teams the season only has five days left. Some of those teams will be making the kind of off season decisions that we love to predict within a matter of hours (minutes) after close of business on Sunday.

So we need to get on the record with those predictions.

Two teams already fired their head coach.
    Short of "Eagles lose to Giants, 'pukes win to carry the division at 8-8, then ride miracle playoff run to super bowl championship" I see no way Jason Garrett remains employed.

Conventional wisdom says Kitchens in Cleveland, Marrone in Jacksonville, and Shurmer with the NYG are close to sure thing firings. I certainly can't defend any of these guys, but I'm gonna call it at two out of three with Shurmer surviving. I think Giants ownership, unlike Giants fans, had a realistic view of just what a feces show Shurmer was handed so they are going to be a little more patient.

Other candidates of lesser probability include:

Dan Quinn in Atlanta: Not sure what to think of this. The Falcons I think have underachieved horribly under Quinn, but I think it is possible that he learned from it and their recent run of pretty well played games might be a corner turned and worth giving another year to explore. Call him a keeper.

Anthony Lynn in north San Diego: Spanos needs a scapegoat in order to shoulder absolutely no responsibility, so Lynn is gone...and should be happy about it.

Zak Taylor in Cincinnati: One year with a horrible team should not be used as a valid test of his ability. But coaches who only find one win are hard to justify keeping. Cincinnati is not known for a hair trigger so I'm thinking he's safe.

Matt Nagy in Chicago: Last year, coach of the year, this year fired? Does that seem even remotely possible? In Chicago, anything is possible, but I think that's too crazy even for them.

So, I'm at a total of six head coaching changes for the year. Typical number. Ron Rivera gets one of the jobs, Mike McCarthy gets another. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jay Gruden get one.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That guy couldn't motivate a ham sandwich to stay in a paper bag. I cannot see any way that he doesn't "opt not to pursue another contract for personal reasons," but that's the only possibility I see other than getting fired outright.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Draft order:

1. Cincinnati (2-14)
    2. Washington (3-13)
    3. Detroit (3-12-1)
    4. NY Giants (4-12)
    5. Miami (5-11)
    6. LA Chargers (5-11)
    7. Carolina (5-11)
    8. Arizona (5-10-1)
    9. Jacksonville (6-10)
    10. Cleveland (6-10)
    11. NY Jets (7-9)
    12. Oakland (7-9)
    13. Indianapolis (7-9)
    14. Tampa Bay (7-9)
    15. Denver (7-9)
    16. Atlanta (7-9)
    17. Cowboys (8-8)
    18. Pittsburgh (to Miami) (8-8)
    19. Chicago (to Oakland) (8-8)
    20. LA Rams (to Jacksonville (9-7)

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Technically, Garrett cannot be fired since his contract has expired. I do not expect Jerry to offer him a new one.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

And on a slightly different note - I drove through Vegas yesterday, and saw the new Raiders stadium. Let's just say I won't be shocked
    if it's not ready for next season.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah. I actually expect Garrett to take the face saving "not seeking another contract" route rather than force Jones to outright say "we are looking elsewhere."
    I read somewhere...dunno where ATM...that the Raiders were already making arrangements for a temporary venue next season.

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

How am I subscribed to this thread without a single post? Oh well... At least I don't have to go looking for it. @Timsup2nothin I still think Garrett survives... again. Folks have been clamoring for his well deserved firing for years, and its never happened yet.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That would be me snatching a quote from another thread to bait you in. :lol:

9. Sommerswerd

Well it worked. Well done you :goodjob:

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There's still time to make some sort of prediction for black Monday, even though Cleveland has jumped the gun, as usual.

11. Sommerswerd

I think Cinci moves on to a new coach, as do the Chargers, Redskins, New York Football Giants, and Detroit. I'm guessing Ron Rivera is headed to Washington or New York if Washington fumbles him.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I think Ron Rivera has his pick of jobs and I can't imagine Washington being his preference.

Speaking of "have your pick," let's posit that Jerry Jones calls you up and says that he is removing himself from the process of picking the next coach of the Cowpukes, and wants your input. He's willing to do whatever it takes. Pay any money, give up authority, even give up the draft pick to poach someone from their current contract if that's what it takes. Who you gonna get?

13. Sommerswerd

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Heard it reported that Rivera will be Washington's next coach. From a respected source.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Does hiring him make sense if you aren't prepared to let him cheat?

I see they fired Bruce Allan. That's maybe half of what it would take to make that a decent job. Maybe Snyder will sign some sort of "I will never leave the owner's box and will keep my mouth shut" agreement.

EDIT: I'm seeing plenty of "Washington wants Rivera" and "Washington intends to move fast." What I'm not seeing is any indication that Rivera wants to move fast. Seems to me he'd be foolish not to at least look at other offers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  16. Sommerswerd

First off... I thought this was Jerral Jones we were talking about? You really think he'd have a problem with Billy B's antics if the result was Superbowl wins?

Secondly... you're moving the goalpost on me a little here. You said, quote: "He's willing to do whatever it takes. Pay any money, give up authority..." etc. I'd say "cheat" is implicitly included in "whatever it takes"... which is part of why I so quickly and smugly replied "Belichick obviously" :p

But if the question is really "Who besides Belichick?" then my inclination is Tomlin. This season alone proves that he has an astonishing ability to make lemonade out of lemon peels. That Steelers team this year should have been competing with the Bengals for the first pick not clinging to playoff hopes right down to the last game.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    TheMeInTeam likes this.
  17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

4 hours ago on espn

The Washington Redskins are expected to hire former Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera as their next head coach, barring unforeseen developments, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Adam is usually correct in these matters.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Jerry will do a lot of stuff, but I don't know that he would condone outright cheating. I did say whatever it takes though, so conceded.

I agree about Tomlin. Dude proved all there was to prove this year, and still hasn't coached a losing season.

@rah, I agree that Schefter is a good source. I still don't get it though. Why would Rivera commit to that job before anyone else has a chance? I'd take the Giants job ten times over that job, and I'd be surprised if he isn't first in line for the Dallas job. If I were him I'd be keeping Washington in my pocket as a fallback position, but I'd sure not be outright accepting their offer.

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, wouldn't be my first choice either, but figured they offered him something he couldn't refuse. ;)

20. Sommerswerd

The Dallas job is a poison pill. Big Jerruh interferes too much. Also, Garrett still has a winning record overall and has actually won the division every other year for the last 6 seasons, so whoever comes in his place is going to be expected to win the Superbowl immediately. That's literally the only reason to fire Garrett. Because other than that he has been a pretty good coach for the Cowboys... in much the way that Romo was a pretty good quarterback. If I was Rivera, I wouldn't want to be coming in with that on my back. I'd want to take a dumpster fire where there would be minimal expectations and I would be given maximum control to build/run a team as I saw fit. So Giants, yes... Dallas, no way.