2020 NFL offseason thread

There’s a reasonably good chance the draft will be canceled. At the very least, I’m sure fans won’t be allowed to attend.

The big media circus probably will be, but the draft itself will happen on schedule.

I never saw any reason to believe the Brady/49ers bit anyway. Two gigantic QB contracts on the same team? How's that even supposed to work?

Because Jimmy G was allegedly going back to New England.

Because Jimmy G was allegedly going back to New England.

How was that supposed to happen? Sign Brady as a free agent and New England out of the goodness of Billy Bellyache's heart makes a trade to take his contract off their books for them? Not bloody likely. At that point everybody just does a wait and see on whether they are forced to cut him. Unless they just put a total fire sale price on the trade, of course

Jimmy G is at the worst an average starting QB in the league and we already know for a fact that he excels in Belichicks system.

His contract is not as expensive as it was (they get cheaper over time, relatively speaking as there is now already players being paid more than him and trend will continue). He’s less likely to deteriorate any time soon. Or if he does, it won’t be because of his age. Finally, Jimmy G is unlikely to be THAT much more expensive than whatever they’d have to pay Brady, so it evens out.

It’s also worth noting that Belichick wanted Jimmy G to take over in New England and get rid of Brady in the first place until Kraft interfered.

None of that changes the fact that taking him off SF's hands would be letting them off the hook for no reason at all when all they have to do is wait for him to get cut since there's no way SF keeps him and signs Brady.

Flip side...Titans made a mutually favorable deal with Tannehill. Big time QB money, yes, but not the roster buster that recent history suggested could happen. Titans have four years as contenders, barring injury.

LMAO

WTF ARE THE TEXANS DOING

TUNE IN NEXT YEAR WHEN BILL O'BRIEN TRADES DESHAUN WATSON FOR ADRIAN PETERSON AND A 6TH

no seriously get a real GM before he runs this franchise into the ground

LMAO

WTF ARE THE TEXANS DOING

TUNE IN NEXT YEAR WHEN BILL O'BRIEN TRADES DESHAUN WATSON FOR ADRIAN PETERSON AND A 6TH

no seriously get a real GM before he runs this franchise into the ground
LOLs somebody literally just came up to me ranting and raving about this:lol:

Although, I will say that when the Steelers dumped Antonio Brown they ended up looking like geniuses in the end after everything was said and done.

If it comes out that Hopkins is a complete locker room cancer and called BOB a cracker then I will revise this yes

As far as I've heard though he hasn't had any diva tendencies even playing with trash QBs most of his career. With AB you could see glimpses of his real personality peek through.

My guess would be clearing cap space for the pending Watson contract. They just have to hope they can rookie deal a replacement receiver that Watson can make look like a superstar.

Yeah, that was almost certainly it. It’s hard to believe they couldn’t have gotten anything better out of it than that, though. But it’s certainly no worse (from their point of view) than the Clowney trade.

Life just got a lot easier for Kyler Murray, and we haven’t even had the draft yet. And this is a draft with deep talent and wide receiver and offensive line, and they have pretty good picks. With this, they can complete their offense in short time.

Last edited:
My guess would be clearing cap space for the pending Watson contract. They just have to hope they can rookie deal a replacement receiver that Watson can make look like a superstar.

That can't be it. Johnson has an $11 mil cap hit this year so they'd only gain 3 million.

That can't be it. Johnson has an $11 mil cap hit this year so they'd only gain 3 million.

His contract was backloaded, for reasons unknown, and the next two years were big numbers. If it was a cap clear they took the hit this season anticipating they will need the space going into Watson's option year next season. Or maybe they're just idiots. Hard to tell sometimes.

His contract was backloaded, for reasons unknown, and the next two years were big numbers. If it was a cap clear they took the hit this season anticipating they will need the space going into Watson's option year next season. Or maybe they're just idiots. Hard to tell sometimes.

Johnson's cap hit is 9 mil next year too. I think they're just idiots.

Johnson's cap hit is 9 mil next year too. I think they're just idiots.

Hopkins was 12.5, then 13, and 14 the year after that. They might be just idiots, and they might have been just idiots when they gave him that contract. Not like they couldn't have predicted the coming cap crunch. Maybe they counted on more relief from the CBA than they got?

Hopkins was 12.5, then 13, and 14 the year after that. They might be just idiots, and they might have been just idiots when they gave him that contract. Not like they couldn't have predicted the coming cap crunch. Maybe they counted on more relief from the CBA than they got?

He's a top 3-5 receiver and only 27; that contract is VERY reasonable for him.

They have no 1st round pick to try and replace with in a WR-rich draft (and no 1st OR 2nd next year) because they traded an arm and a leg for an LT who yhey'll have to overpay or replace after this year.

It makes absolutely no sense; trade your good players because you don't want to pay them, but also trade away picks for players you'll have to pay.

He's a top 3-5 receiver and only 27; that contract is VERY reasonable for him.

They have no 1st round pick to try and replace with in a WR-rich draft (and no 1st OR 2nd next year) because they traded an arm and a leg for an LT who yhey'll have to overpay or replace after this year.

It makes absolutely no sense; trade your good players because you don't want to pay them, but also trade away picks for players you'll have to pay.

It is a wide receiver rich draft, and AZ's second round pick is not that far away from the first round. They may think they can draft his replacement directly with the pick they got for him.

Look what Miami has done in free agency to already tremendously improve the team. And we even gotten to the draft yet...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...itment-add-free-agent-linebacker-kyle-van-noy

They already made serious progress near the end of this year with this I highly doubt they’ll be a joke.

edit: by “near the end of this year” I meant they really started to get their act together near the end of the 2019 regular season.

Last edited:
49ers fleeced Colts imo. From my understanding it would have almost impossible to be able to keep him anyway and now they get 13th overall for it. With this can easily just draft his replacement, except he would be on a rookie contract for the next several years. Lynch must be a pretty good GM, this isn’t first time he heavily won a trade (he traded down one spot so the Bears could select Tribusky and got a hell of a lot for it.)

In other news, the Browns are taking their offense pretty seriously. They added arguably the best free agent offensive lineman AND tight end to their team. If Mayfield cannot produce with this (as long as the rest of the teams offensive talent stays in tact), I’m done giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom