1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Detroit already has a quarterback.

And having a good pass rusher in a pass happy league is pretty important, I would say.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Yeah, they’ll most likely trade up. And they certainly have the draft capital to do so.

edit: it’s also worth noting that the Redskins themselves could select Tua if they aren’t happy with the first round pick QB they just acquired. The Cardinals had no problem making that move, and it turned out reasonably well.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Fair point. In that case either Washington trades down or selects Young. Pass rusher is hardly a need for the team compared to many other spots on the roster, but that doesn’t matter when this is the value we are dealing with.

The Cardinals just shouldn’t have selected Rosen in the first place. Whether he’s a bust or is a legit starting QB who was thrown to the wolves remains to be seen, but either way they made a huge mistake and paid for it.

As a Seahawks fan, I can tell you I will be scared of the Cardinals for at least one game a year so long as they have Murray, something that wasn’t the case with Rosen. Also, this is a for profit industry and the Cards are FAR more entertaining/watchable with Murray than Rosen. If the owner of the Redskins thinks Tua can give him more profitability than Haskins, he might interfere and demand it (I’m being serious).

Isabella is probably a bust but that’s their own fault... D.K. Metcalf and some other better wide receivers were still available. Not that they didn’t have the draft capital to acquire a legitimately good WR.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Dont the owners also profit from TV ratings of games/advertisements? Or do I have that wrong?

If I’m right, it makes a difference because an “entertaining” QB can potentially generate much better ratings than a bland one.

The Cards were not a particularly good team last year but you could still watch their offense without wanting to fall asleep.

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Fair enough, thanks for that, wasn’t aware.

Edit: I’m not serious anymore, but the other argument you could make is giving Washington an absolutely stacked defensive line could be bad for America’s team. :lol:

edit 2: in other unrelated news, I wonder what’s gonna happen to the Chiefs when Mahomes rookie contract ends. There’s not a chance on earth they are keeping that team assembled unless he offers a serious home town discount (which I highly doubt). Would this make Kansas City Green Bay 2.0 ? Lol. They had better draft well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  6. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Speaking of which, what do you anticipate the ratio of Raiders/Chargers when the Raiders have their extra home game in LA with visit the Chargers?

7. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Not to ruin your joke but I'm like 80% sure something of that manner happened at a Skins/Cowboys game in Fed Ex like 5-7 years ago. Went pretty underreportted though compared to if it would have been in Boston or Philly.

8. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

This happens at ever Niners - Raiders game.

9. Serutan

He wasn't joking. Also for most of the Cardinals' time in AZ those kind of ratios were common when the Bears, Cowboys,
    Broncos, and Steelers were in town.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I have never heard of this. In which direction does that go ?

edit: random unrelated note: Can I see the coMaine players listed from who got the highest grade to the lowest? Is there anywhere on the internet where this is possible ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

12. Serutan

And I suspect stand a fair chance of being behind a paywall.

caketastydelish likes this.
  13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Is it a bad thing that I’ve already decided I’m gonna be depressed if the Seahawks don’t draft YGM?

(Yetur Gross-Matos)

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I don’t. I want YGM. :mad:

15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Tannehill had a vastly superior support squad.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

We have different opinions about what Brady is still capable of.

17. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

That’s fair. Brady only makes sense if they think he’s an upgrade and they think they’re in win now mode. Although, they might believe both are true.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Championships are very hard. I don’t think Denver regrets it. Remember a lot of franchises haven’t won a Super Bowl in a hell of a long time, and some haven’t even won at all. Going “all in” and getting a Super Bowl out of it only to collapse afterwards is a valid thing to do, even if it isn’t ideal.

19. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I don't particularly agree with it but their logic probably involves some combination of the following:

-Brady's name would bring in huge $$$
    -Tannehill's year may have been a flash in the pan contract year thing and they aren't comfortable with a huge long-term commitment to him, whereas Brady would be 2 years tops. There's a reason "Tannehill ready for a breakout year" became a meme after it was said for 6 straight years.
    -Tannehill has torn the same ACL twice. That's probably in the back of their minds but I'm not a medicine scientist so I have no clue how significant it is at this point.
    -Related to the second point, they want to commit to Derrick Henry more than Tannehill and a contract with Brady would be much easier to mess with cap-wise since there wouldn't be huge money in the later years so they could backload Henry's contract and not deal with multiple massive contracts at once like Gurley+Goff or, most likely, Elliot+Dak. Paying that kind of money to a RB is a luxury you have if you end up just drafting a young QB, assuming nothing big changes with the new CBA and rookie contracts.
    -The connection with Vrabel and the idea of having an old teammate you won multiple rings with as your QB for his final run
    -They see their defense and running game as solid enough that they think Brady could do what 2016 Peyton did and helped get them over the top with his football mind even though he '"couldn't play dead in a western" as DeAngelo Williams put it beautifully.

caketastydelish likes this.
  20. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I don’t think it would take him forever to find a QB that is at least decent. Although, they might have to give up a lot in order to trade up to get one. I think Belichick knows what to look for in finding a franchise QB. He was already more than happy to ditch Brady and replace with Jimmy G but then Kraft stopped him. I think Jimmy G would have been decent.

edit: random thought: it should be interesting to see if Andy Reid can win more Super Bowls with Mahomes once he’s off his rookie contract. I personally doubt it unless he signs a team friendly deal, but we'll see.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020