1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I remember when the super bowl winning quarterback would have set the completion percentage record at 87.5% but he didn't meet the ten attempt minimum to qualify by going 7 of 8 on the day.

BTW...tracking sources...the biggest "evidence" anyone is citing regarding the Raiders moving Carr is "to make room for Tom Brady," a rumor that is apparently totally lacking in grounds itself. Based on this flawed piece of "hot take" several teams have said "well if he is available we will certainly be looking at what deal can be made," which has translated into "Raiders shopping Carr around."

My view on the Raiders, Gruden, and Carr, is based on things Gruden said in the first couple years after the Bucs fired him. He went to Tampa and won the Superbowl with an aging journeyman quarterback handing the ball off and a superb defense that he inherited, and then spent most of a decade miserably going through drafts, trades, free agency, and looking under rocks without ever finding a quarterback. Whenever he was mentioned as the "potential new coach of <team that fired their coach>," which was a pretty constant drone the first couple years, he would say that he would never put himself through that kind of hopeless searching again and that the only way he would go back to coaching was with a team that already had a young talented quarterback that would last for as long as he was going to coach the team. He stopped saying it after a while, but I think that was more because he wasn't constantly being asked about this job or that job, not because he changed his mind.

So no. I think D. Carr being there was part of why he was willing to take the job, and I don't think he is trading Carr away.

caketastydelish likes this.
  2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

:mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha:

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Colts allegedly interested in Phillip Rivers. If so, I think that is a wise decision. They are already have a good oline (which he needs) so they can use their best draft capital to get him wide receivers in a class that is deep at the position.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Is there an unattached arm that they can draft and graft? Because the original one there is shot.

6. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Exactly. While I can understand the Colts being in the market for a QB, I don't think Ballard is going to go with the kind of Band-Aid solution that an almost if not already at the end of the road QB like Rivers or Brady would represent. If they're serious about getting rid of Brissett and going the FA route then IMO Bridgewater is the best choice. If they prefer drafting, then keep Brissett as the (if necessary) bridge QB.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

When looking at an old veteran band aid quarterback, or an all we need is the right triggerman to win it all this year situation, there's almost always that concern; is this the year he falls off the cliff? I say "almost always" because there's Rivers. You know this isn't going to be the season he falls off the cliff because he already did. There's plenty of excuse articles around; injuries on the offensive line, lack of receivers, blah blah blah, and I'm not saying that the Chargers would have been 11-5 instead of 5-11 and Rivers is the only issue. But I am saying that there were plenty of plays where he did have time and he did set up and throw, and anyone who watches the film and sees the ball leave his hand a few hundred times is going to say "yeah, he's done."

8. caketastydelish

Clowney has publicly stated that he’s open to offers from other teams besides Seattle. He has also stated he’s only interested in going to a contender, hence why he refused to go to Miami. What are the other realistic options who have the cap space for the kind of contract he will likely demand ?

edit: in other news, Vegas/Gruden allegedly interested in Mariota. Should be interesting if that turns out to be true.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Mariotta would make a good backup for Carr and should not be prohibitively expensive. I think a lot of teams are probably looking at him that way though.

Alex Ogletree is a free agent. Rams should be taking a close look at getting him back.

10. caketastydelish

Rams don’t even have the cap space to keep their current roster assembled.

edit: update: Colts and Patriots also allegedly interested in Mariota. I’m not sure what the Patriots in particular will do if they don’t get Brady resigned. And they will probably have to pay at least 30 mil a year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Brady seems to be getting re-signed by the Pats. He only wants a 2 year deal then he will retire. I'd be surprised if they didn't sign him, especially since he now seems to be willing to give them a little bit of a discount.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, Tagovailoa got the best possible health report. Miami is perfectly structured for taking him and sitting him for a year, but picking fifth may not get it done. If I were running Washington I would go all in on shopping the #2 pick and force Miami to make a deal.

13. caketastydelish

If that happens it’s the Lions dream come true. Getting to select the best player in the entire draft at #3 overall. Couldn’t ask for much better than that in a rebuild, especially when it’s a position of need regardless.

edit: FYI Chase Young is considered a better Nick Bosa and without a significant history of injuries.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Best player in the entire draft is such an apples and oranges thing. From the perspective of a team that really has no answer at quarterback, in a league where passing is king and every rule change seems designed to tilt the balance further in that direction, the best quarterback is going to be the best player.

It would certainly be a windfall for Detroit though, no question.

15. caketastydelish

Detroit already has a quarterback.

And having a good pass rusher in a pass happy league is pretty important, I would say.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Oh, no doubt that for Detroit Chase Young is the best player. But for Miami I'm thinkin' that Tagovialoa is the best player. For their purposes he might even be better than Burrow, because they won't have any quarterback controversy to deal with while they leave Fitzpatrick in there during one more year of building the team.

The question is, how does Miami get their hands on him? Can they hold on at the five pick and get him? I think there are too many teams right behind them that could make the deal to jump in front of them if they try to just stand pat.

17. caketastydelish

Yeah, they’ll most likely trade up. And they certainly have the draft capital to do so.

edit: it’s also worth noting that the Redskins themselves could select Tua if they aren’t happy with the first round pick QB they just acquired. The Cardinals had no problem making that move, and it turned out reasonably well.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I have seen some people suggesting that Washington is considering it. This situation is a little different though because of Tagovialoa's injury. Everyone is satisfied with his recovery being a full recovery in due time, but that doesn't mean he can play this season. That's actually an advantage for Miami, because even if Fitzmagic blows the lights out he's not "long term solution" material. But if Washington takes Tagovialoa on the 'wait a year' plan and Haskins looks really promising but not definitively great, then what do they do?

As to whether it "worked out" for the Cardinals; yes, they have a quarterback they seem happy with. That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is they spent the number ten pick in the draft on Andy Isabella, who last season I think had nine catches on thirteen targets. Isabella has upside potential, but it seems really unlikely that he is ever going to meet expectations for a top ten first round pick.

19. caketastydelish

Fair point. In that case either Washington trades down or selects Young. Pass rusher is hardly a need for the team compared to many other spots on the roster, but that doesn’t matter when this is the value we are dealing with.

The Cardinals just shouldn’t have selected Rosen in the first place. Whether he’s a bust or is a legit starting QB who was thrown to the wolves remains to be seen, but either way they made a huge mistake and paid for it.

As a Seahawks fan, I can tell you I will be scared of the Cardinals for at least one game a year so long as they have Murray, something that wasn’t the case with Rosen. Also, this is a for profit industry and the Cards are FAR more entertaining/watchable with Murray than Rosen. If the owner of the Redskins thinks Tua can give him more profitability than Haskins, he might interfere and demand it (I’m being serious).

Isabella is probably a bust but that’s their own fault... D.K. Metcalf and some other better wide receivers were still available. Not that they didn’t have the draft capital to acquire a legitimately good WR.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I think that Ron Rivera has been around long enough to have stuff built into his contract that would allow him to walk and still get paid if Snyder can't come to terms with doing his owning from the owner's box not the GM's office. I also don't see Tagovialoa being all that effective for putting extra butts in the seats in Washington over Haskins. What they need there is wins.

The Cardinals, by the way, don't worry all that much about fan support, since they can sell most of their otherwise empty seats to visiting fans pretty easily in most cases.