1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

<content removed by author>

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Technically, Garrett cannot be fired since his contract has expired. I do not expect Jerry to offer him a new one.

3. Serutan

And on a slightly different note - I drove through Vegas yesterday, and saw the new Raiders stadium. Let's just say I won't be shocked
    if it's not ready for next season.

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

How am I subscribed to this thread without a single post? Oh well... At least I don't have to go looking for it. @Timsup2nothin I still think Garrett survives... again. Folks have been clamoring for his well deserved firing for years, and its never happened yet.

5. Sommerswerd

Well it worked. Well done you :goodjob:

6. Sommerswerd

I think Cinci moves on to a new coach, as do the Chargers, Redskins, New York Football Giants, and Detroit. I'm guessing Ron Rivera is headed to Washington or New York if Washington fumbles him.

7. Sommerswerd

8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Heard it reported that Rivera will be Washington's next coach. From a respected source.

9. Sommerswerd

First off... I thought this was Jerral Jones we were talking about? You really think he'd have a problem with Billy B's antics if the result was Superbowl wins?

Secondly... you're moving the goalpost on me a little here. You said, quote: "He's willing to do whatever it takes. Pay any money, give up authority..." etc. I'd say "cheat" is implicitly included in "whatever it takes"... which is part of why I so quickly and smugly replied "Belichick obviously" :p

But if the question is really "Who besides Belichick?" then my inclination is Tomlin. This season alone proves that he has an astonishing ability to make lemonade out of lemon peels. That Steelers team this year should have been competing with the Bengals for the first pick not clinging to playoff hopes right down to the last game.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    TheMeInTeam likes this.
  10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

4 hours ago on espn

The Washington Redskins are expected to hire former Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera as their next head coach, barring unforeseen developments, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Adam is usually correct in these matters.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, wouldn't be my first choice either, but figured they offered him something he couldn't refuse. ;)

12. Sommerswerd

The Dallas job is a poison pill. Big Jerruh interferes too much. Also, Garrett still has a winning record overall and has actually won the division every other year for the last 6 seasons, so whoever comes in his place is going to be expected to win the Superbowl immediately. That's literally the only reason to fire Garrett. Because other than that he has been a pretty good coach for the Cowboys... in much the way that Romo was a pretty good quarterback. If I was Rivera, I wouldn't want to be coming in with that on my back. I'd want to take a dumpster fire where there would be minimal expectations and I would be given maximum control to build/run a team as I saw fit. So Giants, yes... Dallas, no way.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

It's worthing noting that with the kind of talent the Cowboys actually have on their roster this year, they massively underperformed. About as much as the Browns IMO.

In any event, one fun thing about being the Redskins head coach from a defensive-minded head coach is the one thing they DO have is a solid front 7 and they could very well add Chase Young to it. If they did (while retaining everything else they already have) it would instantly make it 49ers quality IMO. Two of their division rivals (Eagles and Cowboys) almost always have solid offensive lines, so this is a requirement if you want to put any kind of pressure on them to win games.

edit: It's worth noting that according to here they've put up the fourth-most sacks in the league despite not having a good secondary to help the front 7, or a good offense to make the pass rushers job easier. Add Chase Young to that and they could very well take the number one spot in 2020.

edit 2: With that being said, Chase Young obviously doesn't fill a position of need for them, but when what is easily the best player in the draft is available to you at the second overall pick, you should generally take him no matter what. If I were a fan of that team (or any other team) that didn't pick him in that situation, I'd be outraged.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Jason Garrett, as poorly as I think of him, can't possibly be worse than Freddy Kitchens so the worst-case scenario is the team stays the same.

15. Serutan

If Rivera does sign there, I suspect he will have gotten the right to approve any GM hire. W.r.t. Allen, Snyder had long since learned that if he wanted a credible coach, he would have to fire Allen. Given that attendance is melting away there, he might actually sign that
    agreement you mention.

Indeed. When I checked this afternoon and saw Rivera had not signed, it would seem you are right although Shefter is reporting that that's just because "details" are being worked out (i.e. that agreement you mention).

Re Garrett - Supposedly the Giants would be interested in him; nothing about the Browns.

16. Serutan

I think you are correct that this will be a deterrent to a lot of coaches. If my previously stated theory about Jerry dumping Garrett due to feeling the cold caresses of the Grim Reaper are correct, I think that he will back off for 2-3 years (i.e. about the amount of time he was able to keeps his hands off of Jimmy Johnson and Parcells) and then it will be business as usual.

17. Sommerswerd

The Cowboys are his very large, expensive, shiny, toy. He ain't gonna stop interfering... as he gets older and older he has less and less interesting things to play with.

18. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Another benefit of that is it gives them another year to solidify their offense line. It would be inhumane to put a rookie QB behind that mess.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  20. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

Miami fired their O-Line coach as well. And between the slew of draft picks and free agency I expect the offensive line is going to look very different next year, but yeah it takes time for an O-Line to come together, so letting someone like Tua sit while the line gets itself together makes sense.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how Tua comes back from his surgery and if teams wanna go all in on Tua and trade up. Or I could see the Chargers (who pick right after Miami) putting together a viable package to leap frog up a few spots (i.e. essentially swapping the #6 pick for a 2,3,or 4 spot), but aren't they more in a "win now" mode and would want to give up their pick for a veteran, like Cam Newton? Otherwise its gonna cost a boatload of draft capital to move into spots 2,3, or 4.

D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019