1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Fair enough, wasn't aware of this. In that case, it is silly this hasn't been taken care of a long time ago.

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Judging by his last apology (I didn't realize how good I had it with Ben), one could be persuaded that he hasn't quite figured out the
    "laying the groundwork to avoid jail" part. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it would seem like his best shot at a
    "get out of jail free" card would be to have a teary eyed announcement that he realizes he has anger issues and is seeking help.

3. Serutan

Since he's nearsighted, one would think that would show up in his INT rate getting disproportionately higher the longer the throw (no, I don't know if that's true). So yes, you'd think so. Of course if the primary problem is behind his eyes (and his off field history suggests this is in play) then the Lasik won't help as much as it could.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Lasik brain surgery, maybe?

5. caketastydelish

Allegedly, the Raiders plan to offer Brady a two year, 60 million dollar contract.

Personally, I think Carr is good enough to be a long term solution. And he has a similar play style to Brady regardless. If this is true, I don’t get it.

6. Serutan

Indeed. If they sign Brady they'll have to replace him in the next couple of years, and I doubt Carr would be a Raider at that point.

Looks like Gruden's incompetence at GMing may be starting to show through.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that if that rumor gets traced back to any actual source that has anything to do with the Raiders then they just violated the tampering rules. Which doesn't mean that the Raiders didn't do it, of course. It also doesn't mean that if they did do it they actually meant it.

The key here is that the 30 million per year number already leaked out of Foxboro, and the Patriots are mad about that. It seems likely that internal discussions of a "well, we can go thirty but see if we can hold it down a bit" are now in the hands of Brady's agent, so the "hold it down a bit" part is out the window. So, let's say the Raiders, or some other team, has some back channel that they know cannot be traced, and starts a 30 million per for two years rumor. Now the Patriots are even more stuck. Brady's agent is telling them his guy doesn't have to sign a one year deal, he can test the waters. The Patriots have to sign Brady, and they undoubtedly know it.

And Brady has to sign with the Patriots.

8. caketastydelish

Why does Brady have to sign with the Patriots ?

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Because Brady has two reasons to sign with anyone...first, the validation of actually being paid what he is worth.

But more importantly, to win another championship. The Patriots went 12-4, won their division handily, and can sign him and still spend draft and cap on getting some skill position players to improve on that performance. There is no team out there that is "a quarterback away and Brady puts us over the top." For one thing at this point he is neither good enough nor durable enough to really lift anyone, so it has to be a team that is already close. And all the teams that are close have a quarterback that they are paying way too much money to to consider switching over.

The outside chance is the Bucs. They have a coach that Brady probably respects. They have a good line. They have a good defense. And they have top notch receivers. But they were 7-9. In a division with the Saints. In a conference with a bunch of very serious contenders. Does Brady make them five wins better? Is five wins better even enough? I don't see him making that bet.

The other thing is the structure of his contract, which is something I wasn't aware of until recently. He's a free agent when the league year starts, because he had a player option. If he takes that player option the Patriots get hit for thirteen million in dead money from his previous contract even if they sign him in free agency. Ergo, they HAVE to sign him before he actually hits free agency, or they probably can't afford to. So, I expect that they will all sit around talking about this thirty million per year until two days before the league year starts. At that point the tampering rules come off and Brady gets to see what teams will really offer him, which is what he wants to do for the first time in his career. And the Pats have two days to sign him before he is really a free agent that would double bust their cap. That's when, and where, he signs, unless Aryans can convince him the Bucs have as good or better a shot than the Cheatriots have...and are willing to pay the price.

10. caketastydelish

I don’t think AFC East will be a joke. The Bills are already legit. The Jets appeared to be legit after Sam Darnold came back. Even the Dolphins started showing significant improvements near the end of the season, and considering their draft capital and cap space they’re almost guaranteed to get even better. And they usually lose against the Dolphins at least once a season anyway. I don’t think the division will be a cakewalk for the Pats as it’s been in the past. It might even be the toughest division in the AFC (I am being serious).

11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

If Brady signs with the Patriots again, they will cruise to the AFC East title just as they have always done. I'm going on record with that prediction right now.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The opposition may be more challenging (as you say, "legit") but I doubt that anyone would expect the Cheatriots with Brady to fall short of the same 12-4 range or fail to win the division. When Vegas posts odds for division winners I guarantee that the Cheatriots, if they have Brady, will be the shortest odds in the league.

13. caketastydelish

They’re also losing some key pieces to free agency, especially on defense. Don’t expect the team, overall to improve. I can buy they’ll give Brady better weapons but that defense (which was a decisive factor to the Patriots being a solid team this season) is all but guaranteed to regress.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Regress how much? It was good enough to go 12-4 while saddled with an offense that was honestly in shambles for most of the season. They can regress some amount and if paired with a decent offense still be expected to put up a better year.

15. caketastydelish

I still think all three of their division rivals will have rosters that are similarly capable and talented. If I’m right about that, it’s really hard to put up a better season record than 12-4 in those circumstances.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The Dolphins are either flying with Fitzpatrick or a rookie quarterback, trying to gel on the offensive line, and aren't really that heavy on defense. I don't see them making the leap to challenging the Cheatriots this year. Darnold isn't a sure fire top end quarterback yet, and the Jets last season when he was out showed zero. They also I think are at least a season away from really being a threat. The Bills are coming together, for sure, but last season I think they showed that even a mediocre Cheatriots team still robs them of their mojo. Until they show that they can overcome the damage that years of beatdowns have done to them I'm on 'wait and see.' All three teams are getting better, for sure, but I think we are still a year or two away from a really competitive AFC East.

17. caketastydelish

Perhaps. I think it’s actually a good thing (for Darnold) that the Jets sucked ass without him, because that eventually justifies giving him a huge contract after the rookie deal because he is good enough to be a long term solution for the indefinite future. Something that franchise has not had in a long time.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There's 32 jobs, and at any given time there seems to be about 25 guys on the planet qualified to hold them. I'd definitely say that Darnold is one of them for the reasonably foreseeable future, but there's still a significant chance he'll get screwed up somehow...because Jets.

19. caketastydelish

I said myself before Sam Darnold was even drafted that he was the one QB prospect out of that draft you can’t mess up because he was already a complete player for the NFL coming out of college. The Jets were smart enough to just pick the safest one and it paid off.

edit: almost all mock drafts had the Browns taking Darnold at number one overall for that reason. The most complete, pro ready QB fell into their laps and they took advantage.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You may be underestimating the Jets. Just sayin'.